The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Goals conceded is the oldest and most accessible metric.

In fact sometimes it's the only metric used for judging a goalkeeper. Obviously we all want one that doesn't concede but we all know the amount of variables a keeper has to contend with in almost every shot stopping action of play. How far out was the shot? The angle? Was their view restricted? Deflection? Opposed or unopposed? Same with a midfielder and his interception stat, even if it was a poor pass from the opponent it would still count as 1. 

So when flash used xG (expected goals) to tell us how many goals the 2 keepers would have conceded by the end of the season, do you think he also checked the angle of the keeper every time and who was taking every the shot? 

Stats are a load of bull, not everything is taken into account with every single stat. 

I'd dispute that stats are a load of bull. They aren't the whole story though. 

The stats do support that McCrorie is a better keeper than Leighfield.  I don't need stats to come to that conclusion though. Stevie Wonder could see that he is.

Edit to add I'm not suggesting that you are stating that  Leighfield is the better keeper.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Calm doon Jack.

Sorry Rose. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'd dispute that stats are a load of bull. They aren't the whole story though. 

The stats do support that McCrorie is a better keeper than Leighfield.  I don't need stats to come to that coclusion though. Stevie Wonder could see that he is.

I'm not saying he isn't. 

Glad to see Stewart go out on loan. He's got a lot of potential, I'd have been happy with him being our #1 for the rest of the season.

Still, from the one game McCrorie's played for us so far, he looks like an upgrade. But you'll be absolutely fine with Stewart.

5 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Glad to see Stewart go out on loan. He's got a lot of potential, I'd have been happy with him being our #1 for the rest of the season.

Still, from the one game McCrorie's played for us so far, he looks like an upgrade. But you'll be absolutely fine with Stewart.

Hope you are correct. 

9 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Do you know how many goals he's expected to concede from now till the end of the season? 

Looking on the positive side, just for a change, I suppose back at the start of the season someone had said we can get this really top class young keeper in on loan until January, there wouldn't have been that many who said no, lets stick with what weve got.

16 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Looking on the positive side, just for a change, I suppose back at the start of the season someone had said we can get this really top class young keeper in on loan until January, there wouldn't have been that many who said no, lets stick with what weve got.

The deal was a season loan, I was happier with the original plan 😂 I think Stewart will be ok though, I’ve heard a few good things and the championship should be ok for him. 

13 hours ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Do you know how many goals he's expected to concede from now till the end of the season? 

I know you're joking and this is just a rough guide, but looking at his stats in the Development League, and then averaging out how potent Development League strikers are generally when they come into the Championship and using that to multiply the keeper's Development League stats, I would expect from now to June he will concede about a tree fiddy. 

2 hours ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Celtic have also recalled a couple of loan players from Championship teams to potentially loan out to Premiership clubs. 

Maybe a sign of what's to come in the near future if other Premiership teams follow that trend. 

I think in the case of Celtic and Rangers they might be motivated by the idea that a player could help take points off their only rivals for the title whilst not being able to play against the club they’re contracted to. Certainly think that would be part of the thinking with McCrorie. When the top 2 are that close, small margins might make a difference.

Loans to teams in the same league shouldn’t be allowed, imo.

I think in the case of Celtic and Rangers they might be motivated by the idea that a player could help take points off their only rivals for the title whilst not being able to play against the club they’re contracted to. Certainly think that would be part of the thinking with McCrorie. When the top 2 are that close, small margins might make a difference.
Loans to teams in the same league shouldn’t be allowed, imo.

I have thought this as well however I can see the loan rules changing over this as its making a mockery of the whole loan thing.
If a player is on loan for the season that shod be it unless his club need him because of emergency but once recalled the only club he can go to is the one he was on loan to.

7 minutes ago, gogs said:

I have thought this as well however I can see the loan rules changing over this as its making a mockery of the whole loan thing.
If a player is on loan for the season that shod be it unless his club need him because of emergency but once recalled the only club he can go to is the one he was on loan to.

Thats unworkable. If you remove the right to recall a loan in a window clubs simply wont loan players for a season. Why restrict your options with a player when you can just loan half a season and then renew if it suits.

Thats unworkable. If you remove the right to recall a loan in a window clubs simply wont loan players for a season. Why restrict your options with a player when you can just loan half a season and then renew if it suits.
Yes you could leave it at that but once recalled can't be loaned back out

12 minutes ago, gogs said:
27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes you could leave it at that but once recalled can't be loaned back out

Nobody is going to wear that. It is restrictive to player development and contrary to policy.