The Queen of the South thread

Yeh,agree Atlis.Queens goalkeeper in the first half looked decent.One or two Queens lads looked decent.Reckon big Marv will get the best of them.Good luck for the coming season.Will keep an eye on League 1 with interest. Get past Falkirk and you've cracked it.Lol.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's good to know tbh, wasn't really impressed with any of them. How did today's do? 

I thought all 3 of the trialists who started today were poor. 
The guy who came in 2nd half and played wide right initially and then left wing back did  look promising though. Not sure if he was trialist or one of our own young players.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Thought your keeper for the first half had a cracking game, looked to be really good. Kept it from being 3 or 4 in the first half. You look like a tidy enough team going forward, a lot of wee guys that are quick and run at defenders. I can imagine that'll have some success at League 1 level.

1 hour ago, Troy.1995 said:

Yeh,agree Atlis.Queens goalkeeper in the first half looked decent.One or two Queens lads looked decent.Reckon big Marv will get the best of them.Good luck for the coming season.Will keep an eye on League 1 with interest. Get past Falkirk and you've cracked it.Lol.

That's positive to hear. Good to hear Botterill had a cracker but then to balance it it's never great if your GK is your best player in the game. Nice to hear we looked good going forward today though given that's probably our biggest concern just now. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's positive to hear. Good to hear Botterill had a cracker but then to balance it it's never great if your GK is your best player in the game. Nice to hear we looked good going forward today though given that's probably our biggest concern just now. 

I think the main concern would be Reilly, but I may be being harsh on him as he wasn't great with us. Issue could be with finishing but creation looks to be fine, there were a few points where if we weren't smart in breaking up the play that you could've been clean through. 

Shinnie alone had about 3 when he came on, in a competitive fixture he would've seen yellow for at least 2. Then again on a booking he maybe doesn't make the same tackle again. 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Without patronising you guys,you boys have a budget for League One.Im sure Marvin will use his to the best of his ability.We on the other hand are Premier league. The job Martindale has on his hands is huge for the coming season,and Marv will tell you that.Lower league players from England with a chance to put themselves in the shop window are what we're relying on.With respect Queens ambitions might not be the same as ours.A wee diddy team like ours will hopefully continue to punch way above our weight.Incidently haven't been to the Palmerston Bar under your stand.Great afternoons there despite the result.So friendly and a pleasure to be there.Not all clubs are the same,but you guys are.Good luck in the forthcoming season.🦁👍.

Both our keepers had very good spells when they were on the pitch, thought Botterill probably should have done better with the goal though. The Nouble flick came at him from close range but it had next to no pace on it and he parried it in to a very dangerous area and we were punished. He did make an absolutely outstanding save from Kelly where he tipped wide when it looked a certain goal and did everything else well. 

Finally a trialist that looks well worth another look/contract, the winger then wing back (15) was very impressive. Blessed with pace and a bit of skill could be a great asset in league 1 where he was ghosting past some Livi defenders late on. 

Thought today was a very worthwhile exercise against a well organised experienced side.  It probably took us 25/30 mins to get remotely into the game, we struggled with big nouble and midfield runners but once the trialist (eze) got hooked we started to come into it and cause some problems. We will learn a lot more from our side playing games like that than playing nobody’s. Cochrane and Gav were standouts for me today, a thankless task upfront for gav but he done every he could pretty well. Logan at left back when he came on also did pretty well. Mckechnie needs some finishing training 1 of the 3 chances he had, he really had to be taken. Taken into account also the players missing as well, I think there is encouragement to be taken. We still need the 3 players most fans are quoting positionally and if we can get them and players back in fit, I think we may be in decent nick. 

On the trialist I thought he looked to have something, well worth another look. Think he must’ve been on trial at Livi before today giving the high fives before the game and Martindale running across to high five before he came on (nice touch). 

Class from big ayo applauding the fans he didn’t get to play in front of as well. I’ve no doubt he’d have been a cult hero if he did.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I thought all 3 of the trialists who started today were poor. 
The guy who came in 2nd half and played wide right initially and then left wing back did  look promising though. Not sure if he was trialist or one of our own young players.

Whilst we technically started three trialists, that's only because of timing in the case of Keir Foster (who was wearing 8). As a registered amateur with the reserves, his existing registration expired at midnight on 30th June and we haven't had opportunity to register him again yet obviously. He'll be re-registered next week. Same is true of Finlay Kennedy who was sitting on the bench on the same basis, although he didn't get on.

I's assume it's probably telling for both the other starting trialists that they were hooked after 30 minutes and 45 minutes.

The guy who came on right wing second half was an English trialist. Thought he was really positive and quick. I'd like to see him again.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not sure I'd have said Botterill had a cracker to be honest. He did nothing wrong and made one outstanding save and a couple of other decent ones (also saved a penalty but I could have saved that!). I actually thought Murray Johnson made more saves when he came on. Both did well though.

54 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Early days still but with the likes of Todd and Wilson (yet again) missing we looked very lightweight in midfield again. Early on in the game today it looked to me we were going to be on the end of a heavy defeat. 

I thought we started positively but lost a sloppy goal from their first attack. Too much space down the left side and then Nouble was completely free in the middle. Should have scored directly but the rebound was a tap in anyway.

I thought they probably should have had a penalty 5 mins before they did get one. The one they got was very soft. Nice of Ayo to agree and telegraph to Gordon where he was putting it.

McKechnie should have equalised just before half time though it would have been a travesty as we should have been about three down before that. Didn't think there was an awful lot in it second half until we started subbing most of the teams off. Their bench was clearly stronger than ours though McKechnie was again clean through near the end from Connelly's outstanding pass and couldn't find an end product again.

Didn't think the midfield set up early on worked with Cochrane playing too far forward to be at his best "quarterbacking" things. When the Trialist was hooked, Cochrane moved deeper and Connelly came on we had a much better shape and more control. There were some positives for us today. We lost to a better side but at times produced some neat stuff. I actually thought Reilly had a good game without getting any opportunities at all in front of goal. He put in a shift though and worked hard for the team. Thought Cochrane and McClelland played really well also. And as previously mentioned the trialist winger too.

EDIT - Oh, and we're no more like handling Nouble now than we were when he was at Arbroath. Big man's all arms and legs and his finishing isn't great, but what a player. Can't get near him. Best player on the pitch.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

On the trialist I thought he looked to have something, well worth another look. Think he must’ve been on trial at Livi before today giving the high fives before the game and Martindale running across to high five before he came on (nice touch). 

Class from big ayo applauding the fans he didn’t get to play in front of as well. I’ve no doubt he’d have been a cult hero if he did.

Trialist was on trial at Livi last week and recommended to Marvin by Martindale.

Good to catch up with big Ayo again too. Nice of the big man to refuse to score against his first Scottish side and just pass the penalty back to Botterill! 😂

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Trialist was on trial at Livi last week and recommended to Marvin by Martindale.

Good to catch up with big Ayo again too. Nice of the big man to refuse to score against his first Scottish side and just pass the penalty back to Botterill! 😂

How bad

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are Mimnaugh and Church injured ? Bit disappointing we haven’t seen the latter yet, the trialists filling in are making him sound better by the game though. 

55 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whilst we technically started three trialists, that's only because of timing in the case of Keir Foster (who was wearing 8). As a registered amateur with the reserves, his existing registration expired at midnight on 30th June and we haven't had opportunity to register him again yet obviously. He'll be re-registered next week. Same is true of Finlay Kennedy who was sitting on the bench on the same basis, although he didn't get on.

I's assume it's probably telling for both the other starting trialists that they were hooked after 30 minutes and 45 minutes.

The guy who came on right wing second half was an English trialist. Thought he was really positive and quick. I'd like to see him again.

I'm not sure I'd have said Botterill had a cracker to be honest. He did nothing wrong and made one outstanding save and a couple of other decent ones (also saved a penalty but I could have saved that!). I actually thought Murray Johnson made more saves when he came on. Both did well though.

I thought we started positively but lost a sloppy goal from their first attack. Too much space down the left side and then Nouble was completely free in the middle. Should have scored directly but the rebound was a tap in anyway.

I thought they probably should have had a penalty 5 mins before they did get one. The one they got was very soft. Nice of Ayo to agree and telegraph to Gordon where he was putting it.

McKechnie should have equalised just before half time though it would have been a travesty as we should have been about three down before that. Didn't think there was an awful lot in it second half until we started subbing most of the teams off. Their bench was clearly stronger than ours though McKechnie was again clean through near the end from Connelly's outstanding pass and couldn't find an end product again.

Didn't think the midfield set up early on worked with Cochrane playing too far forward to be at his best "quarterbacking" things. When the Trialist was hooked, Cochrane moved deeper and Connelly came on we had a much better shape and more control. There were some positives for us today. We lost to a better side but at times produced some neat stuff. I actually thought Reilly had a good game without getting any opportunities at all in front of goal. He put in a shift though and worked hard for the team. Thought Cochrane and McClelland played really well also. And as previously mentioned the trialist winger too.

EDIT - Oh, and we're no more like handling Nouble now than we were when he was at Arbroath. Big man's all arms and legs and his finishing isn't great, but what a player. Can't get near him. Best player on the pitch.

Aye Bradley in particular came on and lifted our performance up a few levels in the 2nd half when we'd gone flat, scoring our 2nd too. Shamal made a good save when you broke through on us too, to keep a clean sheet. Also thought both your keepers had good games. Best i've seen Pittman play for a while too, more like his old self, buzzing around getting involved more in attack, scoring our first and the assist for our 2nd. Was impressed by your No15, looks a good player, made some good runs beating our players.

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

midfield runners but once the trialist (eze) got hooked we started to come into it

Ikechi Eze? Eberechi's brother? Surely not? He was out of his depth at Stranraer last season and punted out on loan after hardly getting a game.

For the first 25/30 minutes it looked as though we were going to ship 5/6 goals without reply. Midfield was non-existent. Despite it being a meaningless friendly MB obviously didn’t want a hiding and he introduced Connelly after about 30 mins, re-adjusted the formation and then made good changes at HT. We did pretty well after that and created some good chances  at least one of which should have been taken.

My early thoughts are that I like the two keepers, not sure about Houston, thought young Foster did well for his first game,      midfield is very short without Todd and Wilson, desperately need another striker. As others have said Trialist 15 is a very obvious signing target and may have other potential offers. His pace was outstanding and despite having limited time on the pitch he made things happen. Sign him now please or risk losing him.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

For the first 25/30 minutes it looked as though we were going to ship 5/6 goals without reply. Midfield was non-existent. Despite it being a meaningless friendly MB obviously didn’t want a hiding and he introduced Connelly after about 30 mins, re-adjusted the formation and then made good changes at HT. We did pretty well after that and created some good chances  at least one of which should have been taken.

My early thoughts are that I like the two keepers, not sure about Houston, thought young Foster did well for his first game,      midfield is very short without Todd and Wilson, desperately need another striker. As others have said Trialist 15 is a very obvious signing target and may have other potential offers. His pace was outstanding and despite having limited time on the pitch he made things happen. Sign him now please or risk losing him.

Also Reegan Mimnaugh missing. None seem to be overly serious which is good news