The Queen of the South thread

Dunfermline Athletic, who have won promotion to the Championship, could attempt to sign 35-year-old striker Derek Lyle from Queen of the South should they fail to hold on to top scorer Faissal El Bakhtaoui this summer. (Daily Record, print edition)

Dunfermline Athletic, who have won promotion to the Championship, could attempt to sign 35-year-old striker Derek Lyle from Queen of the South should they fail to hold on to top scorer Faissal El Bakhtaoui this summer. (Daily Record, print edition)

Is he out of contract in the summer? What about Russell? This could from Bad to worse next year for you lot eh?

Is he out of contract in the summer? What about Russell? This could from Bad to worse next year for you lot eh?

Everyone is out of contract in the summer except for the two keepers and young pros Jordan Marshall and Jake Pickard who signed extensions in the last few months. Not really any different from every other year really other than McIntyre's year when he had more than half his squad signed up by New Year. Unlike last year I doubt there will be a particular head hunt of our young pros from the division above.

I am pretty optimistic about next season. We have should allot of promise the last 4 or 5 games since we have adopted more attacking line ups and return from injuries.

Del and Russell have goals and trickery between them. They are quality in my opinion.

Alan Johnson knows a player when he sees one. Most players sign 1 year deals apart from the odd one. Will be surprised if either of them are on anything more than 1 year deals.

I agree totally with that statement -AJ does know a player especially at this level and he tends to favour footballers over workhorses. He works on the basis that if the underlying ability is there he trusts himself to be able to motivate the individual to produce the goods.

On the subject of one year deals I have said it repeatedly that Messrs Dowie and Higgins are a rock solid partnership at this level and by not offering these great servants a longer deal we leave ourselves open to attack from a progressive rival such as Dunfermline. i also think that we should be re-signing Lyle and Russell assuming of course that they want to stay. A lot depends on the regard that the players have for the Management team. I have no inside track on that but I suspect that a number of players will feel hard done to on the selection front this season. I have certainly been bemused by some of the omissions but any Manager has to stand or fall by these selections.

I would hope Lyle stays at Palmerston and race up the all-time goalscorers list.

I agree totally with that statement -AJ does know a player especially at this level and he tends to favour footballers over workhorses. He works on the basis that if the underlying ability is there he trusts himself to be able to motivate the individual to produce the goods.

On the subject of one year deals I have said it repeatedly that Messrs Dowie and Higgins are a rock solid partnership at this level and by not offering these great servants a longer deal we leave ourselves open to attack from a progressive rival such as Dunfermline. i also think that we should be re-signing Lyle and Russell assuming of course that they want to stay. A lot depends on the regard that the players have for the Management team. I have no inside track on that but I suspect that a number of players will feel hard done to on the selection front this season. I have certainly been bemused by some of the omissions but any Manager has to stand or fall by these selections.

Allan Johnston has never managed at this level so I would suggest his ability at finding a player for this level is unproven.

I couldn't agree more about Dowie and Higgins though, and I've already stated my opinion on Lyle and Russell.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Allan Johnston has never managed at this level so I would suggest his ability at finding a player for this level is unproven.

He found the odd player for the level below this one, that coped very well when the step up came though, even if it was by then under someone else.

Anyone else think that johnston has always landed on his feet when we got relegated he got the biggest budget on the division and we ran away with the title(yes he done well to win the Ramsden cup) then he left for killie they had no money and flopped. Now he turns up at Dunfermline with another big budget and he runs away with the league again, I think he hasn't really been tested to any extent.

Edited by temps15

We simply must re sign lyle what a great player for us.

Would like to see us keep Russell as well but the romour I heard was that he was going part time and was heading to Dumbarton hope it's pish.

Anyone else think that johnston has always landed on his feet when we got relegated he got the biggest budget on the division and we ran away with the title(yes he done well to win the Ramsden cup) then he left for killie they had no money and flopped. Now he turns up at Dunfermline with another big budget and he runs away with the league again, I think he hasn't really been tested to any extent.

The manner in which he ran away with the league is impressive, us and Rangers both showed last season it means nothing to have the biggest budget.

It was pretty early in his career to try his hand in the SPL, he done better there than what McIntyre did with us for example.

The manner in which he ran away with the league is impressive, us and Rangers both showed last season it means nothing to have the biggest budget.

Well it doesn't mean nothing, does it?

It means a very great deal indeed.

It just doesn't quite carry guarantees.

We simply must re sign lyle what a great player for us.

Would like to see us keep Russell as well but the romour I heard was that he was going part time and was heading to Dumbarton hope it's pish.

I heard Annan possibly but still hope all the senior players stay on.

Whilst I think AJ probably is a very good manager, or certainly will be in the future, there's no denying that he is yet to prove it at any sort of decent level. I think Dunfermline was an excellent move for him and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next season.

He was certainly the catalyst for what has been a very successful period for us. Jim McIntyre continued his work, before James Fowler progressed us even further (something I don't think he is given enough credit for considering the esteem AJ is held in).

Would AJ have done any better for us this season? Unlikely I think. When he was with us he had the advantage of the biggest budget in the league by a considerable distance. That doesn't apply to us now.

Of all our recent managers I reckon Jim McIntyre may have done the best this season. You only have to look at what he's done at Ross County to see his ability at putting together a squad. I'm sure he signed 10 or more players in his first transfer window there, whilst shipping out the deadwood. His biggest problem with us was the squad was already in place and he didn't like that. Unfortunately his stubborn attempts to put his mark on the team did more damage than good.

You could also point to Dunfermline being McIntyres first job and he was too loyal to the players that got him up, as well as possible rumblings of discontent behind the scenes. 

The Killie job is an impossible job at present so I don't really look too badly as nobody has made them anything more than a bottom half side. This was the first season as the only full time team that the Pars and considering the amount of players Johnston was able to bring in, you just had to be somewhat competent rather than the duds that went before him.

He's still only proven himself at being able to get out of League One but considering that Dunfermline are spending again he has a decent chance to do well again this season.