The Queen of the South thread

That wasnt really the point though. Had the comments early in the season been "Kidds will do but we need a better right back" then you'd be right. Unfortunately, the comments were more like "Kidd cant play right back". Now that hes been left out, apparently, he can.

The whole thing is moot now anyone given the actual number of times he's been left out

Kidd was played bizarrely as a striker in the home league match vs. Hibs. Edited by RUSTY1111

All the stats on the website update immediately at full time. There is an issue, mainly with subs and cards, which needs sorted though

ETA - actually that might not be quite right. The player stats might not update until the match report is done. Cant remember!

Fowler has been criticised since last summer for not bringing in a right back because Kidd, according to many, isnt good enough. Now, when he doesnt play Fowler gets criticised again.

Theres little doubt that, had Higgins been left in the centre and Jacobs, or someone else, been moved to left back there would have been just as much criticism of Fowler for leaving a recognised defender, Brownlie, on the bench.

Fair enough. I always look at the BBC Sport reports and also the Queens official reports when updating the stats.

That wasnt really the point though. Had the comments early in the season been "Kidds will do but we need a better right back" then you'd be right. Unfortunately, the comments were more like "Kidd cant play right back". Now that hes been left out, apparently, he can.

The whole thing is moot now anyone given the actual number of times he's been left out

You are right in what you say - there were a number of people saying Kidd wouldn't do at RB but I wasnt one of them and I thought overall he had a terrific season last year. I also think he could do a great job in right midfield if we were able to find an outstanding replacement at RB. From the available alternatives we have at the moment for me it is no contest at RB.

Looking at Skyline's appearance stats the one that stands out is the fact that Brownlie has started more games than Kidd. I think Brownlie has been very fortunate to have played that many games and has been overrated by the Manager in comparison with others. Personally i think that any central partnership other than Dowie and Higgy is a disaster waiting to happen. One of the priorities for next season is to recruit another strong centre back to compete with Higgy and Dowie or to play in a back 3.

I see Mark Durnan is well outof favour after his stupid sending off for DUFC at Ross County - its a long shot but I would take him back in a heartbeat.

I can't remember the early season comments, so have to assume that you are right and that people were calling for Brownlie or Jacobs to play there instead and not that it was a case of people suggesting Kidd would be better as a wing back.

I also thought the latest discussion was over whether he should be the same as Marshall and be an almost automatic pick at right back or right wing back. Thanks to SD for correcting my post. It looks like he was available to start 27 league games at right back or right wing back and somebody else was preferred there in 9 of them. So another player was picked ahead of him at right back or right wing back in a third of the games that he was available. I think that is quite a lot compared to Marshall who, I think, has always been the left back or left wing back when available.

I was just commenting on the criticism of Kidd not playing. I wasnt debating whether he should be as automatic a pick as Marshall.

You are right in what you say - there were a number of people saying Kidd wouldn't do at RB but I wasnt one of them and I thought overall he had a terrific season last year. I also think he could do a great job in right midfield if we were able to find an outstanding replacement at RB. From the available alternatives we have at the moment for me it is no contest at RB.

Looking at Skyline's appearance stats the one that stands out is the fact that Brownlie has started more games than Kidd. I think Brownlie has been very fortunate to have played that many games and has been overrated by the Manager in comparison with others. Personally i think that any central partnership other than Dowie and Higgy is a disaster waiting to happen. One of the priorities for next season is to recruit another strong centre back to compete with Higgy and Dowie or to play in a back 3.

I see Mark Durnan is well outof favour after his stupid sending off for DUFC at Ross County - its a long shot but I would take him back in a heartbeat.

Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that you had made those comments, if you took it that way.

FWIW, I agree with you on Kidd. I dont have any issues with him playing right back and would agree that he would make a decent right midfielder, although I think his best position is actually as a wing back

Edited by Mr X

I update the season stats on Queens wikipedia season page after every game and find this more accurate than the official website that seems to update not so readily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Queen_of_the_South_F.C._season

What an excellent page.

I noticed a really amazing stat. We have had 10 clean sheets this season but only won 11 games. Made me think.

Then I looked through games won and noticed apart from when we play alloa if the opposition score a goal we have never won this season. If the opposition score we either loose or draw.

In all our victories (except the alloa games) we have not concedeeded goals. If the opposition score it's either a draw or a defeat ( except the alloa games).

Don't know what it means but it's interesting.

What an excellent page.

I noticed a really amazing stat. We have had 10 clean sheets this season but only won 11 games. Made me think.

Then I looked through games won and noticed apart from when we play alloa if the opposition score a goal we have never won this season. If the opposition score we either loose or draw.

In all our victories (except the alloa games) we have not concedeeded goals. If the opposition score it's either a draw or a defeat ( except the alloa games).

Don't know what it means but it's interesting.

Glad that you find the season stats interesting. They go back 4 or 5 seasons that I have been updating.

Queens are joint-last with Hibs in the form table for the last 8 games with 5 points...

For Home and Offence Queens are 5th & for Away and Defence Queens are 8th...

Edited by RUSTY1111

Surely fowler a future has to be sorted this week? Really need to start getting things in place for next season

I'm sure something will be announced next week if we beat Livingston at the weekend.

I'm surprised but not disappointed. I genuinely wish Fowler all the best and hope he finds a job quickly as he seems to be a nice guy.

From our point of view I'm glad he's away. For a manager not to know his best starting 11 at this point of the season is unforgivable IMO. The performances have been rotten as well. I know it was going to be a difficult season this year and I've no issue with our position in the league this season, but the performances have been inexcusable.

As long as the next gaffer isn't Thomson :wacko:

It all seemed to start unraveling when Kerr and Baird were allowed to join us last Christmas.

I actually thought he did pretty well after losing the rest of his good players in the summer. You always felt something was not quite right though.

Will the next manager get the support of board financially I doubt it.

4th place was never realistic in my opinion with the change in personnel and the clubs poor crowds.

I don't think anyone expected 4th place this season. As I said, finishing 7th isn't outrageous but the majority of performances on the other hand, have been.