The Queen of the South thread

Wouldn't say renewed my interest, I'd have been there week in week out anyway. I also didn't think before dobbie we'd struggle, but also didn't think we'd be sitting in this
position. But what a lift he has made, the whole team are an absolute joy to watch, there's a hunger everywhere across the park that was missing last year, belief as well. The dobbie signing lifted everyone, but Skelton is proving himself to be a very astute manager, I like listening to him although he says same thing most weeks, he's so focused on his job and the next game. We might not win a game, might not play well but he'll guarantee every player has worked there absolute bollocks off. Which gets the fans going, yesterday Jamie Hamill tracked his man down right hand side who'd give him trouble all game and he made a superb tackle, the queens support celebrated it like we'd scored. I'm loving this season, absolutely loving it!!!

Although Dobbie has signed an extension to his original contract I'm concerned that it won't be long until "bigger" clubs in the SPL will be snooping around the Messiah.

He really is too good for this league and I fear he might be tempted by a move to play at a higher level again.

Hopefully he can fulfil that desire by helping Queens push for promotion this year as I feel with this current squad of players and manager that we can be serious promotion contenders. What a great time to be a Queens fan [emoji170]

12 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Wouldn't say renewed my interest, I'd have been there week in week out anyway. I also didn't think before dobbie we'd struggle, but also didn't think we'd be sitting in this
position. But what a lift he has made, the whole team are an absolute joy to watch, there's a hunger everywhere across the park that was missing last year, belief as well. The dobbie signing lifted everyone, but Skelton is proving himself to be a very astute manager, I like listening to him although he says same thing most weeks, he's so focused on his job and the next game. We might not win a game, might not play well but he'll guarantee every player has worked there absolute bollocks off. Which gets the fans going, yesterday Jamie Hamill tracked his man down right hand side who'd give him trouble all game and he made a superb tackle, the queens support celebrated it like we'd scored. I'm loving this season, absolutely loving it!!!

So are we allowed to start getting our hopes up?

Had us down for relegation battle before the return of the Dobes. Exceeding expectations now though :)

54 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Although Dobbie has signed an extension to his original contract I'm concerned that it won't be long until "bigger" clubs in the SPL will be snooping around the Messiah.

He really is too good for this league and I fear he might be tempted by a move to play at a higher level again.

Hopefully he can fulfil that desire by helping Queens push for promotion this year as I feel with this current squad of players and manager that we can be serious promotion contenders. What a great time to be a Queens fan emoji170.png

He's played at the highest level in the UK. I dont see why he would be tempted to go and play in the SPFL Premiership with a mid-table club.

I'm not comfortable with how excited I get for games now. Even before Dobbie I thought we looked like a well-drilled and balanced side, maybe lacking a bit of panache but definitely capable of competing for fourth. Dobbie has helped elevate us that little bit more and the self-belief we possess now is something else. I don't know where it will take us but I'm feeling confident going into the next 3 games.

Providing we don't get beat 3-0 by Raith on Saturday, our game against Hibs will be a 'Top of the Table Clash'. You have to imagine Hibs will bring a decent following. Hopefully the Dumfries public bothers their arses for once ( :lol: I know) and get out in numbers. I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't reach or get close to the 3,000 mark and that's from someone who has given up on the public coming out to support the team.

It's just surreal looking at the table and already being eleven points clear of St Mirren, though I think we played Dundee Utd and Falkirk at quite a good time. Raith and Hibs followed by playing what now seems to be quite a stuffy Dumbarton side are going to tell us a lot about this team for the season and if we can get a couple of wins I think we could be the real deal. We've taken the lead in just about every game this season bar one which makes such a difference compared to last year where we seemed to always be chasing the game. 

We've also managed to get half of last seasons away points total in 3 games :lol:

37 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

It's just surreal looking at the table and already being eleven points clear of St Mirren, though I think we played Dundee Utd and Falkirk at quite a good time. Raith and Hibs followed by playing what now seems to be quite a stuffy Dumbarton side are going to tell us a lot about this team for the season and if we can get a couple of wins I think we could be the real deal. We've taken the lead in just about every game this season bar one which makes such a difference compared to last year where we seemed to always be chasing the game. 

We've also managed to get half of last seasons away points total in 3 games :lol:

The only game we didnt score first in was the Hibs cup game. We've scored in every game this season and only been behind twice - the Hibs game and, obviously, the Thistle game and that was right at the death. We've been behind for around 45 minutes of play in 11 games!

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Providing we don't get beat 3-0 by Raith on Saturday, our game against Hibs will be a 'Top of the Table Clash'. You have to imagine Hibs will bring a decent following. Hopefully the Dumfries public bothers their arses for once ( :lol: I know) and get out in numbers. I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't reach or get close to the 3,000 mark and that's from someone who has given up on the public coming out to support the team.

We got more than 3,000 the first time we played Hibs in 14/15 when we were 4th, 5 points behind Hearts after 5 games. Eta and when Hibs were 6th.

Edited by Flash

We got more than 3,000 the first time we played Hibs in 14/15 when we were 4th, 5 points behind Hearts after 5 games. Eta and when Hibs were 6th.

I don't want to use the word novelty as it'll draw in Mr Dust.

But I imagine Hibs will certainly bring a good crowd this time. Hopefully the Terregles Street stand is required.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The only game we didnt score first in was the Hibs cup game. We've scored in every game this season and only been behind twice - the Hibs game and, obviously, the Thistle game and that was right at the death. We've been behind for around 45 minutes of play in 11 games!

Last season it took until 17 October and 11 games to score 11 league goals.

Although we have half of last season's away points total already, we only have 1 point more from away games than at the same stage.

I don't want to use the word novelty as it'll draw in Mr Dust.

But I imagine Hibs will certainly bring a good crowd this time. Hopefully the Terregles Street stand is required.

I think if we win next week and keep the momentum going , we can hit over 2000 home fans. I would expect Hibs to bring around 1500 with the start they have had. Hopefully it will be a good crowd, big game first next week though.

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Last season it took until 17 October and 11 games to score 11 league goals.

Although we have half of last season's away points total already, we only have 1 point more from away games than at the same stage.

Also interesting that Hibs, who've won 5 out of 5, are also on 11 league goals. They're goal difference is only 1 better than ours

Would of thought that the attendance might have gone up already with the excellent start to the season and excellent football on show. As said earlier if we beat raith and set up a top of the table clash then it should draw more of a crowd.

Has hibs brought enough fans recently to open up the terrace??

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Would of thought that the attendance might have gone up already with the excellent start to the season and excellent football on show. As said earlier if we beat raith and set up a top of the table clash then it should draw more of a crowd.

Has hibs brought enough fans recently to open up the terrace??

One of last season's visits was midweek and during a period when any prospect of challenging Rangers was disappearing fast.  

Terregles Street didn't get opened then, but it has been for all their Saturday visits and will be for this one, I'm sure.  Given how both sides have started, there should be a decent crowd.

Beating Raith in the meantime however, would be a big help with that.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

One of last season's visits was midweek and during a period when any prospect of challenging Rangers was disappearing fast.  

Terregles Street didn't get opened then, but it has been for all their Saturday visits and will be for this one, I'm sure.  Given how both sides have started, there should be a decent crowd.

Beating Raith in the meantime however, would be a big help with that.

This. They had a midweek game last season in between two big cup games which they only had just over 500 fans at. We didn't open the terrace for that one but as you say it has been open for all their Saturday games and will be open for the one in a fortnight. They've had something in the 900's at all three Saturday games here and I'd expect more this time.

8 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I think Dobbie's heart is with Queens and that he is a man of his word. He wants to help the club gain promotion, something he felt they should have done in his first spell. Although he's clearly capable of playing in the Scottish Premiership, I can't really see the attraction for him of joining a club like Killie, Partick or Hamilton for a grim season-long slog against relegation. If money isn't his primary motivation, which it seems not to be, better to stick with Queens, a club where he is revered and where he clearly enjoys his football.

My worry going forward would be holding on to Skelton. Very impressed with the transformation he has effected in the club in such a short space of time. This season is as exhilarating as last season was turgid. There was a point in the second half of the game yesterday, at 3-1 up, when Skelton was encouraging the players to go forward, score another and kill off the game. The attacking verve with which Queens play, even away from home, at the moment is refreshing. As I said at the time, Queens looked more dangerous in the second half of the cup game at Easter Road recently than they had in the previous four games there combined.

I've rarely seen a Queens team play such an ambitious game going forward, away from home at a club of St Mirren's stature, than we saw yesterday. Despite reports to the contrary, St Mirren didn't play that badly - in fact they carried considerable attacking threat, but we kept hitting them on the counter and made players like Webster and MacKenzie (who not so long ago were both in international squads) look laboured and slow (of thinking and movement). The quality and movement of Dobbie, Lyle (who have struck up a great understanding) and Hilson and the pace of Anderson was causing them all sorts of problems all afternoon. When the instincts of many managers would have been to shut up shop with a 3-1 lead, Skelton was urging us forward to get a fourth. He knows that our major strengths are going forward, and the game was set up for us to exploit St Mirren's increasingly desperate attempts to get back into the game. 

Skelton also talks very well after games, I am impressed by his clear-sighted post match evaluations and he is constantly talking about areas of weakness to work on for the next game and small improvements that can be made. I think Queens have unearthed a real gem of a manager here.

Edited by Frankie S

I see we're 20/1 for the championship (Hibs are 5/2 on). DundeeUnited are 9/2, it's as if the bookies haven't really noticed us yet. I wouldn't mind staying 'under the radar' for a bit longer. I realise the wheels could come off any time, but like others, I'm enjoying the football and beginning to get a bit excited. To put it mildly!