The Queen of the South thread

People are getting carried away here. This result could be a huge blessing in disguise as it may be the final proof the board need to get JT away from anything first team.

The Celtic money we never had and didn't even know about a few days ago so nothing has really changed for the worse there.

Just need to get a decent manager in ASAP. This team was top of the league a few weeks ago. There is no reason why a decent manager can't steady the ship and keep us mid table at least.

He will also have a chance to put his on mark on things fairly soon with the window opening up.

We still have Dobbie, we have Carmichael returning. We have some promising young players that just have too much on their shoulders right now. The board surprised us once this season with the appointment of Dobbie, maybe they can do the same with the manager.

All fair enough I suppose and had last night's result come in amongst a normal run of results then we would put it down to a bad night at the office and move on.

However it has come after a really bad run in the league, it has come after our manager felt unable to carry on in his role and it has come after 3 weeks of failing to appoint a replacement.

I don't think it's that surprising that people are "getting carried away" when this result is taken in context. Yes we are still reasonably well placed in the league but it's hard to see how we can possibly stay there if things carry on as they are.

I don't think it's that surprising that people are "getting carried away" when this result is taken in context. Yes we are still reasonably well placed in the league but it's hard to see how we can possibly stay there if things carry on as they are.

Things will not carry on as they are. JT has said publicly he doesn't want the job and a new manager will be appointed.

I do strongly disagree with the board when they say there's "no rush" to appoint a manager. Like you I think the run is bad enough that we clearly need someone in ASAP.

Even if we had appointed someone last week they would probably have only taken charge this week. But of course that would be useful for the very important league game coming up.

As has been alluded to, I hope the fans made it very clear at Cliftonhill that we won't accept JT interference in the team once the new guy is in.

7 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Well what a load of shit our football club has become. Manager less with very little update on the situation and no sense of urgency whatsoever. Knocked out of the Scottish cup at the first go to a part time team a division lower than us and who were down to 10 men and now miss out on epic payday of that 4th round. Morale for players staff and fans at an all time low for this season.

Positives. Dan Carmichael is back playing. It's a start. Our good start to the league campaign might just might keep us safe. The upcoming games against st Mirren and Dumbarton are absolute must wins.

I have honestly given up my optimistic hope of the play offs and now genuinely worried we might be looking at staying away from the relegation spots.

Behave. These are not must win games.

I think the Board need to take a long hard look at how this season that once promised so much looks like descending into chaos and a relegation struggle. It's absolutely imperative that they appoint a new management team to oversee the whole football side of the club quickly and allow them the time and freedom to shape the squad and the playing side of the club for the medium and long term. 

The appointment of Skelton now looks seriously flawed and it's difficult to see what JT adds to the coaching side of the club. Does a club the size of Queen of the South, really need a Director of Football? Especially one, who's experience and contacts are probably quite limited. I thought it was quite revealing that Skelton felt the need to mention the influence of JT and his wife in an interview when he had left the club. That's quite an enditement in itself IMHO. 

The Board need to have a vision of what they see Queen of the South becoming and achieving in the medium and longer term. The talk is about a community club but it appears that in reality it's an 'old boys' club/clique made up of middle aged/old men where fans are kept at arms length and they don't see the need to properly engage any of the supporters groups unless they are giving them a cheque.

Tough times at the moment and some big games coming up. Let's hope things improve.

Behave. These are not must win games.

I believe they are. We are knocked out the Scottish cup. Our league form is a disaster at the moment. We are struggling for goals when you look at say last 10 games. Those two games are must wins for me to keep us mid table. I can't see us picking up points against any other teams right now. Possibly the pars. Possibly.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I believe they are. We are knocked out the Scottish cup. Our league form is a disaster at the moment. We are struggling for goals when you look at say last 10 games. Those two games are must wins for me to keep us mid table. I can't see us picking up points against any other teams right now. Possibly the pars. Possibly.

In the last 9 games in the 3 main competitions we have won zero drawn 2 and lost 7. Scored 2 goals and conceded 22.

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hilarious that folk are talking about throwing away season tickets and being "done" with the club. Fucking behave yourselves :lol: . You're a mid table Championship side sitting mid table in the Championship, things are not that bad.

That's a very simplistic view point, but an understandable one for an outsider to hold.  It's pretty wide of the mark though.

The problems that are causing so much disillusionment amongst the fans relate to off-field concerns.  While you are correct that on the face of it our on-field performance is probably around about where it should be, there are legitimate concerns about the running of the club.

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to a cup defeat.

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

That's a very simplistic view point, but an understandable one for an outsider to hold.  It's pretty wide of the mark though.

The problems that are causing so much disillusionment amongst the fans relate to off-field concerns.  While you are correct that on the face of it our on-field performance is probably around about where it should be, there are legitimate concerns about the running of the club.

Problems at board level is no reason to throw away a season book, what does that influence? You've already given the board your money, it doesn't really make a statement.  By all means get fans to put the point across that you're not happy with how things are ran but doing it by communicating with them whether that be through a supporters trust or otherwise.  If they don't want to communicate with fans then fair enough, vote with your feet but I fail to see what good abandoning the club does when times get hard.

After the first 10 games I didn't hear much about problems at board level, in fact I saw many congratulatory messages from fans for getting Dobbie signed up for 2 years. It just seems incredibly fickle to me.

A very good explanation. If I was a season ticket holder I wouldn't stop going to games but I am concerned with the behind the scences. The reaction to the cup loss is possibly in part to who we would of got had we won.

As far as I'm concerned fans can do whatever they like. It isn't up to any one of them to tell the others what to do. If a season ticket holder doesn't want to attend a match because he thinks he is going to have his balls frozen off watching shite, that is up to him. And if people still want to attend matches, that is up to them. Everybody is allowed to react to whatever is going on in whatever way they wish. Including moaning about it on the internet. Particularly if that annoys those in charge as much as it appears to.

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

So if we for example took 4 points from the 2 games that would be unacceptable?

I'm sure we all agree that the drop in form is very worrying because it has been so dramatic. But surely we should at least give the board a chance to put a better management in place before we start talking about being done with the club and throwing away season tickets?!

As I said before it's still the same squad that were sitting top of the league!

In the middle of this bad run was a Raith Rovers game where we actually played well and it was daylight robbery that we didn't win the game, never mind draw. Fine margins In football and it certainly seems like the players aren't playing for Jim. if the board take their time, get JT away from the first team and appoint someone decent I see no reason why we can't look at mid-table upwards.

So if we for example took 4 points from the 2 games that would be unacceptable?

Fair question. Unacceptable perhaps a bit strong. It would be more disappointing. 6 points needed. 4 points and even 3 points is a start in the right direction and a start to turning the season around. 2 points 1 point and hee haw from those two games yes would be getting unacceptable and would i think start to put us in danger . Of course this is all performance dependant. Strong hungry performances are needed and the fans to unite and get behind the team. As it is we are still in sight of the playoffs and the two games listed and good favorable results will keep us in sight of those said playoffs.

The money lost from a big pay day against Celtic when we failed to beat a  10 man part-time Albion will haunt Queens for the rest of the season and the Public Relations from the boardroom is a throwback to the days of Harkness,and will likely see crowds return to that level the way things are going .

If JT does not want the job then he should stand down immediately and why the delay in appointing a manager after 3 were allegedly interviewed  over a week ago?.JT should stick to his present role in the Commercial department & he is doing no one any favours by steering a ship that is rudderless and heading for the rocks.

It's going to be hard to attract a manager that will need to rebuild a side that is ageing  & lacking confidence with little hope of making the play offs on a limited budget and would like to know how much of Dobbie's wages are eating up in the teams budget.