The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nicky Low is an absolute buzz bomb when he does play so he will provide plenty of energy at the very least.

Excellent mate. I hope he gets a loan deal to Palmerston in January.

Edited by RUSTY1111

There is absolutely no doubt that we need a central midfielder and Low could fit the bill if he can stay fit. As others have said - last thing we need is another injury prone player. Mark Stewart affectionately described by some as a driverless speedboat (as the name suggests) is a player that performs at 100mph and is a bit unpredictable.That said he has no problem scoring against us. Very difficult to make really shrewd acquisitions at this time of the year but we desperately need new blood and these names are not the worst.

The last couple of matches has seen teams launch long throws into the box. I don't know how the team thinks about these but as a fan I'm always fearing the worst that along throw knock on and a goal. Yesterday we defended at times against them with 10 men plus the keeper. If you win a header or the ball there is no outlet and the ball but comes back in.

Hamill has a long throw but now he is playing central midfield it's not there. Who was last players we had who had a long throw - Robbie Neillson?

Edited by queenslad

Theres often a trade at our level on players with a greater ability then we could otherwise attract but who come with a higher risk of injuries. We took that gamble on Tapping and lost out. This maybe isnt the right time to take a similar gamble.

Of course. It's a tough one as he clearly has the ability to make a huge difference to us.

It's a massive risk to take though, and with Tapping and Hilson both on the treatment table for extended periods, I'm not sure it's the right time to take it.

5 minutes ago, queenslad said:

The last couple of matches has seen teams launch long throws into the box. I don't know how the team thinks about these but as a fan I'm always fearing the worst that along throw knock on and a goal. Yesterday we defended at times against them with 10 men plus the keeper. If you win a header or the ball there is no outlet and the ball but comes back in.

Hamill has a long throw but now he is playing central midfield it's not there. Who was last players we had who had a long throw - Robbie Neillson?

I'm sure I stated this fact as well earlier today. Johnston not knowing that Rhys McCabe could do this until a few games back and yet Hamill not doing this because he'd centre mid. Surely Brownlie could stand centrally to allow Hamill this opportunity.

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Naysmith has said on the podcast that he's all but confirmed a couple of players signing in January. A Dundee Utd fan on the Dunfermline match thread said it was Stewart and Low

And bizarrely everyone took it as gospel. The manager also said they would both be young players, a description which fits neither Low or Stewart. Still a Dundee United fan said it on the internet so it might be true!

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And bizarrely everyone took it as gospel. The manager also said they would both be young players, a description which fits neither Low or Stewart. Still a Dundee United fan said it on the internet so it might be true!

He didnt specifically say the two he has lined up are young players. He said he was looking at bringing players in and that they "maybe" would be young players. When he specifically mentioned the two hes close to signing he didnt make any reference to their age. He did say its unlikely we'd get anyone with experience in January and hes probably right

I dont think anyone took it as gospel (well maybe one person). Most acknowledge that Stewart would be highly unlikely. 

Low could be, at a stretch. He turns 25 in January.

Theres often a trade at our level on players with a greater ability then we could otherwise attract but who come with a higher risk of injuries. We took that gamble on Tapping and lost out. This maybe isnt the right time to take a similar gamble.

(Can't quote the top bit, which is the bit I'm responding to)

We are creating some chances but how often has it been via a through ball from a central midfielder?* If it comes from midfield it's usually from wide. One coming that way on Saturday.

In Hamill I reckon we might have the solution but without Jacobs beside him he can't do that as he has to attend to defensive duties (no chance of Millar doing such a thing). So a defensive midfielder wouldn't be the worst signing if Jacobs' injuries persist.

LM, DM or AM would be desirable for me come January. Striker is an area I have no worries about. You're right that we're bare if either of them get injured but we don't have the luxury of signing players for cover just incase. We need to sort our problem areas out first.

* To completely contradict myself, Millar did such a thing on Saturday and had Dobbie not slipped he probably would have scored. But expecting to see that again any time in the next 10 games is miracle wanting stuff!

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

(Can't quote the top bit, which is the bit I'm responding to)

We are creating some chances but how often has it been via a through ball from a central midfielder?* If it comes from midfield it's usually from wide. One coming that way on Saturday.

In Hamill I reckon we might have the solution but without Jacobs beside him he can't do that as he has to attend to defensive duties (no chance of Millar doing such a thing). So a defensive midfielder wouldn't be the worst signing if Jacobs' injuries persist.

LM, DM or AM would be desirable for me come January. Striker is an area I have no worries about. You're right that we're bare if either of them get injured but we don't have the luxury of signing players for cover just incase. We need to sort our problem areas out first.

* To completely contradict myself, Millar did such a thing on Saturday and had Dobbie not slipped he probably would have scored. But expecting to see that again any time in the next 10 games is miracle wanting stuff!

Hamill also played in Brownlie at Falkirk, who then crossed for Lyles goal.

I dont mean this flippantly, but does it matter who creates the chances? It would be great if we could get in an all round midfielder who can set up chances at one end and stop them at the other but the chances of that are pretty much zero. Put it this way, would you rather have another Jacobs in the squad or another Millar?

Hamill has done well in midfield, much better than I thought he would, but I dont think he's the answer, certainly not without Jacobs in there too. Again, its partly a question of bodies, though. Dowies only one booking away from suspension, Hamill two so at some point soon we'll need someone else to play midfield anyway.

You're right that the midfield is the priority but I dont think we can go through the rest of the season with only Lyle and Dobbie as recognised strikers.

30 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

What injury has Tapping got?

Knee.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Hamill also played in Brownlie at Falkirk, who then crossed for Lyles goal.

I dont mean this flippantly, but does it matter who creates the chances? It would be great if we could get in an all round midfielder who can set up chances at one end and stop them at the other but the chances of that are pretty much zero. Put it this way, would you rather have another Jacobs in the squad or another Millar?

Hamill has done well in midfield, much better than I thought he would, but I dont think he's the answer, certainly not without Jacobs in there too. Again, its partly a question of bodies, though. Dowies only one booking away from suspension, Hamill two so at some point soon we'll need someone else to play midfield anyway.

You're right that the midfield is the priority but I dont think we can go through the rest of the season with only Lyle and Dobbie as recognised strikers.

We clearly can't go on with just two strikers for long but I doubt Dykes will be out terribly long so that will give us a third. He appeared to be off the crutches and walking fairly normally on Saturday. I think after St Mirren the manager said he'd be out for 3 or 4 weeks and it's been 2 already. He'll presumably be back by the time the window opens.

Edited by Skyline Drifter