The Queen of the South thread

Holmes did really well in his first season with us and even in his last one when the goals dried up completely, he still contributed.

His desperate Dan appearance sometimes leads observers to think he's just a big battering ram, but he's actually quite a clever footballer with a good brain and nice touch. He is totally lacking in mobility though and that's not a situation that'll improve with age.

We did tend to resort to a long ball game with him in the side. To be honest though, that's not even necessarily his fault. It's just that he gave that option to colleagues lacking in imagination or confidence.

I wouldn't be keen to see us bringing in a forward who's scored so few goals in the last two seasons. I still remember him quite fondly as a Queens player though. I'm sorry that he felt so aggrieved by his treatment here that he was reluctant to take the lap of 'honour' before departing.

You could have been standing at the window when I left then

Were you the bespectacled gentleman who was standing in the office?

Edited to add: On the Homer debate, it is unfair to say that he lacks talent. When he has the ball he is effective at bringing others into play & creating chances for others. It's unfortunate that he has the mobility of a car with no engine. As others have said this is hardly likely to improve with age. Unfortunate also that his height served to encourage the long ball when he was more effective with a ball at chest height or lower. I wouldn't be totally against his return as he has many positive attributes. Just think it is never a good thing to go back.

On a personal level, I met him at M&D's last July (just before he signed with Airdrie) & had a long and interesting chat. Could hardly meet a nicer guy.

Edited by Katboy

Were you the bespectacled gentleman who was standing in the office?

Edited to add: On the Homer debate, it is unfair to say that he lacks talent. When he has the ball he is effective at bringing others into play & creating chances for others. It's unfortunate that he has the mobility of a car with no engine. As others have said this is hardly likely to improve with age. Unfortunate also that his height served to encourage the long ball when he was more effective with a ball at chest height or lower. I wouldn't be totally against his return as he has many positive attributes. Just think it is never a good thing to go back.

On a personal level, I met him at M&D's last July (just before he signed with Airdrie) & had a long and interesting chat. Could hardly meet a nicer guy.

Yes, that was me.

Was thinking about this consortium that tried to gain control of us . Has anyone else heard anything about their next move.? They were supposedly in advanced talks to take over another Scottish team but now nothing has been heard . Recent happenings have shown there are a lot of conmen in football and I reckon we were wise to reject their advances for our club.

Was thinking about this consortium that tried to gain control of us . Has anyone else heard anything about their next move.? They were supposedly in advanced talks to take over another Scottish team but now nothing has been heard . Recent happenings have shown there are a lot of conmen in football and I reckon we were wise to reject their advances for our club.

No question. A shower of shysters in my view.

Marc McCusker now confirmed to be away. Feel for him, but club can't afford to be paying someone that's injured all the time.

Speaking to Andrew Burns (standard reporter) says there may be names of targets in standard Friday, whether they are right or not is something. We shall see..

Edited by qos1990

So much for concentrating on who we are signing rather than releasing....

I think there's a significant difference between confirming the formal release of a player who had another season under contract and not commenting on players whose contracts have expired unless they are re-signed to a new one.

Apologies for going off topic, but looks like St.Mirren will be signing Sam Parkin.

I'm assuming he'll be cover for Thompson.

How did he do for you lot?

Seemed to divide opinion a bit. Some I know thought he lacked interest. I personally thought he shown good movement & when provided with proper service he knew where the goals were.

Seemed to divide opinion a bit. Some I know thought he lacked interest. I personally thought he shown good movement & when provided with proper service he knew where the goals were.

Thanks.

Not all bad then. :lol:

Apologies for going off topic, but looks like St.Mirren will be signing Sam Parkin.

I'm assuming he'll be cover for Thompson.

How did he do for you lot?

When he came in at first, he grabbed a couple of goals and we looked more competitive than we'd been. We still hardly won during the spell though and for me, he didn't really do enough.

He gave us something, but lacked mobility. I know he'd played in the SPL at St Johnstone, but I thought it was easy to see why he wound up at such a poor Queens team.

the couple of games i got to i thought that big sam looked intrested for the first 20 mins of the first and second half after that he looked like he became disintrested slow and couldnt be arsed but i know a lot of people liked him i just didnt like the way that when he was in the team all we done was play hoofball last game of the season when we played down the wings thought we looked more atrractive more pleasing to the eye

Just been reading the thread on the First Division board about fanzines and it got me thinking about 'A Nightmare on Terregles Street' and 'The Alternative Queens Speech'. Does anyone still have copies? I don't suppose they are available to view online anywhere?

Just been reading the thread on the First Division board about fanzines and it got me thinking about 'A Nightmare on Terregles Street' and 'The Alternative Queens Speech'. Does anyone still have copies? I don't suppose they are available to view online anywhere?

I still have them. I think I've got all that were ever published though it's possible I suppose that I missed a couple at the end. I'm not conscious that they are online anywhere. There are a couple of people who were involved in the actual production of them still posting on here occasionally though. They may know more.