The Queen of the South thread

It's an automated process, not something anyone actually does. When a news item is posted on the website a headline is automatically posted to Twitter.

Aha that explains that then. It would be useful if this process could be changed or updated to at least include a link to the story though?

Mmm, Sunderland scored on his debut and whilst we are talking about a game nearly 15 years ago I seem to recall he played well. Dont disagree it was quickly obvious he wasnt that good but his actual debut was good.

I remember Sunderland as being half decent.

He played for us for a while did he not, certainly in comparison to some of those who barely visited before departing?

Weatherson and Bowey were the pick of the North-East imports, but I'd have put Sunderland in the middling group, rather than in the massive 'no thanks' group.

I watched the whole of the Hartlepool v Blyth FA Cup game and he scored the winner I am sure . Although have only seen him play once, he looked very lively and loves running at defenders . I have to remind you though that first peeks at North East lower league players can be deceiving . Jon Sunderland anyone ?

Rivers was one of the key players for them in their cup run. Fast, tricky player. He would definitely do well in the SPFL.

I remember Sunderland as being half decent. He played for us for a while did he not, certainly in comparison to some of those who barely visited before departing? Weatherson and Bowey were the pick of the North-East imports, but I'd have put Sunderland in the middling group, rather than in the massive 'no thanks' group.

Yes probably a bit harsh of me to label Sunderland as shit. Much better than many we signed at that time though that`s a low bar TBH.

I`d add Paddy Atkinson to the very decent guys we signed. He was excellent the year we got promoted. Weatherson and Bowey the pick as you say but Paddy was very decent too.

I remember Sunderland as being half decent.He played for us for a while did he not, certainly in comparison to some of those who barely visited before departing?Weatherson and Bowey were the pick of the North-East imports, but I'd have put Sunderland in the middling group, rather than in the massive 'no thanks' group.

Yes. Sunderland made it through more than one season. He made something like 10 apps in the Championship season before leaving. He wasnt that bad but he wasnt good enough for a team going for promotion.

Like DD I would certainly throw Atkinson's name into the decent list too. I know I have said this before but Bowey was a late Connolly signing and not really part of the original North East revolution. He only joined in March of the title season and didnt play that much initially. He was a sub at Forfar when we clinched the league. It was the following season after promotion when he replaced the departed Connell as a first team regular.

If we are including later signings then I would throw Tommy English's name into the decent list too though he was a Scott signing not a Connolly one.

Yes. Sunderland made it through more than one season. He made something like 10 apps in the Championship season before leaving. He wasnt that bad but he wasnt good enough for a team going for promotion.

Like DD I would certainly throw Atkinson's name into the decent list too. I know I have said this before but Bowey was a late Connolly signing and not really part of the original North East revolution. He only joined in March of the title season and didnt play that much initially. He was a sub at Forfar when we clinched the league. It was the following season after promotion when he replaced the departed Connell as a first team regular.

If we are including later signings then I would throw Tommy English's name into the decent list too though he was a Scott signing not a Connolly one.

Yes, it's easy to think of Bowey as one of the many who came, but in his case, lasted the distance.

As you say though, that wasn't the case. He came in during that later spell when it was recognised that a push would get us up and it also saw O'Connor arrive.

Tommy English was alright as I recall too. He was hung out a bit by McCall after the Cup defeat at Hamilton. McCall was guilty of that in my opinion. A bit more support from him might have seen Barry John Corr have a chance of coming through his crisis, but that wasn't McCall's style.

Jon Routledge is not exactly prolific as a goalscorer from midfield, 5 in 7 years. Although I suppose he could play as a trialist and cover with Millar and Burns out.

Edited by Hawk

Yes probably a bit harsh of me to label Sunderland as shit. Much better than many we signed at that time though that`s a low bar TBH.

I`d add Paddy Atkinson to the very decent guys we signed. He was excellent the year we got promoted. Weatherson and Bowey the pick as you say but Paddy was very decent too.

No, you were quite correct the first time DD

I didn't mind Sunderland either tbh. Certainly not going to get a place in the hall of fame but far from the worst north east imports.

Was a huge fan of wee Paddy. A decent player and a top guy as well.

Tommy English was a weird one for me. To begin with I thought he was excellent for us, but as time went on I thought he got poorer and poorer. I wasn't sad to see him go tbh. Was Bowser's debut not the infamous 6-5 game at Palmerston? He debuted with Del Boy if I'm not mistaken. Two very very good players for our club.

I didn't mind Sunderland either tbh. Certainly not going to get a place in the hall of fame but far from the worst north east imports.

Was a huge fan of wee Paddy. A decent player and a top guy as well.

Tommy English was a weird one for me. To begin with I thought he was excellent for us, but as time went on I thought he got poorer and poorer. I wasn't sad to see him go tbh. Was Bowser's debut not the infamous 6-5 game at Palmerston? He debuted with Del Boy if I'm not mistaken. Two very very good players for our club.

Bowey and Lyle both played at home to Forfar which was prior to the Morton match.

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/160202.htm

Bowey and Lyle both played at home to Forfar which was prior to the Morton match.

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/160202.htm

Cheers. Wasn't entirely sure. Although it was Bowey who got the plaudits on his debut, whereas if I recall correctly it was O'Connor for Morton that stole the show for fans in the 6-5 game! Should maybe have thought of that before and I'd have answered my own question! :P

Cheers. Wasn't entirely sure. Although it was Bowey who got the plaudits on his debut, whereas if I recall correctly it was O'Connor for Morton that stole the show for fans in the 6-5 game! Should maybe have thought of that before and I'd have answered my own question! :P

Yes. When O'Connor was substituted in the freaky stormy 6-5 game, he got an ovation from the Queens fans - pretty unusual for an opposition player.

That IMO would be Jared Suddick by a country mile.

I would pick that guy Heppel, was that his name?

He was meant to be a rangy, Chris Waddle type winger, but when he played at the Annan tournament, he was just awful, with the ball running under his foot and bouncing off him constantly.

He clearly was a much better player than he showed that day. I felt sorry for him as he fluffed his lines and didn't reappear.

That IMO would be Jared Suddick by a country mile.

There were quite a few rotters we could be here all day for me Steven preen has to be up there as the worst he was utter gutter

There were quite a few rotters we could be here all day for me Steven preen has to be up there as the worst he was utter gutter

Indeed. Preen, and Chris Armstrong who was signed from Rochdale under Iain Scott, would be the biggest disappointments as they were supposedly proven signings which quite obviously didn't work out at all.

There were probably worse players. Stuart Heppell as referred to by MT who didn't even get on the field for the first team would be one very obvious example. Craig Coates the "ex Manchester United player" would be another. But those were generally in the trial and error stage of bringing in dozens of North East players and seeing which worked out and which didn't. Suddick didn't work out either but I wouldn't have listed him as one of the worst of them.