The Queen of the South thread

My opinion is that Connolly''s successes in the English market were more to do with a scatter gun approach than any meaningful pinpointing of players . There were simply that many coming that the odds were some had to be decent. In Bowey, Atkinson and Weatherson we had that but that was a small percentage of the turnover . Simply , the average Unibond League player was not good enough for our old Division Two. He had far better success when he changed to the Scottish market with the likes of O'Neil, Lyle, O'Connor and McAlpine . This is no criticism of Connollys coaching abilities and of course we had success under him. Let's not forget Ronnie Bradfords role here though as he gave Connolly great backing in bringing players in.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Was there not a useful looking right back at the time called Grey or Gray? I may have the wrong squad

Alan Gray. came to us from Workington and went back there after he left us. He was initially a right back but in the promotion season he ended up as right mid towards the end of the season with Paddy Atkinson at RB. He had played in the NE prior to Workington so likely I suppose that JC knew him from there. Decent player for us and was very much a regular starter in our title winning season.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I'll see your Suddick and raise you a Tony Nelson

Tony Nelson is the only guy I can think of who looked that thuggish, but was actually thuggier than he appeared.

I remember his sending off at Stenhousemuir in the first game of the season.

We got a 3-0 deficit back to 3-3, before we managed to lose a bad goal at the death.

My opinion is that Connolly''s successes in the English market were more to do with a scatter gun approach than any meaningful pinpointing of players . There were simply that many coming that the odds were some had to be decent. In Bowey, Atkinson and Weatherson we had that but that was a small percentage of the turnover . Simply , the average Unibond League player was not good enough for our old Division Two. He had far better success when he changed to the Scottish market with the likes of O'Neil, Lyle, O'Connor and McAlpine . This is no criticism of Connollys coaching abilities and of course we had success under him. Let's not forget Ronnie Bradfords role here though as he gave Connolly great backing in bringing players in.

We were also aided by a pre-transfer window landscape.

Was there not a useful looking right back at the time called Grey or Gray? I may have the wrong squad

Alan Gray was excellent. My favourite player from that team. Also liked Phil Nixon. Wasnt a great footballer but seemed to get by on his work rate, always gave 100%

Did Jarrod Suddick not set up all the goals in a game where Weatherson got a hattrick? I dont think he was bad, just injured alot.

Tony Nelson was Terrible, couldn't pass, every tackle was a foul and had horrendous tattoos.

Alan Gray was excellent. My favourite player from that team. Also liked Phil Nixon. Wasnt a great footballer but seemed to get by on his work rate, always gave 100%

Did Jarrod Suddick not set up all the goals in a game where Weatherson got a hattrick? I dont think he was bad, just injured alot.

Tony Nelson was Terrible, couldn't pass, every tackle was a foul and had horrendous tattoos.

I am not 100% sure but I think Suddick got our two goals in a 3-2 defeat at Stair Park. Must have been 2000-001. Can't remember that much else apart from he had a decent touch but would never be fit enough in a million years .

Could never understand why Alan Gray was released despite him being player of the season that year

I'll see your Suddick and raise you a Tony Nelson

Actually I think that is who I was thinking of when I said Suddick.

Shaved head, earing, tattoos, a sending off waiting to happen!

There were so many from that time it's easy to forget who was who.

Actually I think that is who I was thinking of when I said Suddick.

Shaved head, earing, tattoos, a sending off waiting to happen!

There were so many from that time it's easy to forget who was who.

Yes, that was Nelson. Didnt look too bad in pre-season but was woeful when it came to the real stuff - as typified by his debut red card :lol:

Yeh, you are correct . I think we were well behind and then come back to 3-3 only to lose .

Yes, I was at that one too.

We were 3-0 down, got it back to 3-3 with ten men and then Mathieson missed a corner that was close to him, enabling a Stenhousemuir player to head in from very close range.

Yes, I was at that one too.We were 3-0 down, got it back to 3-3 with ten men and then Mathieson missed a corner that was close to him, enabling a Stenhousemuir player to head in from very close range.

I should maybe consult the record books like a certain well known QoS contributor but I prefer a ' fading' memory .