The General Ross County Chat Thread

I still wish we had Darren Maatsen, who could beat anyone for pace and had a belting right foot (even if it wasn't always accurate!).

I thought I was the only one! 

New kits: I'm hoping that the lighting is making the "red" look pale. Not a fan of the home shirt collar or the sleeves. The away one is an improvement on this season's top.

Your away top is quite nice or would be if your sponsors logo wasn't so big/in your face

Home top is not nice at all though, as a sidenote i thought u guys were carbrini same as us?

Just changed for this season coming as carbrini were terrible, neck hole was far too tight and the colours ran into eachother

I think the away top is smart af. The home one on the other hand... Yikes. Idk tho because it's easier to judge how they look on when you see them modelled by the players. As much as I don't like the home one it's not the end of the world, like last seasons St Mirren top:

post-62664-1462894173893_thumb.jpg

Good post by Franksy. If I may add:

The problem with loaning players out is finding the right club. It's much more difficult in Ross County's case than a lot of teams in the league.  Tony is arguably too good for a mid-table League 2 team, but if he wants to stay at home and train FT with County - like, presumably, what Macleod does - then Elgin is his only option.  Similarly, McLaughlin is from the central belt so maybe he would be more willing to go back down for a while if he had a long term contract at County, but it would have to be to a FT club because training at County wouldn't be viable.

Having seen Macleod at Elgin, I am not convinced he can offer anything more than Greg Morrison does, but he does have another year on his deal to prove himself.

I think Franks has average pace for a top-flight winger.  He has the beating of lower league full-backs but he doesn't beat players on the outside often enough for me.  He beat Tierney once at CP immediately before being subbed, for instance, but every other time had to cut on to his left.  Tierney is arguably the best left-back in the league, but it happens a lot, particularly against top-six sides.  He wasn't really a natural chalk-on-the-boots winger before joining and has clearly worked on his game this season.

I think Franks can still be a very useful squad player, but it's a position I'd like to see strengthened.  I'd like to see at least one other winger come in that has enough pace to stretch teams, ideally a left-footed one to balance things up.  Lionel Ainsworth is under contract at Motherwell, but he is the kind of player I'd like to see at County.  I still wish we had Darren Maatsen, who could beat anyone for pace and had a belting right foot (even if it wasn't always accurate!).  Midge has looked burned out since after the final and we can't rely on him covering the most yards, week by week, forevermore.  It's mad to think that the club's top goalscorer post-SFL is the most dependable left-wing-back at the club.

I agree with pretty much everything else.

I remember Maatsen collapsing in a heap during a match in Dingwall and the ref stopping the game to allow treatment. It turned out that he had dislodged a contact lens. A player less suited to Scottish football would be hard to find. Utter mince -although a touch of Forest Gump nonetheless.

I don't remember that Maatsen anecdote... not to say it isn't true, but I never really got that impression from him.  Granted he was mince sometimes and had moments where he couldn't keep the ball in play, but so was Chris Erskine with the same amount of experience.  I don't think there can be any denying he was a potential match-winner too, who could get better with age.

Maatsen has picked up a couple of MOTM awards at Go Ahead Eagles, for what it's worth.

In other news, there are some interesting quotes from Craig Curran in the press today, generally saying he aims to do pre-season with the squad and, if he gets through that, he knows he's better.

I don't remember that Maatsen anecdote... not to say it isn't true, but I never really got that impression from him. Granted he was mince sometimes and had moments where he couldn't keep the ball in play, but so was Chris Erskine with the same amount of experience. I don't think there can be any denying he was a potential match-winner too, who could get better with age.

Maatsen has picked up a couple of MOTM awards at Go Ahead Eagles, for what it's worth.

In other news, there are some interesting quotes from Craig Curran in the press today, generally saying he aims to do pre-season with the squad and, if he gets through that, he knows he's better.

There's absolutely no guarantee that Curran plays for us again.

Think it was against Partick Thistle in the first home game of 2013/14 season. Maatsen went down holding his face (in front of the East Stand, IIRC, and I should because it was literally right in front of me) and waited at the side of the pitch for the physio to come over and help him out.  Took a few minutes and since County were losing at the time (I think), the crowd wasn't particularly patient with him.

I remember Maatsen collapsing in a heap during a match in Dingwall and the ref stopping the game to allow treatment. It turned out that he had dislodged a contact lens. A player less suited to Scottish football would be hard to find. Utter mince -although a touch of Forest Gump nonetheless.

Does Scottish football traditionally have a problem with players who have poor eyesight?  I've no experience with contact lenses, but they're apparently tricky little b*****ds to get in, and good luck finding one again if you lose it on a football pitch.