The General Ross County Chat Thread

I don't remember that Maatsen anecdote... not to say it isn't true, but I never really got that impression from him.  Granted he was mince sometimes and had moments where he couldn't keep the ball in play, but so was Chris Erskine with the same amount of experience.  I don't think there can be any denying he was a potential match-winner too, who could get better with age.

Maatsen has picked up a couple of MOTM awards at Go Ahead Eagles, for what it's worth.

In other news, there are some interesting quotes from Craig Curran in the press today, generally saying he aims to do pre-season with the squad and, if he gets through that, he knows he's better.

I sincerely hope that Craig is on the road to recovery, no doubt a full pre-season will supply the answer. IMO he remains the real missing link up front in that he can dovetail with any of the other three (Graham, Boyce or Schalk) which would really enhance our attacking options. Boyce needs space to operate in and, as has been said before, he has missed Craig more than anyone. On a less selfish note the boy is due a run of good fortune after a cruel few months.

Does Scottish football traditionally have a problem with players who have poor eyesight?  I've no experience with contact lenses, but they're apparently tricky little b*****ds to get in, and good luck finding one again if you lose it on a football pitch.

Bert Trautmann walked off the pitch in distress once after dislodging one .

No surprise really but Rafa De Vita has confirmed he's left the club at the end of his contract.  

A winger really will most likely be the first name on the summer shopping list.

Wonder if Boyd has also played his last game, hence the rather unexpected start today?

Well said by Jim. Absolutely shocking behaviour.

Shocking behaviour, yes. I can't condone the abuse thrown at him, but I'm not a fan of him at all and can fully understand why so many people are frustrated by him.

Shocking behaviour, yes. I can't condone the abuse thrown at him, but I'm not a fan of him at all and can fully understand why so many people are frustrated by him.

I'm not his biggest fan, & I'm eternally bewildered by how often he ends up taking setpieces for us but the abuse he gets his massively disproportionate. It reminds me of the stick David Winters used to get from old diddies a decade ago, though it was worse with Winters because he was a confidence player who when he was actually on good form was one of our better players.

It's got to be said, McIntyre's part of the problem though. If Woods was taken off set-piece duty he'd find himself the object of a lot less frustration. It's baffling why he still gets made to take all the corners and free-kicks. I'd imagine that can't do his confidence much good either.

Jackson Irvine is in the Socceroos squad for the friendly against the Poms in Sunderland on 27 May. Today he was also named in the squad for games v Greece on 4 June in Sydney and 7 June in Melbourne.

Ourselves and Motherwell both allegedly want winger Michael Duffy (21) on loan from Celtic according to the Daily Record. Was at Alloa this season and scored 3 goals.

Or has the club confirmed an interest?