Naples region

Stellaboz

Hoping to go to Italy in June - starting with a few days in Rome, then a week in Sorrento then a final night in Napoli before the plane home. Will probably take a trip into Napoli during the week as well as Pompeii and Capri. Travel agent suggested a hotel above Sorrento but would rather be in the town itself than rely on a shuttle bus.

Looking forward to gorging on pizza, pasta and ice cream (so no different to usual). Posts on here about them, as well as fish and the slushies, has me salivating already. Can finally pretend to be James Richardson and sit in a piazza with a massive ice cream.

Are Sorrento/Napoli safe enough places? Have heard the usual stories about them but assuming they’re not much different to normal touristy places as long as you’re sensible.

• 2 months later...
On 10/02/2024 at 14:42, Stu said:

Hoping to go to Italy in June - starting with a few days in Rome, then a week in Sorrento then a final night in Napoli before the plane home. Will probably take a trip into Napoli during the week as well as Pompeii and Capri. Travel agent suggested a hotel above Sorrento but would rather be in the town itself than rely on a shuttle bus.

Looking forward to gorging on pizza, pasta and ice cream (so no different to usual). Posts on here about them, as well as fish and the slushies, has me salivating already. Can finally pretend to be James Richardson and sit in a piazza with a massive ice cream.

Are Sorrento/Napoli safe enough places? Have heard the usual stories about them but assuming they’re not much different to normal touristy places as long as you’re sensible.

Sorrento is lovely, I certainly didn't see anything unsafe about it albeit was only there for a day. Naples can be a bit of an eye opener, I don't think there is anywhere really like it in western Europe. It can feel a wee bit dodgy at times at night, but once you get used to the place you should be fine. An absolutely great city as long as you embrace the chaos.

Ach Naples is totally fine. Just don't wander too far from the city centre at night (I mean go into the suburbs where tourists normally don't anyway) and you'll be fine. Just like any other city keep your wits about you. 

Thoroughly recommend this underground tour. Best to get tickets in advance when you can as the queue can be massive, or get lucky at the end of the day! 

https://www.napolisotterranea.org/

Also if you like to try different beers, go to Versa. Just google map it, very central. Tiny bar, free popcorn, absolutely brilliant bar staff who were so great we ended up staying until closing, which isn't like me and the wife to do nowadays.

Thanks for the tips, we’ve ended up booking elsewhere - had a few family issues and by the time they were sorted enough for us to be confident of booking somewhere the hotels we’d been looking at were gone or too expensive.