House of the Dragon

IrishBhoy

27 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Ok, giving this show too much thought so daft question time.

I thought the Targaereans were immune to heat, in GoT Danearys emerged unscathed from Drogo's funeral pyre. Yet the king fella in this show is suffering terrible burns.

Or is dragonfire a different level of burn?

And while I'm on a stupidity roll, how do they get a riders seat on a dragon, seeing as they carbonise anyone they don't like and who doesn't have the right blood, who comes anywhere near them?

That was blood magic 

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Ok, giving this show too much thought so daft question time.

I thought the Targaereans were immune to heat, in GoT Danearys emerged unscathed from Drogo's funeral pyre. Yet the king fella in this show is suffering terrible burns.

Or is dragonfire a different level of burn?

And while I'm on a stupidity roll, how do they get a riders seat on a dragon, seeing as they carbonise anyone they don't like and who doesn't have the right blood, who comes anywhere near them?

Found this on-line!!!

“TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE!”

That is a direct quote from George R.R. Martin, who exclaimed as much when addressing this “common misconception” during a chat all the way back in 1999.

The birth of Dany’s dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. 

Daenerys survived the flames when her dragons were born thanks to a mysterious, magical mix of Mirri Maz Duur, sacrifice and dragon eggs. 

Yet while the TV show decided to make Daenerys completely immune to fire to explain this experience, it’s more of a onetime thing in the books. 

During Drogon’s rescue of Daenerys from the fighting pit in Meereen, for instance, Daenerys thinks, “If I run from him, he will burn me and devour me.” Later, after escaping, she observes that due to Drogon’s flames, “Her skin was pink and tender, and a pale milky fluid was leaking from her cracked palms, but her burns were healing.”

And even if Daenerys were completely immune, her family sure isn’t, her brother Viserys died with a face full of molten gold, on both page and screen. And he’s far from the only Targaryen throughout history to show his susceptibility to intense heat.

Aerion Brightflame, one of Maester Aemon and Egg’s older brothers, thought he was a dragon in human form, drank a cup of wildfire to prove it, and died. The so-called tragedy at Summerhall involved a fire that killed a whole bunch of people, including Targaryens like the aforementioned Aegon V and Prince Duncan. And Jon Snow—secretly a half-Targaryen—burns his hand when he throws burning drapes onto a wight at Castle Black. The damage is so severe—the text says “his cracked red skin oozed fluid, and fearsome blood blisters rose between his fingers, big as roaches”—that he still feels lingering pain books later.

Laena—who, remember, is Rhaenys Targaryen’s daughter—dies when she asks Vhagar to immolate her. This method of death is a show invention, so Dragon clearly wants to tell its audience that Targaryens are quite vulnerable to dragonfire. Had Meleys unleashed her flames, the greens would have died.

Can’t find anything online about the saddles, I’m just going to assume that saddle-rigging is left up to they baldy Dragon-Boys that work down the Pit!!!

Getting hit by dragonfire isn't a show invention at least, it happens in the book. Aegon gets burned although there is a difference. In the book his armour gets melted into him and recovery is far worse. Understandable considering the generational time frame the book can operate in. The show's Valyrian steel armour seems to be an excuse for the improved health. It's just an aesthetic choice the show has made. As GOT did with Tyrion not losing his nose.

Saddles i'd just say the cult zookeepers that look after the dragons rig them at some point. The dragons will let people approach without attacking them as we've seen. Distract them with feeding time and do their best to avoid any attacks.

The Twitter cry babies are raging again that there wasn't a big battle in the season finale. Granted, I am a bit surprised they didn't end it with one, and as such you could argue why not just go with 10 episodes instead of eight.

That said, it was still good. Daemon's vision was glorious and it's great to see them continuing to lean into prophecy elements that are an integral part of GRRM's books.

People will probably end up complaining that S3 has too much action. 😅 I really can't see how it won't be anything but the most stacked season ever put to television in that regard. It will surely have to be back to 10 episodes, possibly even 12. The budget will also have to be colossal.

Did feel like a trailer for S3 tbh and if they are doing 4 I think it's fair to say we are in familiar "booting the arse out it" territory which is part for the course these days. That said, I didn't enjoy the episode and I am seething that it's going to be a c**t of a wait again as this season moved it up a considerable notch. Its not early GoT good, but it's plenty good and in the GoT universe so I'm all over it. 

What was Otto doing at the end? (or was it him) 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Did feel like a trailer for S3 tbh and if they are doing 4 I think it's fair to say we are in familiar "booting the arse out it" territory which is part for the course these days. That said, I didn't enjoy the episode and I am seething that it's going to be a c**t of a wait again as this season moved it up a considerable notch. Its not early GoT good, but it's plenty good and in the GoT universe so I'm all over it. 

What was Otto doing at the end? (or was it him) 

Ryan Ifans was mentioned in the titles, which was a huge spoiler in itself for me. I was annoyed I noticed that. I think he might have been imprisoned by the, so far, unseen brother of Aegon and Aemond who was with Otto in Oldtown. Just a hunch though.

I thought they ended the series well and it explained a lot of the queries I certainly had. At lest the Dunk and Egg series will be coming out fairly soon to tide us all over.

Please note though, Sheepstealer did not have a saddle. I am putting that here so we remember that when the next series comes out and Rhaena starts riding it complete with saddle in place from the start.

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

.What was Otto doing at the end? (or was it him) 

10 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Ryan Ifans was mentioned in the titles, which was a huge spoiler in itself for me. I was annoyed I noticed that. I think he might have been imprisoned by the, so far, unseen brother of Aegon and Aemond who was with Otto in Oldtown. Just a hunch though.

He's been in several episodes this season, or am I just being whooshed? It's not as if he made his first appearance last night.

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

He's been in several episodes this season, or am I just being whooshed? It's not as if he made his first appearance last night.

The opening credits included him. They haven't done for the episodes he wasn't shown in. Used to happen all the time on the main show. I longed for any week without Amelia Clarke's name to be there and always looked specifically for Charles Dance until he was caught short, obviously.

1 minute ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The opening credits included him. They haven't done for the episodes he wasn't shown in. Used to happen all the time on the main show. I longed for any week without Amelia Clarke's name to be there and always looked specifically for Charles Dance until he was caught short, obviously.

Ah right, see what you mean now, thanks. 

I use opening credits for 1 last scroll thru my phone, which is why I've missed this.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I thought they ended the series well and it explained a lot of the queries I certainly had. At lest the Dunk and Egg series will be coming out fairly soon to tide us all over.

Please note though, Sheepstealer did not have a saddle. I am putting that here so we remember that when the next series comes out and Rhaena starts riding it complete with saddle in place from the start.

Think Otto was being imprisoned by the foot lover Larys. He’s meant to be the Littlefinger/Varys of his time and was clearly pissed with Aemond when he said he wanted Otto to be the Hand. 

On 06/08/2024 at 15:56, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Emilia Clarke/Daenerys was literally what made GoT,,,

Second season like the first mainly just fine. There are 2 interesting characters in the show, howling that you spend about 20% of your finale focussing on everyone's favourite well sketched out character "Tyland Lannister". I hope they kill off the waxwork model of Matt Smith 

13 hours ago, Venti said:

You probably think Emma D'Arcy is a better actress than Emilia Clarke, so there's nochanging your mind.

Wtf are you on about? All I’ve said is that Daenerys isn’t “what literally made” a show with a massive ensemble cast of talented actors playing excellent characters. Emilia Clarke didn’t make the show, neither did Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance or Lena Headey. Olivia Cooke, Emma D’Arcy and Matt Smith didn’t individually “make” House of the Dragon either. 

This has been decent so far. A fair few quibbles around some plots and portrayals of certain characters and some average casting but it easily pisses on the mummars farce that was the final 3 seasons of GOT. I don't think it's always gone right so far when they've taken some licences with the source material, but it sure beats some of the utter nonsense D&D came up with and I guess it helps that the full story is already in place here.

Good work so far though and I hope they do it justice and don't rush the final series as there's a fair bit of stuff still to go.