Eligible can play Scotland

Craigieboy86

44 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I see Elliot Anderson is playing for En*land u21s tonight. If we're still calling up the likes of Kenny McLean then he surely would have not only had a chance of being in our senior squad but starting if he hadn't walked out? 

I'm more open than most at drafting in talent from wherever, but this kid clearly doesn't want to play for us.

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I'm more open than most at drafting in talent from wherever, but this kid clearly doesn't want to play for us.

Going crawling back to someone who got called up to the full squad and then defected to play for England under 21s would also be a massive minter.

Edited by eez-eh

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

I see Elliot Anderson is playing for En*land u21s tonight. If we're still calling up the likes of Kenny McLean then he surely would have not only had a chance of being in our senior squad but starting if he hadn't walked out? 

I mean it’s Kenny McLeans fault he pulled out the squad in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I mean it’s Kenny McLeans fault he pulled out the squad in the first place.

I thought it was the kit man’s fault for ordering Anderson’s sliders a size too big.

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Quansah, Gray, Hackney and Anderson started for England u21 tonight against Northern Ireland.

Ended 0-0.

The only one of that 4 that I'd want Is Quansah.

The four 3? Pass.

What a f**king shambles our football is in, relying on England's rejects 

8 minutes ago, Binos said:

Gray is the son of a Scotland international. Would take him, but clearly focussed on England.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Gray is the son of a Scotland international. Would take him, but clearly focussed on England.

If he's playing for England u21s,  he's only going for us after cause he's not making it with them 

13 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Remember McLeish had to convince McTominay to play for Scotland and he was nowhere near the England squad.

McTominay didn't have to be convinced.

Southgate was interested in McTominay.

Yes, McLeish drove through a literal storm to have a talk with him, but McTominay has since said that he wasted his time, as he always wanted to play for Scotland.

At the time, Southgate also got in touch with McTominay as he was clearly interested in calling him up.

Edited by Chripper

29 minutes ago, Binos said:

That's what happens when the powers-that-be at club level don't have any homegrown and/or limit on foreigners rule in place.

9 hours ago, Chripper said:

That's what happens when the powers-that-be at club level don't have any homegrown and/or limit on foreigners rule in place.

This has to be a possibility now we’re (against our wishes) out of the EU

We desperately need some kind of requirement to invest in and promote our own talent*

*I know Celtgers won’t like it and the SFA do what they want

Edited by MarkoP

7 hours ago, MarkoP said:

This has to be a possibility now we’re (against our wishes) out of the EU

We desperately need some kind of requirement to invest in and promote our own talent*

*I know Celtgers won’t like it and the SFA do what they want

Tbf I’m surprised rangers aren’t massively in favour of this. They are a million miles behind Celtic and in my view unlikely to catch up soon given the revenue disparity. A limit on non-homegrown players would be a big leveller for them. 

17 hours ago, Chripper said:

This x100

When sportsound was talking about how few scots were playing in the rip division they should have called out the old firm. Killie, Aberdeen, motherwell and others regularly give young scottish players a game 

I don't buy this idea that we're producing talent but they don't get a chance. If a kid is good enough, he'll get a game.

Hell, there's plenty of kids who end up playing in the juniors that get quite a few starts in the top flight.

You think it's easier for English talent to get a game at their clubs?

No, the issue is, for whatever reason they're just producing better players.

One of those reasons probably being that English clubs have money to burn and spend cash we can only dream of on youth development.

Edited by ArabFC

36 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I don't buy this idea that we're producing talent but they don't get a chance. If a kid is good enough, he'll get a game.

Hell, there's plenty of kids who end up playing in the juniors that get quite a few starts in the top flight.

You think it's easier for English talent to get a game at their clubs?

No, the issue is, for whatever reason they're just producing better players.

One of those reasons probably being that English clubs have money to burn and spend cash we can only dream of on youth development.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I think the biggest indictment on Celtic and Rangers' youth development is all of the international calibre players who are coming through at other Scottish clubs. 

One starter on Thursday made his professional debut while contracted to an Old Firm side (and he's probably had the worst career of the lot!) then Doak off the bench. Patterson and McCrorie would've also been in the squad if fit.

The U21s on Friday had Murray, Anderson and Kelly who all made their debuts while contracted to Celtic as well as King with Rangers. That's a better proportion, but Anderson and King are probably the only ones with a chance of playing for the first team and neither of them look like they'll get an opportunity with their club any time soon. 

23 hours ago, Chripper said:

Pie in the sky stuff.

It's all the foreigners and playing four at the back fault for all our problems, never heard so much nonsense in my life.

Any young kid that is good enough will get gametime at all provincial clubs and every club playing in europe actually have to abide to a homegrown rule.

How are clubs supposed to survive and make money in this country playing a bunch of talentless scottish players due to a homegrown rule. The main issue is that we don't have enough talent coming through the ranks and even when we do, they are shipped off to England before they turn 18 and we have a TV deal that is not worth the paper it is written on as it brings f**k all revnue into this country for clubs to grow.

If you were to compare the amount of money made off of foreign player sales against scottish player sales then it speaks volumes as to why clubs in this country look to the likes of Macedonia for talent. 

On 06/09/2024 at 23:14, Binos said:

How are players in the under 21's rejects? 

They are literally being picked for the national team at their age group.

Harvey Barnes could be classed a reject but none of the above could be at this stage.

FWIW, I hate the term reject.

7 minutes ago, ahemps said:

How are players in the under 21's rejects? 

They are literally being picked for the national team at their age group.

Harvey Barnes could be classed a reject but none of the above could be at this stage.

FWIW, I hate the term reject.

The eligible one's that aren't selected by England full team ie are rejected by them

We will clamour for

1 hour ago, Binos said:

The eligible one's that aren't selected by England full team ie are rejected by them

We will clamour for

I think calling an under 21 player for their country a reject because they are not in the full side is a bit pathetic.