Eligible can play Scotland

Craigieboy86

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2024 at 12:25, BB_Bino said:

Has there been talks....is this a journalist that has let things slip.....or it it simply someone speculating on what fan chat has been around???

"Clarke has been regarded as very loyal to his Scotland players, but with the likes of Tino Livramento and Elliot Anderson at Newcastle emerging as eligible contenders for the squad, he says there will be much more under consideration than previous performances for the national team."

Steve Clarke: Scotland boss will have 'empathy' with players who miss out on Euros - BBC Sport

Having watched and read several articles on who makes the England 23 man squad, not one pundit has selected or even mentioned

1. Harvey Barnes 

2. Elliot Anderson 

3. Tino Livramento or 

4. Anthony Gordon ( actually Gordon has been mentioned but not selected ) 

I do think H.Barnes would have been selected back in Sept/Oct had it not been for his injury!! 
Will be interesting to see what comes of the other 3 Newcastle players?? 

Will G.Southgate call up a huge squad and possibly give these lads a feint hope of future selections or will he stick with his tried and tested and possibly just possibly leaving S.Clarke to swoop for all 4 

43 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

Will G.Southgate call up a huge squad and possibly give these lads a feint hope of future selections or will he stick with his tried and tested and possibly just possibly leaving S.Clarke to swoop for all 4 

I'm going off topic here, but Southgate strikes me as being very similar to Clarke, in that he likes his tried and tested. He has found players that fit into the system, it works, so why change it......in fact, you could probably argue that Southgate is less likely than Clarke for change, and I just don't see him doing this. I've heard the interviews where he says he is considering Gordon and Anderson, but what he says and what he does, seems to be 2 different things and in Anderson's case (probably the case of the 4 Newcastle players actually), he's got stronger options to try and keep happy in the short term.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm going off topic here, but Southgate strikes me as being very similar to Clarke, in that he likes his tried and tested. He has found players that fit into the system, it works, so why change it......in fact, you could probably argue that Southgate is less likely than Clarke for change, and I just don't see him doing this. I've heard the interviews where he says he is considering Gordon and Anderson, but what he says and what he does, seems to be 2 different things and in Anderson's case (probably the case of the 4 Newcastle players actually), he's got stronger options to try and keep happy in the short term.

I don't really see why there's any suggestion, at this stage anyway, of Anderson for England. They must have a dozen better players in his position (including Gordon). He's not even a regular starter for Newcastle , even when he is fit.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I hadn’t thought of Southgate being the loyal type but now you mention it, Harry Maguire answers this question! He has stood strong and selected him through good times and bad……. 
And you have to give Southgate credit for that, likewise Clarke very loyal but something tells me he might be more ruthless come March/June - he ‘ Clarke ‘ made an interview with the BBC and having empathy about player selections and omission. 

I’m not sure if it’s more John Carver bending Clarkes ear and getting Anderson (albeit he was our U21 player first) and now that Livramento, Barnes + Gordon have joined the Toon, let’s see what materialises 

Reading earlier, it looks like Anderson is out until early March!! And that’s not to say he’ll even be playing for Newcastle by the time Scotland play in March. For me I think this March squad selection is the cut-off for Clarke on new faces, after this I think we won’t see anyone new?? 

3 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

Harvey Barnes to return ( back soon he’s saying ) 

Fingers crossed He + S.Clarke make it happen with these March friendlies coming up 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

IMG_3701.jpeg

He can come in for the qualifiers - no one should lose their potential Euro squad (or starting) place at this stage to someone deciding to belatedly declare themselves......

47 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

He can come in for the qualifiers - no one should lose their potential Euro squad (or starting) place at this stage to someone deciding to belatedly declare themselves......

You say belatedly but he got injured way back in September ( he’s been out injured for 5 months ) there is/was something in S.Clarkes tone when questioned about Harvey Barnes way back in the Autumn, can’t remember the date/month but it suggested to me that we’d have seen Harvey Barnes feature for the Dark Blue back then, S.Clarke has been tight lipped ever since, so watch that space as they say!! 
I’m thinking he’ll be in the squad for March friendlies, if he can reciprocate the form and dynamism he showed whilst at Leicester then he’ll be going to the Euro’s 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Steve Clarke's job is to help Scotland be successful at the Euros, sometimes that involves making difficult decisions and leaving players out even if they have been loyal members of the squad. If the upsides of including a player like Barnes are bigger than the downsides, he'll be in.

I don't know if he'll.be there or not, although I lean slightly against given Steve's track record.

What I do know is that even at a decent amateur level there is very little sentiment when it comes to selection. Everyone knows how it goes. If you're good enough to make a team better you're in sooner or later. It's not like playing in a mates team.

If he wants to play and Steve doesn't pick him I think it will be less about loyalty and more about how Steve doesn't believe he'll add enough in the time available to be worth the disruption. Folk are probably right to suggest there would be some disruption given how late in the day it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Karamoke Dembele 

Popping in this thread as last I seem to recall he didn't want to play for Scotland (but I might be remembering wrong)

Been keeping an eye on him this season and not suggesting he is ready for a full call up or anything but without a doubt had his best professional season yet and only 21, he still has plenty time to make it work.

He has been at Blackpool in League One this season (on loan from Brest in Ligue 1) and has managed 14 assists and 8 goals and nominated for League One young player of the season.

Next year will be massive for him in terms of building on this season. If he comes back to England, he should have no problem securing a loan to a Championship team.

56 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Karamoke Dembele 

Popping in this thread as last I seem to recall he didn't want to play for Scotland (but I might be remembering wrong)

Been keeping an eye on him this season and not suggesting he is ready for a full call up or anything but without a doubt had his best professional season yet and only 21, he still has plenty time to make it work.

He has been at Blackpool in League One this season (on loan from Brest in Ligue 1) and has managed 14 assists and 8 goals and nominated for League One young player of the season.

Next year will be massive for him in terms of building on this season. If he comes back to England, he should have no problem securing a loan to a Championship team.

When he was younger he switched over from Scotland to the England youths and he probably thought he was good enough to play for their national team given all the hype about him at the time. It's not quite worked out for him though. 

This might be the best opportunity for Scotland to get him but I'm sure we won't be canny enough to go for it until (if) he's playing at a higher level and by that point he will probably be playing for the Ivory Coast.