Screaming child surcharge

ICTChris

19 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

One that always sticks in my mind was a couple arguing a couple of tables away from us in a country pub somewhere...the volume gradually rose until she stood up and flounced out of the place.

He initially went to follow her, but then you could actually see his thought process once he looked across at her barely touched steak pie and chips, thought "f**k it", sat back down and got wired into her dinner.

He probably didn't want anyone else munching on his wife's pie.  

15 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Think my old man has long since resigned himself to it, although it's something I've never spoken to him about, and neither have my brothers. Sadly she's sort of dragged him down a bit with her, as he doesn't seem to have any friends outside of work. They're pretty isolated. It's a sad situation. Grim as this is to say, I hope she dies before he does, because she absolutely will not be able to cope without him. It's a sort of macabre race now that he has a death sentence.

That’s a somewhat familiar scenario, actually. The effective caretaker becomes isolated from almost any contacts as they try to mitigate the consequences of the actions of the alcoholic spouse. It is, in a way, an enabling behavior, but one that society ends up expecting, which is absolutely shit for the caretaker. Very sorry to see this scenario for you and yours, and if it wasn’t in the end game like this, there are actions that could potentially help a little…but, as you say, now it’s down to a evil race.

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

A long post isnt necessarily a boring one - it was probably something it helped to get out, and you also shouldnt ignore the impact that this had on contributing to the mental health problems you allude to.

Got to feel sorry for your old man as well, probably of a generation that feels like they just have to get on with it and just accepts the cards they are dealt.

I guess that at least these days, people are more likely to seek help.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure more people seeking help is actually true in situations such as these. Society has a nasty sting in its tail with expectations and behaviors in difficult situations, especially those people don’t relate to. It’s way too easy to say “why didn’t they…” instead of trying to understand and help.