Screaming child surcharge

ICTChris

Kids are fine in restaurants, as long as they are not allowed to act like savages.

Its not difficult, just take your kids out to restaurants from an early age and they should learn how to behave.

If you cant or wont do this, then you are a moron.

Always hated it when we were somewhere like Pizza Express with other people and their children when my boy was young - he could hold a knife and fork and manage to actually get the food from plate to gob.............whereas others had food flying all over the table / floor / my jacket, held their knife and fork like it was the first time they had been introduced to these instruments and I had to sit there saying nowt as they were his pals and their parents thought it was "soo cute".

Thankfully as he is a teenager now, I dont have to endure being in the same place as his pals or their arsehole parents.

This is all I can think of whilst reading through this thread

FWIW, I had this experience in Riga last month.  A Latvian woman  I know over here gave a place out on the edge of the city as a recommendation as 'a good place to go' for me and my other half.  Forgot to mention that I didn't have kids, and am not 7 years old.  The place even had a petting zoo.

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is all I can think of whilst reading through this thread

FWIW, I had this experience in Riga last month.  A Latvian woman  I know over here gave a place out on the edge of the city as a recommendation as 'a good place to go' for me and my other half.  Forgot to mention that I didn't have kids, and am not 7 years old.  The place even had a petting zoo.

See the source image

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

It's more when they get bored and start running about like heat-seeking ferrets when problems can occur. We were in a place in Strathblane where there was a mother up the far end of the gaff in with her pals getting leathered...obviously the wean was bored shitless and started playing hide and seek under the tables that folk were eating at. All well and good until the wean either (more likely) ran full pelt into somebody's knee or (not beyond the realms of possibility) the guy concerned committed a professional foul as the wee guy ran under his table.

Mother of the year was instantly up and in the guy's grid, but to his credit he told her to take a f**k to herself and at least pretend she gave a shit about what her kid was doing.

I don't have kids, have never wanted kids, and am no expert.

Prepared to be shot down here, but I am always somewhat taken aback seeing people drunk around their kids.

My parents were far from squares when I was a wean, but I never saw either of them pished until I was in my teens. It makes me uncomfortable seeing folk getting bevvied around their weans. I'm just not for it.

Prepared to be shot down here, but I am always somewhat taken aback seeing people drunk around their kids.
My parents were far from squares when I was a wean, but I never saw either of them pished until I was in my teens. It makes me uncomfortable seeing folk getting bevvied around their weans. I'm just not for it.
Il drink in front of my kids, but certainly would not get drunk or be drunk in front of them. Might have happened once or twice over the years, but aye its not really right.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
37 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Il drink in front of my kids, but certainly would not get drunk or be drunk in front of them. Might have happened once or twice over the years, but aye its not really right.

I thought we left this sort of scheme goblin behaviour to dear old Throbber ? 🤔😉

When he's not drawing cock n' ballz pics, he always up for taking bevvy to weans birthday parties (or is my memory letting me down ?)

8 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I thought we left this sort of scheme goblin behaviour to dear old Throbber ? 🤔😉

When he's not drawing cock n' ballz pics, he always up for taking bevvy to weans birthday parties (or is my memory letting me down ?)

My kids watch me making beer etc and ask me about it. There's no reason for them not to be aware of what alcohol is. Just trying to teach them it's normal and sociable. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

My kids watch me making beer etc and ask me about it. There's no reason for them not to be aware of what alcohol is. Just trying to teach them it's normal and sociable. 

This.

Eldest wee ranter is now 16, and thanks to us encouraging all the wee ranters to talk to us, he is now starting to go to friends houses/empties and he tells us drink is being experimented with (as per when we were teenagers).

We allow him to have a couple of drinks in the house on family occasions, we also allowed him to have a beer on our recent foreign holiday (he didn't, though).

Trying to let him learn from our mistakes, and to not have to hide it. Basically the opposite oc my teens, where I was warned drinking was not allowed, therefore I did it on the sly, and without any guidance. So I ended up in some complete states.

20 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

This.

Eldest wee ranter is now 16, and thanks to us encouraging all the wee ranters to talk to us, he is now starting to go to friends houses/empties and he tells us drink is being experimented with (as per when we were teenagers).

We allow him to have a couple of drinks in the house on family occasions, we also allowed him to have a beer on our recent foreign holiday (he didn't, though).

Trying to let him learn from our mistakes, and to not have to hide it. Basically the opposite oc my teens, where I was warned drinking was not allowed, therefore I did it on the sly, and without any guidance. So I ended up in some complete states.

Aye. On the continent, kids don't do what we did.... Reach our teens and commence a life of ripping the arse out it. They see their folks drinking wine with dinner etc. If my kids are coming out for dinner with me and the wife I'm not going to order a Cola to pretend we don't like a wine with a meal. No reason to do so. 

Equally, I'm also not going to go on holiday and get arseholed by the pool whilst they run feral or similar such behaviour. 

Tbh, I think binge drinking culture is on the road out as far as future generations go. 

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbh, I think binge drinking culture is on the road out as far as future generations go. 

It will skip this generation then by the time your kids (and mine) are grown up it will be in the cool thing to do again.

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

My missus called out a family for this just a few weeks ago.

We were out having dinner at a pub/restaurant (in the restaurant bit) and the family at a table near us had given two of their weans an ipad on which they were watching some cartoon, but with the sound on, no headphones, and at a volume at which we could have followed the story.

I sat quietly seething, but heroically doing nothing, and after a few minutes she got up, went over and just got them telt.

'I'm sorry, but you're not in your house... we're paying to eat here... you need headphones if you're going to do that... ' are the snippets I could make out.

It worked. The mum argued back a bit, but the dad quickly intervened and they backed down. I was very proud. Not of myself, obviously.

That's what they're for. Why get a dug and bark yourself?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, my dad would have a can of beer watching the fitba, and they'd maybe have wine in the hoose from time to time. But I mean people steaming around their kids. I've seen it reasonably often in adult life, and it's really grim.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, my dad would have a can of beer watching the fitba, and they'd maybe have wine in the hoose from time to time. But I mean people steaming around their kids. I've seen it reasonably often in adult life, and it's really grim.

The really grim situation is stuff like this:

https://www.live5news.com/story/15768074/drunk-dad-let-9-year-old-daughter-drive/

Never saw my old man pished when I was a kid. In fact I think I've only ever seen drunk a couple of times. He isn't a heavy drinker (does love rum though, but had to stop drinking for a bit when he first got his blood cancer diagnosis; thankfully he can drink it again, which makes his Christmas present easier!).

My mum however we saw pished quite a bit as kids. What me and my brothers saw seemed to be fairly harmless stuff and pretty amusing to us when we were boys, just shit like her laughing a lot and having to be helped home by our dad once when on holiday in France. Of course it's now clear she's an alcoholic and has been for quite some time, but she wasn't drinking every day back then (took her quite a while to get to that stage). It also got pretty tedious and concerning as we got older. She's way too far gone with it now to turn back and it'll kill her in the end (genuinely surprised it hasn't already). She's not a bad person at all and can still function fine. She just drinks wine every evening then falls asleep pished in front of the TV, although it has cost her all of her friends, most of her family and any meaning she ever had in life. She's totally reliant on my dad for everything (she no longer works and f**k knows what she does all day when my dad is working; she must be beyond bored). She used to be worse with it in that she would often start boozing earlier and sometimes fall asleep earlier. I mind one time one of her brothers and his wife came through to visit and she fell asleep/passed out at the dinner table. They haven't been back since. Think my old man has long since resigned himself to it, although it's something I've never spoken to him about, and neither have my brothers. Sadly she's sort of dragged him down a bit with her, as he doesn't seem to have any friends outside of work. They're pretty isolated. It's a sad situation. Grim as this is to say, I hope she dies before he does, because she absolutely will not be able to cope without him. It's a sort of macabre race now that he has a death sentence.

Anyway!

Don't think my maw's drinking really affected me or my brothers. I had my first beer at 16 and hated it, and didn't really start drinking until I was 17. 2002 was the first time I ever got drunk. My brothers didn't start drinking until they were 17/18 as well. We've of course all had plenty of times of being too drunk (my older brother once spewed in the street and it stained the pavement for a year; he asked one of my friends to punch him in the stomach to make him spew!) and one time my dad had to pick up my little brother and put him to bed as he was so fucked. Overall though we've not really gotten in to trouble with boozing, although I have had some difficulties with it in recent times due to mental health shit that thankfully I seem to be coming out of.

f**k, that turned in to a bit of a vent! Sorry for the long post!

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
10 hours ago, throbber said:
It will skip this generation then by the time your kids (and mine) are grown up it will be in the cool thing to do again.

Look man I'm not trying to take away your dream here. I just dont see it.

These sorts of things come in trends over decades so it’s difficult to say that something that was rife for so long is going to be permanently dismissed. People nowadays are so spoilt by technology, social media apps etc and are so convinced these things won’t be replaced in another 10-20 years time when something else comes out to distract the general population in another direction. 

From what I gather the current generation of youths prefer spending time with their parents more than they did 20 years ago but what’s to say it won’t go back to the time when kids turned 18 and stick the middle finger up their parents authority?

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Never saw my old man pished when I was a kid. In fact I think I've only ever seen drunk a couple of times. He isn't a heavy drinker (does love rum though, but had to stop drinking for a bit when he first got his blood cancer diagnosis; thankfully he can drink it again, which makes his Christmas present easier!).

My mum however we saw pished quite a bit as kids. What me and my brothers saw seemed to be fairly harmless stuff and pretty amusing to us when we were boys, just shit like her laughing a lot and having to be helped home by our dad once when on holiday in France. Of course it's now clear she's an alcoholic and has been for quite some time, but she wasn't drinking every day back then (took her quite a while to get to that stage). It also got pretty tedious and concerning as we got older. She's way too far gone with it now to turn back and it'll kill her in the end (genuinely surprised it hasn't already). She's not a bad person at all and can still function fine. She just drinks wine every evening then falls asleep pished in front of the TV, although it has cost her all of her friends, most of her family and any meaning she ever had in life. She's totally reliant on my dad for everything (she no longer works and f**k knows what she does all day when my dad is working; she must be beyond bored). She used to be worse with it in that she would often start boozing earlier and sometimes fall asleep earlier. I mind one time one of her brothers and his wife came through to visit and she fell asleep/passed out at the dinner table. They haven't been back since. Think my old man has long since resigned himself to it, although it's something I've never spoken to him about, and neither have my brothers. Sadly she's sort of dragged him down a bit with her, as he doesn't seem to have any friends outside of work. They're pretty isolated. It's a sad situation. Grim as this is to say, I hope she dies before he does, because she absolutely will not be able to cope without him. It's a sort of macabre race now that he has a death sentence.

Anyway!

Don't think my maw's drinking really affected me or my brothers. I had my first beer at 16 and hated it, and didn't really start drinking until I was 17. 2002 was the first time I ever got drunk. My brothers didn't start drinking until they were 17/18 as well. We've of course all had plenty of times of being too drunk (my older brother once spewed in the street and it stained the pavement for a year; he asked one of my friends to punch him in the stomach to make him spew!) and one time my dad had to pick up my little brother and put him to bed as he was so fucked. Overall though we've not really gotten in to trouble with boozing, although I have had some difficulties with it in recent times due to mental health shit that thankfully I seem to be coming out of.

f**k, that turned in to a bit of a vent! Sorry for the long post!

A long post isnt necessarily a boring one - it was probably something it helped to get out, and you also shouldnt ignore the impact that this had on contributing to the mental health problems you allude to.

Got to feel sorry for your old man as well, probably of a generation that feels like they just have to get on with it and just accepts the cards they are dealt.

I guess that at least these days, people are more likely to seek help.

During the first 2020 lockdown I was woken up in the middle of the night by a couple stumbling along our road drunk, shouting and roaring at each other - I looked out the window and they had a kid with them, I'd say he was about five years old.  The kid kicked a can or something like that and the father thought it was hilarious and wanted him to do it again so he could film it, they then spent about ten minutes practically falling over drunk trying to film it as they kid was kicking it.  It was about 1am and the boy was clearly tired and confused.  They'd obviously gone to a friends to get drunk but didn't have a babysitter due to the lockdown so took him along.

In conclusion, I'd say they were cleaerly scum, subhuman scum.