​​​​​Dundee vs. Airdrie - Scottish Cup R3

RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Are people seriously debating whether Ballantyne deserved that 2nd yellow? It's as blatant as they come, takes the easy option of deliberately stepping towards the Dundee player to stop his run instead of actually turning and going with the runner. He is a total liability, 3 red cards by November is unacceptable (or at least would be in a team where we had an alternative..).

Yip and i'm pretty sure our manager doesn't agree either.

Enjoyed a good cup tie yesterday. Airdrie certainly worth the draw after 90 mins looking good on the break, aided by bad Dee defending. 

Apart from a great save from a Rudden shot on the turn the Diamond keeper will have much better days. Kerr’s excellent left foot cross having left two men in his wake created the error for goal number one, while a horrific sclaf clearance gave Rudden a bit of time to score a composed and good technical finish for 2-1. 

The sending off before extra time coupled with lively Dundee subbies made it a difficult extra time for Airdrie, but I’ve seen less attack minded opponents at Dens this season. Must make the playoffs behind the Pars.  

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Are people seriously debating whether Ballantyne deserved that 2nd yellow? It's as blatant as they come, takes the easy option of deliberately stepping towards the Dundee player to stop his run instead of actually turning and going with the runner. He is a total liability, 3 red cards by November is unacceptable (or at least would be in a team where we had an alternative..).

Thought it was harsh at the time but watching the highlights the ref got that one spot on. 

16 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Thought it was harsh at the time but watching the highlights the ref got that one spot on. 

Same for me, I thought it was an odd decision yesterday but the highlights show it was a very daft thing to do. I like Ballantyne as a player but that’s now three sending offs in nine games and all have come from very poor decision making. You can possibly write off the Edinburgh one but the other two were games we were pushing for a winner and his sending off killed any momentum. 

I did enjoy hearing what I’m pretty sure was someone shouting about John Beaton after the sending off though :lol: 

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Same for me, I thought it was an odd decision yesterday but the highlights show it was a very daft thing to do. I like Ballantyne as a player but that’s now three sending offs in nine games and all have come from very poor decision making. You can possibly write off the Edinburgh one but the other two were games we were pushing for a winner and his sending off killed any momentum. 

I did enjoy hearing what I’m pretty sure was someone shouting about John Beaton after the sending off though :lol: 

What makes it worse is that his first yellow was for basically the same thing 3 minutes earlier so he can't claim to be surprised. It's tired/lazy defending late in the game and it cost us any chance in extra-time (although I think our lack of options on the bench would have seen us lose anyway).

He got a stupid yellow last week with about 10 minutes to go when he lunged at a Kelty player on the touchline at the halfway line for absolutely no reason, it wasn't far off a red card. Against Queen of the South his sending off was another lunge late in the game to avoid him having to do the hard yards back towards his own corner flag. It's stupid and lazy defending.

His sending off against Edinburgh was a bit different (although still ill judged, especially so early in the game) but his stupid lunges and lazy defending need to stop, we cannot afford to be with 10 men for chunks of games and also cannot afford to have him suspended constantly given our squad size. He's had a couple of good performances but overall I've been pretty underwhelmed by him so far given the expectations when we signed him.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

What makes it worse is that his first yellow was for basically the same thing 3 minutes earlier so he can't claim to be surprised. It's tired/lazy defending late in the game and it cost us any chance in extra-time (although I think our lack of options on the bench would have seen us lose anyway).

He got a stupid yellow last week with about 10 minutes to go when he lunged at a Kelty player on the touchline at the halfway line for absolutely no reason, it wasn't far off a red card. Against Queen of the South his sending off was another lunge late in the game to avoid him having to do the hard yards back towards his own corner flag. It's stupid and lazy defending.

His sending off against Edinburgh was a bit different (although still ill judged, especially so early in the game) but his stupid lunges and lazy defending need to stop, we cannot afford to be with 10 men for chunks of games and also cannot afford to have him suspended constantly given our squad size. He's had a couple of good performances but overall I've been pretty underwhelmed by him so far given the expectations when we signed him.

His constant lunging into challenges reminds me a bit of Chris O’Neil, who I felt was often caught in dangerous areas but generally had enough pace to get back and slide tackle his way to safety.

On the other side, Deveney has his faults and tends to have plenty of moments where he panics and makes a mistake on the ball but that’s to be expected for an inexperienced player. Ballantyne’s not far off 200 career appearances and should know better at this point.

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

His constant lunging into challenges reminds me a bit of Chris O’Neil, who I felt was often caught in dangerous areas but generally had enough pace to get back and slide tackle his way to safety.

On the other side, Deveney has his faults and tends to have plenty of moments where he panics and makes a mistake on the ball but that’s to be expected for an inexperienced player. Ballantyne’s not far off 200 career appearances and should know better at this point.

He's already had more red cards than the entire team did in 47 games last season (2). Discipline was a big part of our success last year, both in keeping 11 men on the park but also allowing consistency of selection each week. I know McCabe implied after the game that the referee had got it wrong but I hope once he's watched the footage in the cold light of day he'll realise he's wrong and that it was self-inflicted.