Elgin City -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 3 December 2022)

After a successful result in the Scottish Cup last weekend, Stenhousemuir return to league duty with a trip to face Elgin City at Borough Briggs on Saturday. The last meeting between the sides in September was an entertaining 3-3 draw and I'd expect a similarly high-scoring match here, with both teams capable in attack (and equally inept at defending). Stenny are, as Stephen Swift has reminded fans in his two most recent post-match interviews, just two points from third place and a victory here, coupled with East Fife dropping points, could see them move into Elgin's spot and "kickstart the season", as it were.

I'm not particularly excited by this fixture. I want my team to win, of course, but I feel ambivalent towards Swift and, as I've said many times in the past, I can't see us moving forward as a club until there is a change in the dugout. While progress in the Scottish Cup at the expense of a mid-ranking Highland League side like Formartine is welcomed, it doesn't tell us much in the grand scheme of things; the league is where it's at and our difficult run in December, where we also play Dumbarton and Stirling Albion, will be vital in determining our season.

Will Swift be as bold in reprising the same attacking line-up that started against Formartine? Perhaps! Or perhaps he'll go with something more sensible. I've genuinely no idea, so I've just thrown shit at the wall in terms of who might and who might not be available.

- Matty Yates - Tam Orr -

- Euan O'Reilly - Mikey Anderson - Adam Brown - Mikey Miller -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Dan Higgins - Ross Philp -

- Jay Cantley -

We'll no doubt grab a couple here, we have the players who can do it, but we'll also chuck in some daft goals from set-pieces. That's just how it is and there's nothing we can do to fix it.

Will depend on how we contain Hester.

Really not to bothered at the moment as I have said I will not be back until Swift is gone. if it means a couple of defeats to realise this then so be it. The important thing is the board can not prolong this for too long. There is an outside chance that a new face will turn us round but the longer we wait the slimmer the chance of this happening. Knowing our luck the board will offer Swift a new contract.

Wonder if Cantley will keep his place?

I'd love to see the attacking 4-2-4 line-up maintained but as has been pointed out, Hester would exploit that space. Yates, O'Reilly, Orr and Sewell would keep Elgin sitting deep and need to press hard to stop that out ball. We'd need Miller to try and stay with Hester. Don't think Anderson is good enough to do that, so I'd pair Miller with Brown in the middle of the park. Back four of Yeats, Crighton, Corbett and Philp. Go for it.

Feeling surprisingly confident for this one, which will probably mean we'll get skelped 😅 

Hope their "young team" are allowed back to make some 'atmosphere'. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

A good game to watch with Elgin the better team. Stenny shaded it in the first half but didn't look like scoring until Dolanzski's  fresh air kick allowed them into score. Normally I'm on tenterhooks when Elgin only have a goal lead but not today. Draper was my MotM although the whole team played well. Other results went our way today so all in all a good day.

A very angry Stenny fan giving huge volleys of abuse to their dugout around ten mins from the end of todays match was a particular highlight. Wasn’t much in the match, Hester nicked a goal, that’s what he does, otherwise two evenly matched teams, O’Reilly of Stenny impressed me as did Dingwall and Young from City.