Scottish Amateur Club Ranking (working at last!)

mcruic

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrankam.html

Clicking on teams gives their results for this and last season, along with ranking point exchanged, while tabs above are rankings for each association, and for the districts (East, West, North, South, North of Tay, Fife, Highland).

607 teams in total (all clubs playing Saturday Amateur football affiliated to the Scottish Amateur FA).

Enjoy!

I extrapolated the league rankings by averaging the rankings of the clubs in each league.  One anomaly was the Saturday Morning 3rd Tier (Division 1A) being ranked ahead of it's 2nd Tier (Championship), but this may well be due to several higher-ranked clubs having to start at the bottom after moving from the defunct Glasgow & District Saturday Morning League.

Central Scottish by far the best league - even their 2nd tier makes the Top 5.

image.thumb.png.4305a798b58c9b96882b12f5443dad0f.png

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You've lost me, how do you rank different leagues if their teams never meet?

I've used all matches from all leagues for this season and last season, as well as the district cups and Scottish cup.  I've also included results from the district and Scottish cups back to 2015-16 to get a better idea of inter-league strength, as well as a few results before this when some Highland clubs actually entered the Scottish Cup.  17000 results.  Basically, if clubs from a certain league do well in the Scottish Cup, their league's ranking (and that of all the teams in it) will get better, and vice versa.

As it was formerly a Saturday League, and as I had a few results from the South of Scotland Amateur Cup when their clubs used to compete in it, I've added the 14 Dumfries Sunday League sides to the ranking, taking the total up to 616.

• 3 weeks later...

With more than a little difficulty, I've now added Sunday amateur (256 teams) and welfare (84 teams) club rankings to the site.  These have only the current season's results to go by, tagged on to the previous 4 seasons' Scottish/district scores - so it may take the clubs a little bit longer to reach what seems like their natural position.  Essentially, though, you'll find the good teams at the top, and the rubbish ones at the bottom.  So there are now 

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrankamsun.html
https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrankwel.html

Glasgow Community & Co-operative and Scottish Unity League clubs have been added to the Sunday ranking, despite their leagues not being affiliated to the SAFA (I was able to find some crossover results as a few teams from these leagues have gone on to play in SAFA-affiliated leagues this season).

The non-SAFA affiliated Edinburgh Churches League teams have been added to the Saturday section, but it was not possible to rank them due to them not playing any teams outside of their own league (and I couldn't find any teams from this league who have gone on to play in an affiliated league, or vice versa, with the exception of Corstorphine Timbers, who have now joined the LEAFA Sunday amateurs) - If anyone knows any different,  please let me know!
The West of Scotland U21 League has also been added to the Saturday rankings, as that league is, since the start of this season, affiliated to the SAFA, and eligible to enter its clubs into SAFA competitions.

So, that's all 292 senior clubs, 210 reserve and U20 teams, 617 Saturday amateur clubs, 256 Sunday amateur clubs, 84 welfare clubs, and 82 women's clubs now ranked (1541 clubs in total).

Edited by mcruic

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2022 at 09:18, mcruic said:

With more than a little difficulty, I've now added Sunday amateur (256 teams) and welfare (84 teams) club rankings to the site.  These have only the current season's results to go by, tagged on to the previous 4 seasons' Scottish/district scores - so it may take the clubs a little bit longer to reach what seems like their natural position.  Essentially, though, you'll find the good teams at the top, and the rubbish ones at the bottom.  So there are now 

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrankamsun.html
https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrankwel.html

Glasgow Community & Co-operative and Scottish Unity League clubs have been added to the Sunday ranking, despite their leagues not being affiliated to the SAFA (I was able to find some crossover results as a few teams from these leagues have gone on to play in SAFA-affiliated leagues this season).

The non-SAFA affiliated Edinburgh Churches League teams have been added to the Saturday section, but it was not possible to rank them due to them not playing any teams outside of their own league (and I couldn't find any teams from this league who have gone on to play in an affiliated league, or vice versa, with the exception of Corstorphine Timbers, who have now joined the LEAFA Sunday amateurs) - If anyone knows any different,  please let me know!
The West of Scotland U21 League has also been added to the Saturday rankings, as that league is, since the start of this season, affiliated to the SAFA, and eligible to enter its clubs into SAFA competitions.

So, that's all 292 senior clubs, 210 reserve and U20 teams, 617 Saturday amateur clubs, 256 Sunday amateur clubs, 84 welfare clubs, and 82 women's clubs now ranked (1541 clubs in total).

How do the rankings work in terms of comparing teams in different leagues? There are certain teams that are doing okay in easier leagues and ranking higher than teams towards the bottom of the league above which is odd.

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2023 at 22:49, Honest_Man#1 said:

How do the rankings work in terms of comparing teams in different leagues? There are certain teams that are doing okay in easier leagues and ranking higher than teams towards the bottom of the league above which is odd.

You'd always expect teams in the top half of a lower league to be similar level to teams in the bottom half of the league above (you would expect a team winning the lower league to perhaps finish mid-table the following season in the higher league).

It's all done based on results - cup results are the only times teams from different leagues/divisions meet, so inter-division or inter-league rankings are worked out using results between teams from different divisions/leagues in cup competitions.  The more matches that Re played, the more accurate this will become.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Very, very impressive work but - and I do understand 'weighting' etc - how can Cupar Hearts drop down after an absolutely incredible run of successive wins, including a Scottish Amateur Cup trophy, knocking the 2nd favourite out of the Fife Cup and still in the Scottish knocking out the strongest team in another league yesterday? Either your 'weighting' is wonky or you just don't give enough significance of an exceptional side skewing your  analytical suppositions. 

BTW this isn't a dig but by all reasoned viewing Cupar are the best Amateur team in Scotland at the moment. 

Clearly I'm biased though 😜👌🏆

• 3 months later...

You can drop down the rankings if you don't live up to your own standards - once you get to the top, it's hard to stay there unless you keep winning as you would be expected to win (i.e. by 2 or 3 goals against teams further down the rankings, not just 1-0).  Cupar's doing just fine just now - third place and a chance to win the Scottish (although now that they've got to 3rd, they'll be expected to win against Steins in the semi, and then win comfortably against Garrowhill in the final - anything less and they won't be going any further up).

On 23/04/2024 at 13:45, scotscores said:

You can drop down the rankings if you don't live up to your own standards - once you get to the top, it's hard to stay there unless you keep winning as you would be expected to win (i.e. by 2 or 3 goals against teams further down the rankings, not just 1-0).  Cupar's doing just fine just now - third place and a chance to win the Scottish (although now that they've got to 3rd, they'll be expected to win against Steins in the semi, and then win comfortably against Garrowhill in the final - anything less and they won't be going any further up).

Cheers. But that's exactly what they are doing. My contention is that your original positioning of the KOF League is undervalued and this has made the Cupar successes at every single hurdle over the past 3-4 years undervalued.  Look at the results outwith the league in the National Cup. They have beaten every 'higher tariff' club they have faced.  Every single one of them. 

As I've said previously I appreciate your dedication and monumental efforts but Cupar have simply proved to be an anomaly. They just keep finding a way to win at every level. Its impossible for thrm to maintain it year after year but whether they now win the Scottish Cup Final is an irrelevance. By any objective viewing they are now the pre-eminent amateur club in Scotland at this present time. Having followed them through thick and thin for over 50 years I'm both stunned and overjoyed by their run over recent years but it's reward for being a well-run community club who haven’t lost its belief in local talent being the most important asset to any amateur fitba club with ambition. Its a fascinating argument for geeks like you and me though my friend.