**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 Films of All Time**

Wee-Bey

Finally catching up with this list, glad to see that Das Leben Der Anderen was high up, the scene in the elevator with the line "what's the name of your... ball" gets me every time, an excellent scene.

Downfall is a great film but I think it isn't at the level of either Das Leben, Goodbye Lenin or Das Boot when it comes to German language films.

On 07/01/2023 at 10:38, BFTD said:

I've never got around to watching the Bourne films for some reason but, while the Bond films can be a lot of fun, they're very much cinematic chuddy, aren't they? Not the kind of thing that stays with you and makes all-time lists.

Nobody really cares about Jack Ryan, surely. People only really remember The Hunt for Red October because Sean was in it. I saw that Affleck one about the nuclear bomb a while back, but I don't remember a thing about it now, other than there was a nice reference to Sneakers.

The only Bond movie that would get a look-in is probably Skyfall. 

The best Jack Ryan movies were the Harrison Ford ones. The reboot attempts with Affleck and Pine were utter shite. 

As an aside, season 2 of 24 completely nicked the plotline to a Jack Ryan book. The whole series. 

23 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Finally catching up with this list, glad to see that Das Leben Der Anderen was high up, the scene in the elevator with the line "what's the name of your... ball" gets me every time, an excellent scene.

Downfall is a great film but I think it isn't at the level of either Das Leben, Goodbye Lenin or Das Boot when it comes to German language films.

Das Experiment and The Baader Meinhof Syndrome are both better too.

On 06/01/2023 at 23:18, Slim Charles. said:

And nobody has any excuses now for not broadening their horizons and watching some of the films on this list that they were unaware of. Let's see those reviews in the movie thread.

Not to denigrate the work you've put in but it's unsurprisingly a bit of a (white) sausage fest so not really going to broaden the horizons of your average P&Ber.

The popularity of The Departed makes me incandescent with rage. Incandescent. Infernal Affairs is so much more tightly plotted and the tension was unbearable. The Departed is so bloated in comparison with whole scenes and parts of the script lifted from the original. Don't get me started on Mark Whalberg. 

Undoubtedly unpopular opinion here but Scorsese does nothing for me. 

9 hours ago, Baggio said:

Not to denigrate the work you've put in but it's unsurprisingly a bit of a (white) sausage fest so not really going to broaden the horizons of your average P&Ber.

This is fair point, people like what they like I guess and there's few surprises in the top 20, but if you compare the list to the 2012 one, which had zero foreign language films and only a couple black and white ones, we're trending in the right direction at least.

• 11 months later...