**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 Films of All Time**

Wee-Bey

11 hours ago, Slim Charles. said:

88th (new entry)

Dead Man's Shoes (2004) Meadows

s-l500.png.9246df3a338641a87d7e0b085e428306.png

"I'm not threatening you mate, it's beyond fucking words"

Set in bleak Sheffield, Shane Meadows gritty tale sees Paddy Considine's army vet return home to clean up the town.

It's set in Matlock, Derbyshire. 

9 hours ago, Slim Charles. said:

73rd (new entry)

Aguirre, Wrath Of God (1972) Herzog

aguirrewrathofgod-1000x600.jpg.3b7b987fcde8637ec84fb870a71ce7c5.jpg

"These men measure riches in gold. It's more. It's power and fame. I despise them for it."

Conquistador Lope de Aguirre leads his men down the Amazon and into the Heart of Darkness in search of El Dorado. Proper mental cult classic from the stories of its production to the Krautrock synth score and the opening scenes in the jungle.

This was in my list, I was enthralled by it when I first watched it last month. You can see the influence it had on films like Apocalypse Now, New World and even Predator.

IIRC Jagger was filmed , but did not make the final cut

73rd (down 32)

Gladiator (2001) Scott

p06h20l2.jpg.a8280c3d4a5328561a3b8bb9b801aa92.jpg

"Are you not entertained ? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED ?"

Husband of a murdered wife, father of a murdered son. With these words Russell Crowe's Maximus becomes the founding member of Fathers 4 Justice. Alongside Olly Reed who managed to stay off the birds and booze long enough to play the Jose Mourinho of Gladiator trainers, they move from the Northern African backwaters back to the Serie A big leagues to save Rome and stop Joaquin Phoenix from pumping his own sister.

Edited by Slim Charles.

72nd (new entry)

The Master (2012) P.T. Anderson

The-Master.jpg.c81161f122df01cb8dbc83cd8b13ff07.jpg

"He's making all of this up as he goes along. You don't see that ?"

Notable for being shot on 65mm film, Paul Thomas Anderson's tale of a WWII Navy vet is either an existential tale of post war America, an analogy of the birth of Scientology or a homoerotic love story. Or perhaps it's all 3.

Edited by Slim Charles.

71st (new entry)

24 Hour Party People (2002) Winterbottom

24-hour-party-people-900x0-c-default.jpg.ba06867d20971b3b8999ab0b39427753.jpg

"This is it. The birth of rave culture. The beatification of the beat. The dance age. This is the moment when even the white man starts dancing. Welcome to Madchester."

This biographical story of Tony Wilson and Factory Records tells the tale of the Manchester music scene from the late seventies to the early nineties. The cast is a who's who of British acting and the soundtrack is understandably, a banger.

Edited by Slim Charles.

3 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

IIRC Jagger was filmed , but did not make the final cut

No, you're thinking of Fitzcarraldo when Jagger had to leave due to other commitments with Klaus Kinski taking over the lead role. There's a brilliant documentary, The Burden Of Dreams, which shows the extreme conditions Herzog had to go through making this film plus working with Kinski who was known to be very difficult and to say he was insane is probably putting it mildly.

70th (new entry)

Django, Unchained (2012) Tarantino 

1364182037_1.jpg.92a465171fcc1f928ee1a7e58f0dcaba.jpg

"Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention."

112. Not the millions of dollars it cost to make, or the number of award nominations it received, but the number of n- bombs dropped in Tarantino's revisionist Western. Jamie Foxx's freed slave teams up with Christoph Waltz's German bounty hunter to blaze a path of violence and revenge across the Antebellum South before the final confrontation with Leo Di Caprio's Calvin J. Candie.

Edited by Slim Charles.

=67th (new entry)

Oldboy (2003) Park

oldboy-01.thumb.jpg.6ab474d8225f94bbf91176ff4003788d.jpg

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you... Weep, and you weep alone"

We're off to South Korea for this thriller adapted from a Japanese Manga. Oh Dae-su is kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, finally released he searches for answers. An incredibly dark film, this also inspired a shan Spike Lee remake 10 years later.

Edited by Slim Charles.

=67th (new entry)

The Matrix (1999) The Wachowskis

35766c5e099bc14f246a7bd5980a82fb_706x397.jpg.891d6fa361826956e9fb3654bd1d4bee.jpg

"A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible."

Neo takes the red pill on his way to becoming 'The One' in this cyberpunk Sci fi classic. This has undoubtedly had an incredible influence on culture and society, from the 'bullet time' special effects and choreography to the appropriation of its themes by the alt-right.

Edited by Slim Charles.

=67th (new entry)

The Life And Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) Powell & Pressberger

EB20021027REVIEWS08210270301AR.jpg.8a39ccf3d323797fd81f93def5a496e8.jpg

"They told me in Bloemfontein that they'd cut off your leg !!

Can't have old boy. I'd have known about it"

Considered one of the greatest British films of all time, this 1943 romantic comedy is a satire of war and the British Army that pissed off Winston Churchill.

Edited by Slim Charles.

66th (down 41)

Monty Python And The Holy Grail (1975) Jones & Gilliam

TELEMMGLPICT000124087174_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqT9QFHfgEo2x1tSWbBHFyRvAgFdkaVmDppmpLBQ4PVdc.thumb.jpeg.8edb2edebe1dca4367118a78b1ad51e6.jpeg

"It's just a flesh wound"

Typical absurdist skits and nonsense from the Python crew in this satire of medieval and Arthurian times.

Edited by Slim Charles.

65th (down 20)

Airplane! (1980) Abrahams

airplane-ted-striker-elaine-dickinson-dr-rumack-cockpit-julie-hagerty-leslie-nielsen-robert-hays-review.jpg.03972f498594738473107aed04f7a97b.jpg

"...and don't call me Shirley"

Leslie Nielsen warms up for Naked Gun and steals the show with the deadpan timing and delivery of those gags in this comedy, a spoof on disaster movies, about a plane in trouble.

Edited by Slim Charles.

64th (down 41)

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) Lucas

STAR-WARS_UNDER-TEXT1000.jpg.bd5c7fce8e1d75d903faa905cf0ddd87.jpg

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck"

A weird cult of child abducting space wizards with laser swords aid the terrorists disrupting a peaceful galaxy still recovering from a civil war.

Edited by Slim Charles.

On 02/01/2023 at 15:01, Slim Charles. said:

87th (new entry)

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) Cameron

g5j3WtEwEjPDYu3vWGatzZ.thumb.jpg.1096093e04fa9d32dac5665745ab3022.jpg

"Hasta la vista baby"

Big Jim Cameron works his movie magic here with one of the all time great sequels as Arnie returns from the future to protect a young John Connor from the machines. A film with instantly recognisble characters and quotes and oft parodied and troped.

A few months ago I watched all of the Terminators. It's an absolute travesty that action movies went from this - something with long shots of stunts like the chase through the river in the picture, or the chase/shootout with the tanker at the end - to the CGI-laden shambles that's common now. You see the actual stunts and explosions and it looks real, and you know people are doing the things. Then you see Dark Fate and a Humvee falls out a plane, skates down a dam and goes upside down along a river and Linda Hamilton's hair remains immaculate inside the whole time. Utter shite.

23 hours ago, Detournement said:

I don't think so but ScarJo braving Wishaw, Port Glasgow, Livingston and driving a van through thousands of fans coming out a Celtic game should have earned her an Oscar. 

The choice of locations reminds of this passage from James Robertson's And The Land Lay Still.

Screenshot_2023-01-02-18-49-10-969_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.c1d5961639d0685b5424eb3d69f64afd.jpg

And The Land Lay Still is woefully unread for being the only great cultural output of the Scottish Independence movement. 

Under the Skin is Scarlett Johansson in a van driving about Govan picking up men. I don't care how good it is, it's physically impossible for me to take it seriously.

18 hours ago, Slim Charles. said:

73rd (new entry)

Aguirre, Wrath Of God (1972) Herzog

aguirrewrathofgod-1000x600.jpg.3b7b987fcde8637ec84fb870a71ce7c5.jpg

"These men measure riches in gold. It's more. It's power and fame. I despise them for it."

Conquistador Lope de Aguirre leads his men down the Amazon and into the Heart of Darkness in search of El Dorado. Proper mental cult classic from the stories of its production to the Krautrock synth score and the opening scenes in the jungle.

This was in my list, I was enthralled by it when I first watched it last month. You can see the influence it had on films like Apocalypse Now, New World and even Predator.

The opening scenes of this are about the most impossible looking shots I've ever seen. That the madness only increases from there says a lot.

63rd (new entry)

The Truman Show (1998) Weir

727074-25905-clp-720.jpg.71a91cf0e0d642140be0f6b871c622b9.jpg

"We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented. It's as simple as that."

Jim Carey's Truman starts to believe something is up with his perfect life in Seahaven. Initially seen as a quirky comedy or satire, it perhaps is quite a bit deeper than that. You can also be diagnosed with Truman Syndrome now.

Edited by Slim Charles.

62nd (new entry)

Midnight Run (1988) Brest

midnight-run-slide.jpg.640571cb3b7dd3e5fa7d7a2577f0cf17.jpg

"Cigarettes are killers.

So are women."

Bobby De Niro stars as a bounty hunter in this well received action/comedy/buddy/road trip movie as he tries to transport a mob accountant across the country.

Edited by Slim Charles.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

A few months ago I watched all of the Terminators. It's an absolute travesty that action movies went from this - something with long shots of stunts like the chase through the river in the picture, or the chase/shootout with the tanker at the end - to the CGI-laden shambles that's common now. You see the actual stunts and explosions and it looks real, and you know people are doing the things. Then you see Dark Fate and a Humvee falls out a plane, skates down a dam and goes upside down along a river and Linda Hamilton's hair remains immaculate inside the whole time. Utter shite.

Under the Skin is Scarlett Johansson in a van driving about Govan picking up men. I don't care how good it is, it's physically impossible for me to take it seriously.

The opening scenes of this are about the most impossible looking shots I've ever seen. That the madness only increases from there says a lot.

2 correct points out of three ain't bad. The beach scene in Under The Skin and the disabled man who escapes are about as serious as it gets.

Aguirre ending with the monkeys is perfect. 

Just now, Detournement said:

2 correct points out of three ain't bad. The beach scene in Under The Skin and the disabled man who escapes are about as serious as it gets.

Aguirre ending with the monkeys is perfect. 

The stuff after Scarlett Johansson driving about Govan in a van picking up men may well have been very serious, but I was out of it by that point. That and her walking up the Gallowgate and listening to Kaye Adams on the radio.