Maryhill Luvvies V's Doddsy's Dudds - Friday night Festive football festival

12 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

It’s amazing how one bad decision can make such a difference. Kenny Cameron appointing Richie Foran as manager was a bat shit mental decision at the time, on a 4 year deal at that, and since then it has been a complete and disaster at the club.

Appointing a talismanic player as manager is hardly unheard of (though the four year deal was bonkers).  The problem was around Christmas that year it was beginning to become very obvious that he wasn't up to it.  Looking back, the Hamilton debacle could go down as one of our most important games ever.  We were rubbish but we weren't out of it at that point.  Had we sacked him and appointed someone who was a safe pair of hands it's not inconceivable that we would've stayed up and finished in the top six the following season.  There's no reason to see why we wouldn't still be a middle of the table Premiership club now.

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Appointing a talismanic player as manager is hardly unheard of (though the four year deal was bonkers).  The problem was around Christmas that year it was beginning to become very obvious that he wasn't up to it.  Looking back, the Hamilton debacle could go down as one of our most important games ever.  We were rubbish but we weren't out of it at that point.  Had we sacked him and appointed someone who was a safe pair of hands it's not inconceivable that we would've stayed up and finished in the top six the following season.  There's no reason to see why we wouldn't still be a middle of the table Premiership club now.

No, you’re right it’s not unheard of, but it was quite well known at the time that he had no real interest in coaching/management and it was another jobs for the boys appointment.

You’re absolutely right about the Hamilton game. Another major f**k up not getting rid of him at that point. The squad we had was still a decent one for mid table premiership, though a few were starting to get a bit older, and any half competent manager could have kept us up.

24 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Worrying that fans of opposition teams seem more concerned about the negativity at our club both on and off field than most of our own.

I like ICT and I an sure things will look up. One thing I have learned is that when on a bad run as we were up to the Arbroath game, fans tend to look for problems that aren't there. I remain convinced that although our off-field issues didn't help, the main reason for our bad run was losing 4 key player due to injury. Especially as 3 of the 4 were leaders on the park, Graham, Docherty and Holt

Tiffonry wasn't a leader he was just brilliant!

I am sure ICT will improve  when you get all your best players back..

Thanks for standing by us 3 years ago, unlike those backstabbers at Dundee,  when we were unfairly relegated. 

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

No, you’re right it’s not unheard of, but it was quite well known at the time that he had no real interest in coaching/management and it was another jobs for the boys appointment.

You’re absolutely right about the Hamilton game. Another major f**k up not getting rid of him at that point. The squad we had was still a decent one for mid table premiership, though a few were starting to get a bit older, and any half competent manager could have kept us up.

Look at some of the player we had that season - Raven, Meekings, Warren, Tremarco, Draper, Tansey, Doran, Mckay, Fisher, McNaughton, Esson, Vigurs, McCart.  I honestly think a competent manager could've finished in the top six with the squad he had at his disposal.  

1 minute ago, approximately dave said:

Why were Devine, Harper and Shaw not playing last night?

Is this more to add to the injury list?

I know Devine had to play against Dundee while not fully fit.

There's been rumours for some time that it's not only the nurses and the RMT who are striking this Christmas...  It was reported yesterday that Devine and Harper were in the plans earlier in the week but have (presumably) pulled up injured again.

Just now, Highland Capital said:

There's been rumours for some time that it's not only the nurses and the RMT who are striking this Christmas...  It was reported yesterday that Devine and Harper were in the plans earlier in the week but have (presumably) pulled up injured again.

You're not suggesting a coincidence here?

48 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

You're not suggesting a coincidence here?

I’m not suggesting Devine and Harper aren’t injured but there’s been rumours for some time that one “injured’ player is actually not playing for another reason. 

In his BBC post match interview Dodds indicated that the 5-1 defeat was down to a 'joke' of an injury crisis?

There were 10 first team signings in our line up, 5 at least were his signings.

Truth be fuckin told Dodds is the fuckin joke.

The sooner he is out the door along with Robertson and the coaching staff the better.

The 'joke' stops with the board and they need to act now or I can easily see a major loss in Season Tickets.

Very enjoyable performance last night, gutted I wasn’t at Firhill for it but the stream was fine. I thought everyone played well, but Turner is really becoming a vital cog in the team. Whereas last season he was great at set pieces but not much else, this time he’s still got the corners but so much good play seems to flow through him. Graham and Fitzpatrick were also excellent. And it was good to see a few of the young boys get some time - particularly MacKenzie who appears to be very highly rated. 

Caley’s performance has been discussed at length above, and I don’t have much to add - but if it’s true that you can’t afford to punt Dodds then I think 8th is about the best you can hope for, unless your injury list clears up massively. Fortunately, Arbroath and Accies are both dross. If it makes you feel better, we beat Morton 5-1 at Firhill a few months ago, and I think they’re unbeaten since then. 

12 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

No excuses or comeback from this, the whole coaching staff including Robertson have to be sacked now.

This has only proven what we the fans have been saying for weeks.

Enough is enough.

Didn’t you go on a run of about 11 games last season without a win and ended up in the playoff final ? 

Football is a funny old game as they say. We went 5 straight losses, but could be 2nd after Monday - probably won’t be.

46 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Didn’t you go on a run of about 11 games last season without a win and ended up in the playoff final ? 

Football is a funny old game as they say. We went 5 straight losses, but could be 2nd after Monday - probably won’t be.

I think it was something like 13 games which equalled our longest winless run ever. I feel more and more that we got to the playoffs in spite of Dodds not because of him. 

We've been piping hot garbage this season and have played well maybe 2 or 3 times in the league (at best). Some of the victories before our current winless run (like Cove) were barely deserved.

It looks more and more likely that Dodds doesn't know how to turn it around. His post match interviews suggest he recognises some of the issues from games yet he seldom makes any changes to try and improve things during a match. 

17 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Look at some of the player we had that season - Raven, Meekings, Warren, Tremarco, Draper, Tansey, Doran, Mckay, Fisher, McNaughton, Esson, Vigurs, McCart.  I honestly think a competent manager could've finished in the top six with the squad he had at his disposal.  

Meekings, Doran, McNaughton spent much of the season injured. The break up of the Warren - Meekings pairing in the center of defence was a huge blow. From then on it was mix and match with only McCart having signed on loan in the second half of the season looking the most at home in the center of defence than anyone else. Raven's legs had gone, he knew it , everyone knew it. Famous Welsh painter/artist Owain Fon Williams who seemed buckled for some reason was preferred to the reliable Esson. It is noted that when OFW was finally dropped for the last four games all of a sudden we started winning. What was it 3 out of 4 wins. Sometimes you just want to leave your seat go marching down that players tunnel and boot that home dressing room door off its hinges.

Billy McKay joined on loan in January and apart from a spectacular winner against Fake Rangers he didn't pick up where he left off mainly because he spent much of the time on his ownsome up front with no one to feed him. Alex Fisher was an enigma, played 25 times that season, scored only 2 goals in 17 games in 2016, spent three months out, came back in April scored 2 against Motherwell, then scored in all the last three games including another 2 against Motherwell, who signed him. Yeah I have my suspicions about that one. Thought Anier was one of the most lazy footballers I've ever seen, at least Boden tried, watching the poor lad's have the confidence just gradually drain out of him was sad to watch.

We also had too many similar players in midfield often playing at the same time with only Vigurs being anything close to an attack minded midfielder (basically Hughes had f**ked us before he left with his signings so there was even less money to use on wages). But those signings weren't any better than the ones who left in the summer and when the likes of McKay, King, McCart and Laing joined in 2017 the lifeboats were already being lowered into the sea. In the midfield it really Polworth, Vigurs and Tansey up until he signed that pre contract. Sometimes I never realised Draper was playing and Mulraney was too lightweight. There wasn't much else of note other than we were often getting bossed and over run in the midfield by supposedly worse teams like Hamilton Accies and Dundee.

We also had Polworth falling out with supporters which was well documented on here, then we had Aberdeen waving a 3 year deal in front of Tansey, they signed him on a pre contract. Tansey who had been by far Hughes best signing suddenly stopped and every game since looked like he didn't want to be here. He should have been dropped, give someone else a shot. What does Foran do about it when a player just downs tools and can't be bothered any more? He keeps playing him.

Tremarco who seized his chance the season before really came into his own this season, absolutely bust a gut and at times carried the team. The only one out of your list there who passed with flying colours. Other than that 19 year old Jamie McCart showed great potential, but generally that list was full of players who were either injured, couldn't be arsed anymore and looking to bail out and or were shoehorned into Foran's match tactics and left to get on with it.

On top of it all Foran was out of his depth and for a former captain surprisingly seemed completely at sea with man management and given he pretty much was Terry Butcher's young apprentice he didn't have that same ruthless streak. However much of the blame lies squarely at the feet of those who ran the club. Far too many risks with the club's finances. Seeing a downturn trend in performance both on and off the pitch after winning the Scottish Cup and then appointing an inexperienced manager on a four year contract was madness, it was questioned back then and it is still questioned now.

There could be simularities drawn from many of those then to where we are now.

Thank f**k for Hamilton being more pish.

[has a double check in rear view mirror just to be sure]

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I’m not suggesting Devine and Harper aren’t injured but there’s been rumours for some time that one “injured’ player is actually not playing for another reason. 

It helps if the clubs gives us a reason for the injury then its supposed to halt the opportunity for rumours and gossip to grow arms and legs. Unless those at the club have a history of misleading supporters, then the damage is already there and will be impossible to fix.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Without that we would have probably been automatically promoted and we all know the result of the play offs.

Last nights game typifies the terrible football that is being produced on the park, it almost looks like the players want rid of Dodds as much as we do, we have players in that team who have the quality to play much much better so there can only be one problem and that is the coaching staff.

Something has to be done very soon.

For the life of me I don't know what Dodds is telling his employers maybe he's banking on what you mentioned in your post that he's selling it as a minor glitch and injuries but he had 10 first team signings on the park last night so blaming injuries is pathetic.

Caley Thistle online is another forum which is usually quiet, loyal and moderate but I see this morning that most posters are enraged at what's happening.

Edited by SandyCromarty

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Without that we would have probably been automatically promoted and we all know the result of the play offs.

Last nights game typifies the terrible football that is being produced on the park, it almost looks like the players want rid of Dodds as much as we do, we have players in that team who have the quality to play much much better so there can only be one problem and that is the coaching staff.

Something has to be done very soon.

For the life of me I don't know what Dodds is telling his employers maybe he's banking on what you mentioned in your post that he's selling it as a minor glitch and injuries but he had 10 first team signings on the park last night so blaming injuries is pathetic.

Caley Thistle online is another forum which is usually quiet, loyal and moderate but I see this morning that most posters are enraged at what's happening.

Our fortunes changed with the resolution of off field matters. That coincided with the return from injury of 2 or 3 key players and  form from a couple of others. Turmoil behind the scenes shouldn’t be underestimated on morale of the squad.