Hamilton Academical thread

Today definitely sums up why we're in the position we're in. No bottle whatsoever and absolutely toothless going forward. We can get the ball forward at times, but never nearly enough get it into the dangerous positions where we can get a shot away, it's all just too slow and stagnant.

I really think that's it now in terms of catching Arbroath. Both of us have 5 games left, Arbroath's run includes a poor Raith side with injuries and Cove, which is pretty much a cert 6 points, and with the form they're in, I wouldn't bet against them picking something up against ICT and Partick.

Even if we managed to better their return by at least 1 point going into the final game, I really can't see us beating them at Gayfield. 

So the question is, can we win the playoffs if we can keep above Cove...

You just have to say fair play to John Rankin btw 👏 has been obvious since the challenge cup he is an awful manager but has stolen a wage all season. Knows he won’t get another job after this so is happy to ride it out until the end of the season with a diddy cup win on his record knowing he can slink away to Sportscene/Sky sports/Open all mics and have a cushy wee number going forward.

From day one we have knew the squad was poor but they’ve been sent out fighting with one arm behind their back all season with him and his chubby wee assistant at the helm.

Many will blame the board and lack of investment and don’t get me wrong that is a factor but even in the Premiership there was a lack of investment but a competent team was always able to be set up to be hard to beat this is now well and truly gone.

The board sacking Taylor who was by no means perfect because his face didn’t fit will haunt this board big time as he could atleast set the team up to a reasonable standard unlike this permatanned clown.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

The board need to learn from their self-admitted mistakes from the last time we went down, but I'm extremely worried about what the budget will allow us to do (other than go part-time). 

Maitland said that the board incorrectly assumed that the young squad would cope in the Championship. They didn't, so don't make the mistake with these u18s in League One. 

He admitted that he only gave Rice a new contract at the end of the 20/21 season to try and galvanise the club when things were going tits up. It didn't, so don't make the same mistake with Rankin. 

For about four years (since Canning left, really) we've had three successive managers say that they've strived to change a negative culture within the club. Well it's still here so you might as well bin absolutely everyone.

None of this changes should we somehow stay in the division.

13 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

You just have to say fair play to John Rankin btw 👏 has been obvious since the challenge cup he is an awful manager but has stolen a wage all season. Knows he won’t get another job after this so is happy to ride it out until the end of the season with a diddy cup win on his record knowing he can slink away to Sportscene/Sky sports/Open all mics and have a cushy wee number going forward.

From day one we have knew the squad was poor but they’ve been sent out fighting with one arm behind their back all season with him and his chubby wee assistant at the helm.

Many will blame the board and lack of investment and don’t get me wrong that is a factor but even in the Premiership there was a lack of investment but a competent team was always able to be set up to be hard to beat this is now well and truly gone.

The board sacking Taylor who was by no means perfect because his face didn’t fit will haunt this board big time as he could atleast set the team up to a reasonable standard unlike this permatanned clown.

It's a horrible combination of a terrible manager given a hopelessness squad due to the budget set by an uninterested board. 

I was extremely worried about him 45 minutes into the first competitive game of the season but somewhat (very much somewhat) accepted that he was a rookie so might improve, and he has shown glimmers but has never got close to looking like he'll give this dreadful squad the best chance of staying up. 

As dreadful as Tiehi is and Ashley-Seal doesn't look great either, Haaland would struggle in a team that can't create. Is it nine games since an open play goal? We rely on free kicks, corners and penalties. Our only creative players are probably Zanatta and Lewis, both have been pretty rank all season but surely one of them has to start? And Tumilty has to be right back. Give McGinn a chance at left back, he looked good against Hearts. I think Rankin is clueless.

23 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

You stupid deluded clown. 

Everyone can clearly see Rankin  has had total dross and no money to work with

3 hours ago, Owsley said:

As dreadful as Tiehi is and Ashley-Seal doesn't look great either, Haaland would struggle in a team that can't create. Is it nine games since an open play goal? We rely on free kicks, corners and penalties. Our only creative players are probably Zanatta and Lewis, both have been pretty rank all season but surely one of them has to start? And Tumilty has to be right back. Give McGinn a chance at left back, he looked good against Hearts. I think Rankin is clueless.

McGinn came on versus Queens Park,made a goal-saving tackle and did more in his short spell than Sparrow who cost the goal did.

No surprise what the clown did earlier then by playing an out of position Sparrow again at left back with Lawson at right back.Stan Taylor realised Lawson was a liability there and moved him into midfield.

The anger at the Board tonight end of the game was very evident:The Manager,the rookie Assistant,the paucity of a budget and again the refusal to sign a proven striker-as promised three years ago in January-all lie in this continuing catastrophe.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-leeds-united-submitting-offer-for-exceptional-mcdonald/

Not seen him as much as some of the other u18s, but he looks like an excellent player at that level and it'll be a shame if he never appears for the first team, although there is the caveat that "wonderkid" wingers are tend to get the biggest hype before disappearing. 

40 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Oh well. Play off at best so down we go.  No way is that team capable of beating Falkirk or Airdrie 

You obviously want to get the play-offs to give them a chance of survival, but, like, you say it just feels like that would be prolonging the agony for a wee bit longer. I suppose the 16/17 season might be a decent comparison as we completely bottled the split (four defeats in a row) but a pumping of Dundee gave us a tiny bit of momentum going into the Dundee United play-off. We can't go into the play-offs simply because Cove lose their last two. 

We've lost 3pts from very late goals at home in last 5 days that would've had us level with Arbroath after today's result at Gayfield.

If in Accies' situation you can't see games out to get vital points then you deserve to go down & we will.

Feel we're both limping towards the finishing line. Neither side has got much talent or momentum but 9th will offer a glimmer of hope to hang onto our existence at this level. 

We'll inevitably get nothing on Friday night at Dens so down to the last game of the season it goes tied on points. Accies holding the goal difference advantage. If Morton come to Balmoral with no mathematical chance of getting into the playoff spots then that will boost our chances of points. Arbroath will be safe in 8th by the final game too.

I'm worried that Imries Morton will let us down on the final day of the season Morton have been poor against Cove and Arbroath 3 this season. However if that's the case we can't blame anyone but ourselves the 2 games this weekend. Failing to beat Cove at Home a couple weeks ago. Failing to beat 10 Man Arbroath at home a couple weeks ago. Failing to Beat Cove in 4. 1 win in 3 against Arbroath will probably become 1 in 4. Losing 7-0 to Dundee, 5-0 to Morton 4-0/1 to Queens Park. And without Fulton at times we would have a lot more of these scores. We do deserve to be relegated Fact Rankin has lasted the full season just sums up how much the board don't care. Ronnie saying at the start of the season he wasn't scared to make changes what happened to that? All Maitland and Ronnie do is talk and don't get me Started on McGowan. We only look like are going to get worse and worse sadly 

4 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Oh well. Play off at best so down we go.  No way is that team capable of beating Falkirk or Airdrie 

We have just played the sides 2nd,3rd and 4th in this League and with good Game Management, could have yielded seven points.

No way any Seaside League team we would face in the Play Offs  are the same standard as Queens Park,Inverness or Thistle.

My worry isn't The Play Offs, it is actually getting to them as Cove will pick up points.

19 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I'm worried that Imries Morton will let us down on the final day of the season Morton have been poor against Cove and Arbroath 3 this season. 

We've won all three games v Cove so far, albeit with late winners in all of them.