Forfar v Elgin

29 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

Technically it was mate, I know Thomas isn't a dirty player but as he slid in, his foot came up, studs first. Elgin boy made a meal of it right enough, ref got a wee bit conned again, Thomas probably didn't need to make the challenge though.

We shot ourselves in the foot again and TBH I would paly anyone but Aitken up front, if McKinnon gets any strikers in on loan Aitken is done at this club.

Then again, McKinnon will be off as soon as a better offer comes along, all he has to do is get Forfar safe this season and his job id done and he looks golden again

I’ve seen it back. Never a red, foots on the floor

By chance I saw most of the second half of this one. With no Pars game I went out to take some aerial photos of a couple of grounds today while games were going on, and Forfar was one of them. Will admit that I sneaked in an open gate when I was finished to watch the rest of the game!

I missed the sending off by a couple of minutes so no comment on that. It was a good half to watch as a neutral, with both teams trying to win and played at a good pace with a lot of space. Must say I was surprised at Forfar being quite so open while a man short - good for a neutral, but not sure I'd have been happy if my own team went that way.

Forfar's keeper made some good saves with the one low down being a really good stop.

When I see a game as a neutral, I generally think the ref has a better game than when I really care about the result. Same today - obviously I missed the big call with the sending off, but from the 40 mins I saw, he really only got one call wrong when he didn't blow for a foul when Forfar should have had a clear free kick on the edge of the box. I don't think there was much doubt about the penalty call!

Every time I've been to Station Park in the past, I've always stood in the enclosure, which is a good spot to watch football. Today I was on the other side on the terrace behind the dugouts, and enjoyed that even better. The back of that terrace is genuinely one of the best places I've ever watched football from.

In the Scottish Cup game at East End Park a few weeks ago, I thought Forfar were very poor. Different opposition of course, but they definitely looked much better today. I really do hope you can stay up - losing one good ground from the league in Glebe Park was a shame, and to lose Station Park as well would be very sad indeed.

1 hour ago, lwh said:

These people who say 'he should never have made the challenge' are as bad as these officials who quite clearly have never played the game, perfect challenge,  guy gets a knock, play on.

Whilst the match officials ruined the game, our marking for the goal was piss poor.

9 hours ago, lwh said:

Not seen it back lwh so I'll take your word for it. 

8 hours ago, tbsouth said:

These people who say 'he should never have made the challenge' are as bad as these officials who quite clearly have never played the game, perfect challenge,  guy gets a knock, play on.

I didn't say 'he should never have made the challenge', I said he probably didn't need to, sometimes you just need to stand a guy up or show him off, especially so early in the 2nd half. As you have played (I'm assuming by your comment) you know that at the start of the game or second half, it takes a few minutes to get back to the pace of the game so, to my mind it was a poor decision to make the challenge, by a nice lad who, I think we all know, isn't a dirty player

I’ve kept my opinion on yesterday to myself until now as I’ve just watched the highlights. The red card incident, not even a foul, woefully rash reaction to the girly scream from Dingwall. Some have alluded to an opinion that the challenge didn’t need to be made, since there was nothing wrong with the challenge then that opinion is irrelevant but if we’re talking about challenges not needing to be made then McCallum’s that gave them a penalty falls into that category. The ref called it right and big Marc was fortunate to escape a card, also the Lino called it spot on for the retake as our keeper had two steps off his line before the ball was struck. Near the end their keeper wipes out Matty and doesn’t get anything on the ball. Poor defending for the goal, a free header though have to say their scorer took it very well. We played well and should have taken something from the game but despite poor luck with refereeing decisions we continue to look like a decent team under McKinnon, we were certainly as good as Elgin with 10 men and better than them with 11 and that was with Darren, Slates and Flanny all missing. We’re not out of the woods yet but we’re heading in the right direction 

1 hour ago, theSilverFox said:

I’ve kept my opinion on yesterday to myself until now as I’ve just watched the highlights. The red card incident, not even a foul, woefully rash reaction to the girly scream from Dingwall. Some have alluded to an opinion that the challenge didn’t need to be made, since there was nothing wrong with the challenge then that opinion is irrelevant but if we’re talking about challenges not needing to be made then McCallum’s that gave them a penalty falls into that category. The ref called it right and big Marc was fortunate to escape a card, also the Lino called it spot on for the retake as our keeper had two steps off his line before the ball was struck. Near the end their keeper wipes out Matty and doesn’t get anything on the ball. Poor defending for the goal, a free header though have to say their scorer took it very well. We played well and should have taken something from the game but despite poor luck with refereeing decisions we continue to look like a decent team under McKinnon, we were certainly as good as Elgin with 10 men and better than them with 11 and that was with Darren, Slates and Flanny all missing. We’re not out of the woods yet but we’re heading in the right direction 

I'd agree with most of that except the first part. Without any fancy software to manipulate the video, it looks like Thomas contacts the ball then follows through on to the top of Dingwall's foot. Yellow at best but not a red. Was probably Dingwall I heard shouting at the ref for a red for Marc after the pen, unsportsmanlike, should of had yellow himself.

I think Matty has got a reputation of going down too easy and some have been comical tbh, so I think he has to pick his times to go down better and also scream like a girl more. Dingwall can give him lessons

looks as though his back foot is on or at least hovering over the line, woeful decision. Having slowed it down it’s maybe a foul and a yellow in todays game, absolutely not a red though.

D579FDB4-D5D4-41CF-B035-40B9F1C96476.jpeg

That's never a red card, never even a foul, he's won the ball clear as day and doesn't appear to be going over the top, maybe he's caught him with his trailing leg but not sure what he's supposed to do. The ball was there to be won, I'd be disappointed if he never went for it.

Some leap and header for the guy for the goal. See a few comments about us still going for it and it biting us in the arse. That might have been the case yesterday, but it's refreshing to hear we were still going for it after our constantly cautious, safety first approach of the previous two managers.

Despite the loss I'm confident we'll be safe, don't think we have the goals in us to threaten top 4, but if we can get a striker in you never know, very little between the teams in this league

Agree with all the above. No way there's a foul there, a red card is bonkers. Also thought it was great to see McKinnon gambling and still having a go, so we lost out on a point, we could easily have gotten three. What a difference having a manager I can get properly behind.

Hopefully Slater and Flanagan are back Saturday.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

14 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

Good to see the club are appealing the red card, they should successful but it’s the SFA so I’m not holding my breathe…..

It is good for them to appeal, but as you said it's the SFA. I don't think they'll overturn it. Hopefully I'm wrong.