🌤 Dundee v Dunfermline (take 3)🌤

The Master

Fully expect Dunfermline to win this. They're comfy at the top of their league, we're trying to not completely lose grip on teams in ours. Also literally nobody cares, and I'll be at work anyway so probably will find out the score after the fact.

Has Sam Fisher impressed for you guys at CB? I can see he's starting a lot which is great, but what do the fans think?

Also, McPake, how's he doing? Seems to be the right type of manager for the club at the right time, will be curious to see how he goes about the Championship with you guys. I have no doubt he'll get the win over the bloated, disjointed squad he has left us with, as we never get to get it up any old face.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Fisher has being doing well,  to be part of a defense that has conceded so little is good going.  He looks capable for championship.

Mcpake has been ideal, the perfect tonic to the shit show we experienced last year. 

As for the game, I can’t be arsed with this cup but It’ll be interesting how we line up in defense for this tho with fisher out and whilst Breen is just meant to have missed yesterday with illness I’m not sure he’d be fit enough to play on Tuesday.  Means we only would have 1 senior center back available.  

Good test for us and I reckon McPake will seriously want to get a win over his old club. 

Although it's the diddy cup, would love to see us continue our momentum and bag a win, as long as we don't pick up any injuries.

Likely see KRH come back in along with Mochrie? 

McPake has been the ideal fit for us and much of the credit has to go to Dave MacKay. McPake often talks about all the homework he does on teams. Most amusing of all was our 1-0 win at Falkirk. MacKay had highlighted how shite they were defending corners and McPake said the plan was to just let Falkirk have the ball for the whole game as he knew they couldn’t play through us. McGlynn was literally on the verge of tears after the game. 

We’ve seen some more flowing goals in recent times but I think you’d still characterise us as fit, organised and horrible to play against. 

21 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

McPake has been the ideal fit for us and much of the credit has to go to Dave MacKay. McPake often talks about all the homework he does on teams. Most amusing of all was our 1-0 win at Falkirk. MacKay had highlighted how shite they were defending corners and McPake said the plan was to just let Falkirk have the ball for the whole game as he knew they couldn’t play through us. McGlynn was literally on the verge of tears after the game. 

We’ve seen some more flowing goals in recent times but I think you’d still characterise us as fit, organised and horrible to play against. 

This is an eye-opener, because for the most part McPake's Dundee sides were the complete opposite. It invariably took him until Jan/Feb each season to find a settled side and a formation and approach that actually worked for the players at his disposal, which you can understand with a manager in his first season at a new club, but not in his 2nd and 3rd season and especially so when he was a coach and player at the same club before being handed the managerial role.

I hope McPake does have a decent career in management, but from a purely Dundee FC perspective his approach as our manager was confusing and contradictory. From a fan point of view I constantly felt like he got far less out of the team than it was capable of and he seemed to be blind to certain problem areas, preferring to overload the squad in one area while leaving it desperately thin in several others, all the while chopping and changing the line-up and formation every single game.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

This is an eye-opener, because for the most part McPake's Dundee sides were the complete opposite. It invariably took him until Jan/Feb each season to find a settled side and a formation and approach that actually worked for the players at his disposal, which you can understand with a manager in his first season at a new club, but not in his 2nd and 3rd season and especially so when he was a coach and player at the same club before being handed the managerial role.

I hope McPake does have a decent career in management, but from a purely Dundee FC perspective his approach as our manager was confusing and contradictory. From a fan point of view I constantly felt like he got far less out of the team than it was capable of and he seemed to be blind to certain problem areas, preferring to overload the squad in one area while leaving it desperately thin in several others, all the while chopping and changing the line-up and formation every single game.

He has had the luxury of not having to worry about styles of play and entertainment. He and the new CEO were very clear that his job was to simply get us back to winning more games than we lose and McPake admitted recently he was worried how the crowd would take to this. 

He does chop and change but one defeat in eighteen tells the story of how his changes usually work. 

On 08/01/2023 at 01:47, RossBFaeDundee said:

Has Sam Fisher impressed for you guys at CB? I can see he's starting a lot which is great, but what do the fans think?

Completely strolling it tbh. Not sure how you're fixed for centre halves but I wouldn't be surprised if he was recalled as he could definitely do a turn in the championship. I hope this doesn't happen though and you decide he's better getting more games under his belt alongside League 1 Player of the Year elect Kyle Benedictus.

Agree with what others have said about McPake. Maybe just a case of right person, right time as he's done exactly what was needed after last season. Comes across as a bit of a grump though.

Rain hasn't been heavy here all day. Been mostly light and it hasn't been on all day.

Ah well, nothing to be done about it although you would have hoped it was called off earlier to avoid fans making an unnecessary trip.

Edited by DA Baracus