Dumbarton vs Elgin City

An absolute joke of a performance. Defending for both goals was unacceptable. I'd need to see the penalty back - not convinced that it was, but there's no excuse for not putting that ball into somebody's back garden. We looked poor defensively all game and won little in midfield. Clueless up font. Russell McLean wasn't good enough, although after the 3rd or 4th head knock it was clear he wasn't going to contribute. Referee let Elgin away with continually making contact with McLean's head. The Finlay Gray booking was a joke and whilst Lynas trying to steal yards after being warned not to was annoying, the stand side linesman let Elgin away with the same thing all game.

Not blaming the officials for that today. They were shite. We were far worse. We couldn't score in the Reeperbahn right now. I'm expecting Farrell to react by dropping Carswell for Tuesday and starting Grant. It's difficult to see how he actually changes things right now after what has become a pretty poor and very worrying run of performances. I dont think we've played well since Christmas Eve. Relying on a tight defence is fine, so long as you don't start shipping poor goals. The defending for both Elgin goals today was comical. And when we don't score many, thats only going to put us under a massive amount of pressure.

We looked more a relegation fighting team than a promotion chasing one today. We have done for some time now.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The meltdown by some random fucknut on Twitter in the club's f/t tweet is the highlight of an otherwise shite afternoon.

Still not as bad as the usual 3 or 4 suspects starting threads on the Facebook group. Just waiting for the head honcho of wallopers to make his contribution. 

The only shock here is that anyone is shocked.  It has been obvious for a considerable time that the results have been way more impressive than the performances, and today was a very cold bucket of water indeed.

Sure we can rage about the defending at both Elgin goals, and the second was probably even more farcical than Sam Ramsbottom's famous effort, but City absolutely deserved their victory - Kane Hester and their numbers 7 & 10 ran our defence ragged at times.  And our one-dimensional long ball efforts played right into a big, competent back line.

As a team we played hardly a scrap of football today, and anyone who thought that a run of home matches will be a bonus might need to have a rethink, especially on that playing surface.  But to use the park as the main reason for us struggling would be dishonest.  An Elgin side cuffed on Tuesday at Coatbridge looked sharper, more committed and better organised in every position, and that is concerning.

Cue incoming from the 'top of the league' brigade but well done Elgin on your win.

I’ve been saying for a few weeks now that we are due an absolute doing off someone and we are extremely lucky that today wasn’t that day. We really couldn’t have complained if Elgin stuck 6 past us today. 

When I saw the starting 11 I was quite optimistic, when I saw that Wallace was playing as high up the park as McLean I knew we weren’t getting a result. I’m not entirely sure why Farrell didn’t just keep the same shape and play Wallace deeper, we were completely overrun in midfield from the first minute until the last. Maybe all of those old duffers on Facebook will now realise that this isn’t the 70s and playing two upfront doesn’t automatically lead to a glut of chances because we created the square root of f**k all today.

Far too many of our players look completely out of sorts at the minute and if I’m being honest I thought Finlay Gray looked like a Sunday league player today. Orsi hasn’t kicked his own arse for what feels like months now, the entire back 4 look to be developing some very bad habits - particularly the lad Lynas who I thought had an absolute shocker. Big McNiff didn’t look like he had fully shaken off the knock that forced him off last week. An absolute disasterclass from the manager and the players and if we have any hopes of winning this league or the playoffs things have to be far, far better.

Fair play to Elgin, Kane Hester should be nowhere near this level and if it wasn’t for his off the park stuff I’m convinced he’d be coping just fine in the Championship.

Shocking ,embarrassing and not acceptable. This has been on the cards for weeks now. I go to all home and away games and we're dropping points that should never happen. Where's the hunger and passion gone. Long balls aren't the answer. And yes the playing surface is bad but didn't seem to effect Elgin. We need to get back to winning or its no better than last year. Promotion is a must or heads must roll

Utter disaster from first minute to last. I said to my mate about 10 minutes I tears it wasn't our day and something was missing. We were the architects of our own downfall at both goals, and could (perhaps should) have conceded more. Hester had Carswell on toast for the 60 minutes Carswell lasted, McNiff was all over the place, Buchanan and Long got in a fankle several times and Lynas was shit. Midfield non existent. Russell McLean was rotten. Every pass we made all game was to an Elgin player. Elgin weren't great, but if you keep passing the ball to the opposition, standing off them, letting them run by you, not tracking runs and not showing an option for your teammates then you're going to lose. Felt Elgin players went down constantly from first minute to last, plus time wasted, and both the ref and stand side lino were poor BUT neither the poor officials or Elgin gamesmanship had an effect on the outcome, that was purely down to us being abject.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Maybe all of those old duffers on Facebook will now realise that this isn’t the 70s and playing two upfront doesn’t automatically lead to a glut of chances because we created the square root of f**k all today.

It’s comforting to know it’s not just our Facebook page that’s got a moronic element who only come to life when the team isn’t playing well. 

7 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Utter disaster from first minute to last. I said to my mate about 10 minutes I tears it wasn't our day and something was missing. We were the architects of our own downfall at both goals, and could (perhaps should) have conceded more. Hester had Carswell on toast for the 60 minutes Carswell lasted, McNiff was all over the place, Buchanan and Long got in a fankle several times and Lynas was shit. Midfield non existent. Russell McLean was rotten. Every pass we made all game was to an Elgin player. Elgin weren't great, but if you keep passing the ball to the opposition, standing off them, letting them run by you, not tracking runs and not showing an option for your teammates then you're going to lose. Felt Elgin players went down constantly from first minute to last, plus time wasted, and both the ref and stand side lino were poor BUT neither the poor officials or Elgin gamesmanship had an effect on the outcome, that was purely down to us being abject.

Agree with all that. Though, I thought McNiff was probably one of our better players today. Not that that’s saying much.