Newspapers

Newspapers  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Newspaper-related: the Dilbert comic strip is apparently about to go tits-up:

Dilbert comic strip dropped by US media over creator's racist tirade - BBC News

"Mr Adams, 65, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed"

More interviews should have this sort of self awareness.

For example:

"Liam Fox could not defend the performance. Mr Fox, 39, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed"

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

Newspaper-related: the Dilbert comic strip is apparently about to go tits-up:

Dilbert comic strip dropped by US media over creator's racist tirade - BBC News

The depressing thing is it took this long, as he’s a history with a number of offensive comments and suggestions. He does love a good double down though as well:

“In a follow-up video on Saturday, Adams attempted to clarify his comments, likening them to former Vice President Mike Pence’s policy of avoiding one-on-one interactions with women, out of fear of what Adams described as “getting me-too’d when maybe you didn’t me-too anybody.””

Going off topic, my favourite comic strip of all time is still Burton Silver's 'Bogor' - a lone Kiwi woodsman living in the bush with additional characters including marijuana-loving hedgehogs and snails. Probably wouldn't get published today but it was exceptional.

As for the OP, None Of The Above, but read Private Eye every fortnight which calls out our awful press on its shortcomings. 

On 24/02/2023 at 11:50, VincentGuerin said:

We'd have a better country if everyone read Private Eye. If you don't read it, you should.

Basically, all the papers are shite.

Private Eye has some good investigative and campaigning stuff in it and on balance is a force for good. 

But it doesn't half have some small c conservative middle england tendencies. The architecture guy is always raging about churches installing disabled toilets or some dilapidated mediocre building getting a glass extension. He fucking hates glass extensions. 

The music guy gets sniffy about any music that isn't played in evening wear. 

The press reporting is three pages of gossip about which reporter got pished and called their editor a c**t. 

Fair play for expanding the "from our correspondent" section though. Needs more of that. 

On 26/02/2023 at 12:00, Cosmic Joe said:

Viz magazine is still on the go

Now that's essential reading. Admittedly rarely buy it nowadays but when i do, even though it's mostly shite, it always has at least one bit that makes me piss myself laughing. 

On 20/02/2023 at 22:26, welshbairn said:

I get local papers delivered and get national and international news online. Pretty sure that the Press and Journal sells more than the Scotsman and Herald combined.

On 20/02/2023 at 22:30, Rugster said:

It does. About 25k a day P& J and about 20k combined Herald and Scotsman. 

Which, given the utter shite in the P&J, speaks depressing volumes about the backward and reactionary character of a great many in that region.

ETA - that's not to say The Herald or Scotsman are good. The Herald has been shit for about 15 years and The Scotsman has been shit since about 1990.

Edited by milton75

On 20/02/2023 at 15:01, The Other Foot said:

Which newspapers do you read? 

I used to buy the Guardian and Observer when I was younger but think the supplements have gone downhill (apart from the New Review, which is still worth a read). Now I only buy the FT weekend and it takes the whole week to read - excellent reporting, fairly centrist and phenomenal supplements. 

You can select more than one paper. I've included all UK papers, and one option for red-tops/Daily Mail as maximum allowed in a poll is 12. The Scotsman is clearly a tabloid these days, so should be filed under the penultimate option. 

Terrible poll, should have to serve a ban for the options.  

58 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Private Eye has some good investigative and campaigning stuff in it and on balance is a force for good. 

But it doesn't half have some small c conservative middle england tendencies. The architecture guy is always raging about churches installing disabled toilets or some dilapidated mediocre building getting a glass extension. He fucking hates glass extensions. 

The press reporting is three pages of gossip about which reporter got pished and called their editor a c**t. 

Fair play for expanding the "from our correspondent" section though. Needs more of that. 

Now that's essential reading. Admittedly rarely buy it nowadays but when i do, even though it's mostly shite, it always has at least one bit that makes me piss myself laughing. 

Yeah I think the Eye is quite grating as well, some good investigative work but really petty insider gossipy stuff in the main.l when I've bought it recently.

59 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't know if PE have changed their stance recently, but until at least a few months ago, they were very much on Rowling's side regarding her transphobia.

Shades of when the very same esteemed organ used to have it in for the gays and took the side of the nutters who reckoned MMR jabs were giving kids autism.

I still have a subscription, but I've noticed recently that the previous copy is often still in it's cellophane by the time the next issue arrived.

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah I think the Eye is quite grating as well, some good investigative work but really petty insider gossipy stuff in the main.l when I've bought it recently.

I always found the Street of Shame stuff terribley cliquey and of very little relevance to the general public.

But I suppose a lot of their sources are/were journalists and that sort of stuff kept them happy.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Listing only one local paper and it being a Glasgow one couldn’t be more appropriate for a Scottish football forum tbh.

But it's not a local paper. It's a national paper. I wouldn't dream of reading a local paper, never mind a Weegie one.