The Christian Theology Education Thread

coprolite

Most of the commandments are merely common sense.

Try to love each other

Dinnae kill each other

Avoid shagging your Pal's missus

Dinnae shoplift

It's not too difficult..

Edited by Cosmic Joe

Just now, Cosmic Joe said:

Most of the commandments are merely common sense.

Try to love each other

Dinnae kill each other

Avoid shagging your Paul's missus

Dinnae shoplift

It's not too difficult..

Common sense isn't so common m8.

I forgot to mention culture, its absolutely embedded in our culture, arts, music our language. There is influence from Pre Christians, Romans and the Viking religions in our daily lives. The days of the week apart from Sunday and Monday are named after nordic gods, for example.

Its a massive subject to cover how much religion interacts with our lives and we don't think about it. Islam is relatively new to Northern Europe,  I'm sure we will cherry pick and incorperate the parts that suit us into our daily lives in the future.

Religions around the world have a lot in common in the way they influence the day to day lives of people.

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What makes it outdated though? Is it because Jesus was here over 2000 years ago or is it more because we have had generations of secular thinking now. Also, science and Christian beliefs are not anything like as far apart as you seem to think/cling to.

Science is based on empirical evidence religious beliefs are based on ‘faith’.  That’s about as far apart as you can get.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Science is based on empirical evidence religious beliefs are based on ‘faith’.  That’s about as far apart as you can get.

Let's be honest though. You have read about what has happened scientifically and believed it so essentially you have "faith" in what you have read or are told.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Let's be honest though. You have read about what has happened scientifically and believed it so essentially you have "faith" in what you have read or are told.

You should become a script writer for Donald Trump.  That’s the sort of illogical shit he spouts.

I wish it were true though because if it were I wouldn’t have any faith in gravity and therefore just be able float about all day.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

You should become a script writer for Donald Trump.  That’s the sort of illogical shit he spouts.

I wish it were true though because if it were I wouldn’t have any faith in gravity and therefore just be able float about all day.

I was obviously talking about the deeper scientific discoveries. What I mean is science explains how the world works, which is a God given gift. It's not in contradiction to creation. 

Just now, jimbaxters said:

I was obviously talking about the deeper scientific discoveries. What I mean is science explains how the world works, which is a God given gift. It's not in contradiction to creation. 

It’s not a ‘god given gift’ it’s people who have made scientific discoveries, often wholly discouraged by the church.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s not a ‘god given gift’ it’s people who have made scientific discoveries, often wholly discouraged by the church.

As you would expect, I disagree. Science allows us to understand how the world works but there will always be too much to fully understand. There are plenty of scientists who have faith in a higher being. Also, "the church" is way too nebulous a term to use. Maybe "some Christian/religious people" would be better and more representative. 

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

God isn't real. None of them are. None of them have ever existed.

46 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You're going to think I'm at it here but you should try reading the Bible with an open mind.

😅

The Bible is utter f**king garbage. It's not even original garbage.

If it was submitted as a piece of academic work it would be flagged numerous times for blatant plagiarism.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

😅

The Bible is utter f**king garbage. It's not even original garbage.

If it was submitted as a piece of academic work it would be flagged numerous for blatant plagiarism.

But what are you basing that on?

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Which ones, specifically? Outside of a few Christian-specific laws against blasphemy, for instance, can you point to any laws and values that we only get in Christian societies, as opposed to Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or various flavours of ancient pagan ones?

Just because we happen to have been in a Christian society for the last couple of millennia doesn't mean that codes of laws (a decidedly non-Judeo-Christian invention, note) are necessarily Christian. Japan is one of the few countries in the world that weren't invaded by Christian adventurers - Christian interaction with Japan was pretty much limited to Portugal trying to convert Japanese people in the 16th and early 17th century before being given a clip around the ear and sent packing. Yet somehow, it's notion of laws and values isn't completely at odds with ours. A court system and a judiciary and a code of laws not particularly dissimilar to ours.

What's specifically Christian about any of our basic moral values or laws?

Placing the individual at the centre is very Christian compared to oriental systems. 

Turning the other cheek instead of retribution is Christian compared so the other Abrahamic religions. 

None uniquely Christian, but universal morality is very basic. 

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

But what are you basing that on?

All the religions that came before it that it very obviously ripped off.

It's a religion that picked bits of existing ones to try and centralise power by killing them all off.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

All the religions that came before it that it very obviously ripped off.

It's a religion that picked bits of existing ones to try and centralise power by killing them all off.

What I mean is, have you read the Bible? 

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What I mean is, have you read the Bible? 

Parts of it. A punishingly boring and terrible read.

No, I won't be reading all of it, or even any parts of it, ever.