Bowls - any players/members?

++Ammo - Airdrie++

I watched some of the coverage from Northfield over the weekend... now I know Northfield is the 'spiritual home' of bowls in Scotland and has been for a while but surely there's better greens out there than that?

I know I've been away for a while and been playing in a totally different world in the Southern Hemisphere but man that looked like hard work for what were the top players in the country this season.

5 hours ago, KiwiDB said:

I watched some of the coverage from Northfield over the weekend... now I know Northfield is the 'spiritual home' of bowls in Scotland and has been for a while but surely there's better greens out there than that?

I know I've been away for a while and been playing in a totally different world in the Southern Hemisphere but man that looked like hard work for what were the top players in the country this season.

mate, its been a problem for as long as I've been qualifying. 11 second greens at the end of august/beginning of August is shocking tbh, our home green had a game on Sunday and our guys who were in the triples final on Saturday said our own green was about 4 yards faster, and we're a tiny club in Airdrie with a fraction of the budget of Bowls Scotland/Northfield bowling club! Just wait and see the difference when the Bowls England championships kick off in a week or two.  I was down at Leamington Spa a few weeks ago watching my mate play with Scotland and the greens are night and day compared to Ayr!

5 hours ago, KiwiDB said:

And there is 100% better greens, but its the infrastructure to host the tournaments eg. Park and Rides. food tents, enrollment office etc.  The only other place capable of hosting it would be Kelvingrove, and they greens are worse than Northfield!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2024 at 19:43, AllanJM said:

My club won the Stirlingshire West Top 10 today.  Won all 4 ties in a great performance.  Play against The Stirlingshire East winners (Laurieston) at Stenhousemuir in 2 weeks to get to represent Stirling County in the inter-county next year.

On 04/08/2024 at 21:39, FK1Bairn said:

Funnily enough, my club won the Stirlingshire East final today for the first time in our history 😂. Was a really close final, I think we edged it by 4 shots from Grangemouth. Hopefully a good final in two weeks 🤞

@AllanJM massive congratulations to the 10 guys from your club today. Convincing 4-0 winners in the Top 10 final amd more to the point also true sportsmen off the green as well. 

Could moan about the green and the amount of "kicks/straight bits" on each rink but it's the same green for both. 

Best of luck to your club whoever they play next.

Edited by FK1Bairn

11 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

@AllanJM massive congratulations to the 10 guys from your club today. Convincing 4-0 winners in the Top 10 final amd more to the point also true sportsmen off the green as well. 

Could moan about the green and the amount of "kicks/straight bits" on each rink but it's the same green for both. 

Well done both on winning your respective districts, no mean feat! We had our Lanarkshire top 10 QF yesterday, played at home to Dalserf, green was really really good yesterday, always a decent sign when every one of the visitors first bowl in the trial ends hits the ditch with a few yards to spare!!!

Semi final next Sunday 2pm.

15 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Cheers mate.  Wasn't playing myself but was there watching (bald guy with the ginger beard).  My brother in law was also skipping the rink.

Really good day and a great win for our guys against good players.  It's the first time we've won it for 23 years.  

The bus journey home (and club when we got back) was a lot of fun.

18 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Cheers mate.  Wasn't playing myself but was there watching (bald guy with the ginger beard).  My brother in law was also skipping the rink.

Really good day and a great win for our guys against good players.  It's the first time we've won it for 23 years.  

The bus journey home (and club when we got back) was a lot of fun.

Mate, thats exactly what I'm hoping for, if we are fortunate enough to win next week and get to the final, it will have been the furthest we've been in the competition, and with 70+ clubs in it, its a good one to win! lets not forget about the prize next year aswell...... a crack at the scottish inter district top 10...... you'll be hoping for an away tie at Argyle or Bon Accord!

8 hours ago, AllanJM said:

I was on the other side stood between the rinks and singles game. 

Was some shot your brother in law played late on when the head was down our end. We were lying 5, he came in the gap trailed the jack and came out of the end with 3 shots! 

8 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Mate, thats exactly what I'm hoping for, if we are fortunate enough to win next week and get to the final, it will have been the furthest we've been in the competition, and with 70+ clubs in it, its a good one to win! lets not forget about the prize next year aswell...... a crack at the scottish inter district top 10...... you'll be hoping for an away tie at Argyle or Bon Accord!

I heard one of the Doune players in the clubhouse afterwards mention wanting an away day to Peterhead! 😅

13 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I heard one of the Doune players in the clubhouse afterwards mention wanting an away day to Peterhead! 😅

100%, and its on a Sunday i'm sure so that would be a wee annual leave day for the Monday!  Thats one thing I love about Scotland as well, I like long weekends away all over the country, and the amount of greens I've had a throw on by just turning up is brilliant, and then sitting getting a blether with whoever is there about bowls in the area, tremendous!!

• 4 weeks later...

Season pretty much over (has been for a few weeks personally) but we still have 'Finals weekend' to go over the final weekend in September. I'm not involved in any but my sisters have the 4 bowl pairs final together and triples with my mum to play. The three of them and my niece were runners up in the ladies rinks as well. 

I haven't played anywhere near as often as I would have liked but the usual work and family commitments obviously had to come first. 

Any personal or family successes for anybody this season? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2024 at 12:54, FK1Bairn said:

Season pretty much over (has been for a few weeks personally) but we still have 'Finals weekend' to go over the final weekend in September. I'm not involved in any but my sisters have the 4 bowl pairs final together and triples with my mum to play. The three of them and my niece were runners up in the ladies rinks as well. 

I haven't played anywhere near as often as I would have liked but the usual work and family commitments obviously had to come first. 

Any personal or family successes for anybody this season? 

Fair f*cks to the wummin in your family, thats good going!!

No personal success for me this year tbf, IMO I was very complacent this year, didn't take it seriously enough, never practiced only played team games and that showed in patchy form.  I know its early bells, but I think next season I'll make a concerted effort to actually practice, maybe get the bounce down targets back out and at least try and get a regular flow going!

No family success, only me that plays now since my old man took not well.  Probably the only thing worth mentioning was my good mate getting selected for Scotland again, went down and watched the home internationals in Leamington Spa, and then he was playing again in the Atlantic Championships at Northfield in August.  Fingers crossed he's back in the frame next year again, as there's some tasty international tournaments, and I think the home internationals might be in Ireland, so i'll plan a wee weekend there!!

Started playing for the first time in at Foxley at the start of the season. Not something I ever thought about but I've really enjoyed it, hoping to enter a few more tournaments next year and also hoping to improve my winning record 😳