Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

A formation is a broad way of speaking about tactics, and whilst there is obviously a difference between having an extra defender, you can still play the same "formation" in games against Spain and Cyprus, but the instruction and roles of each player within that is going to be different. How does a team set up when attacking and defending can be different under the same formation? Even within that, if your team has the ball, the organisation of the team will be different when you're building from the back compared with when you're creating chances. The players also adjust and adapt as things happen within a match, and sticking to a formation just makes you predictable. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen Robertson close to the far right corner flag (and not just for set pieces).

I would say where formations can be valuable is identifying areas where overloads might occur - like a 3v2 or 4v3 in centre of the park, but even then I think this can be looked at simplistically, with people assuming that a 5 at the back or a 1 up front is defensive. It's more complex than that.

It's a matter of yardage says Sean Dyche. I think Daniel Farke called them base formations @Jambomo but to say we won because we played 4-3-3 and we lost because we played 5atb is too simplistic in my opinion and has been for years to be fair.

I think Formations do have a place but maybe as a foundation and at a more basic level but I don't think in modern day football especially at the higher level they are particularly important. 

Formations are nothing more than telephone numbers. Football is fluid so teams have multiple set-ups for different scenarios within games. Only fans and media obsess over this one set of numbers to apparently describe a team's system.

Pep Guardiola

On 04/04/2023 at 13:52, craigkillie said:

Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Ryan Porteous and Aaron Hickey are all more comfortable on the ball than Ryan Jack.

One of those four is not like the others.

Edited by Savage Henry

I thought Carragher's mini analysis of City-Liverpool on MNF last week was quite interesting about formations. He showed how Mahrez managed to pin Robertson due to his high starting position, but Cancelo wasn't able to do so in the October game due to his starting position despite City being in a 3-2-5 in both matches.

1 hour ago, Spectre said:

A formation is a broad way of speaking about tactics, and whilst there is obviously a difference between having an extra defender, you can still play the same "formation" in games against Spain and Cyprus, but the instruction and roles of each player within that is going to be different. How does a team set up when attacking and defending can be different under the same formation? Even within that, if your team has the ball, the organisation of the team will be different when you're building from the back compared with when you're creating chances. The players also adjust and adapt as things happen within a match, and sticking to a formation just makes you predictable. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen Robertson close to the far right corner flag (and not just for set pieces).

I would say where formations can be valuable is identifying areas where overloads might occur - like a 3v2 or 4v3 in centre of the park, but even then I think this can be looked at simplistically, with people assuming that a 5 at the back or a 1 up front is defensive. It's more complex than that.

Indeed, but your first sentence is exactly what im saying. An extra centre back as opposed to an extra midfielder. Is always going to make a massive difference. Yes they will obviously move as and when the game dictates.

Also with the 4 were playing wingers or more inside forwards, as opposed to wing backs. So its a massive difference from playing the back 5. Different players being asked to perform different roles.

Im not saying the back 5 is bad, just that it suits some games more than others.

Clarkes done this and shown a bit of flexibility, which is great. And what I think he's going to have to continue to make the most of the position were in currently.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2023 at 12:57, accies1874 said:

Clarke said after Spain that the formation against Cyprus meant we couldn't press as effectively so he tweaked it slightly against Spain. I'm not sure what the tweak was but it's interesting hearing him talk about his tactics as he tends to be quite reserved and player-focused imo. 

Not a comparison with the Cyprus game but we know that Lyndon Dykes sat on Rodri and to be fair he did that pretty well from what I can see with Rodri being stifled somewhat in the game.

We had that mid-block, personally my role was to block off Rodri in the middle and make sure he doesn't control the game.

Lyndon Dykes

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lyndon-dykes-reveals-rodri-special-29583785

During the first half the stats suggest we let their two centre backs Martinez and in particular David Garcia (who wasn't great on the ball) as well as Kepa have easy possession generally in their own half which meant we often had a spare man at the back which seemed to be Robertson but in reality just changed depending on the situation.

Christie's role seemed involve him targeting Porro and similarly McGinn was covering the right side but not specifically targeting one Spanish player so our midfield was very flat with four and sometime five players if you count Dykes. McTominay had the lowest number of ball pressures of our front five players. The two Spanish #8's Merino and Ceballos regularly dropped into their own half to pick up the ball from deep.

image.png.02b0004b22dce6860ab3e4ce4e5e8789.png

Edited by 2426255