Why do I not have a Scottish accent?

21 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hard to believe whoever posted that clip didn't realise it's supposed to be "we'll aye come back and see ye". A bit exagerated given it's for comedic purposes but not too far off on what happens to some Scottish people's accents in southern Ontario if they are not around other Scottish folk that much. Worth bearing in mind one of the actors involved in that grew up in Montreal. At the end of the day though there's worse things that can happen linguistically in North America than having a Scottish accent:

I’ve got folks in Toronto who’ve been over there for 40+ years and when you speak to my aunt she’s very Canadian for the first few minutes and then drifts back into being more Scottish. Meanwhile my uncle sounds as if he’s never left Wolverhampton - you’d figure of all the accents you wouldn’t mind getting a chance to lose, that’d be up there. 

My aunt was like that as well. Would be doing things like pronouncing mirror as "meer" while receiving a WTF look from me when Canadians were around but after a few minutes would be back to scotto voce when it was only me around and she was telling a story about how she was related to all the other kids in the class when she started the primary school in Bo'ness for what seemed like the umpteenth time. She worked as a telephonist after she emigrated so she had to develop a stereotypical Canadian accent like the guys in the Chewin the Fat skit to make sure she was being understood OK but her natural mode of speech was still pure West Lothian.

My son, d-i-l and grandson moved to Ontario 6 months ago and we're going out to see them in a few weeks.  Their accents have been fine on calls but I'm looking forward to seeing how they sound when they interact with their new neighbours.

Edited by scw1987
Typo

My accent pings about Scotland sometimes depending on what I'm saying and who I'm speaking to (and in what capacity, I.E professional or personal). My wife tells me I sound like a "Glasgow uni type" because I have the audacity to not speak like a weegie scumbag. I sound a bit north eastern when talking to my dad (my wife subconsciously adopts a sort of old fashioned 1950s Dumbarton accent when speaking to her mum), I sound generic neutral West Coast well spoken Scottish mostly life and particularly when speaking to clients, because despite being born impoverished in Clydebank, my mum believed in standards. I sound a bit more stereotypically "weegie" when with mates or in a pub etc. None of which is conscious, it just comes out.  Having lived in Clydebank, Dumbarton, Tain, Milngavie, Bonhill and Jamestown, I have a pretty good knack for picking out the minor differences in accents in otherwise close towns. For example, I can generally tell which side of the county line someone is from in Clydebank, the Glasgow side or the West Dunbartonshire side; Alexandria or Dumbarton etc. Accents in areas definitely change with time. My gran lived in Clydebank for 97 years and didn't sound weegie, she had a traditional Clydebank manner of speaking, though the town nowadays sounds far more glaswegian as the city absorbs it over decades. Likewise younger folks from Dumbarton don't sound too dissimilar to weegie nowadays, but older Dumbarton people have an old Scots, farmery twang. North Eastern accent variations amuse me. My sister moved to Tain aged 16 and was full on "rabber bampers!" within months. The Grampian accents are almost certainly the worst on the ears, or at least in competition with parts of Edinburgh and Fife.

I moved to Inverness in 1988 when I was 3 so didn't have time to have any other accent than Invernessian.

'Fuckeen sound like ehhhhh.'

'No bad your fuckeen selll?'

15 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I moved to Inverness in 1988 when I was 3 so didn't have time to have any other accent than Invernessian.

'Fuckeen sound like ehhhhh.'

'No bad your fuckeen selll?'

Right eeeenufff!