Ryan Porteous

Lyle Lanley

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose at 24 there's still quite a lot of room to improve for Porto, but he already looks like a defender who has everything you need. He never looks like the imminent heads gone in a Scotland shirt that he sometimes did for Hibs. He just seems to have a finesse about him. His reputation maybe somewhat hides that, but he is becoming a really classy defender. Excellent game reading and positioning etc. The cliche about those guys has always been that they aren't the ones doing the crunching tackles and putting their head where it hurts, but he does all of that aswell. 

• 4 weeks later...

Porteous has been in the team/squads consistently for 12 months so thought I'd give my initial thoughts based on the Scotland games in that period. 

His strongest attributes are in the air - he excels there. He's also a good short passer, comfortable playing past the 1st line of pressure. One on one defending he's generally met the standard, but struggles against higher quality opponents and has needed his team-mates to help him from time to time. 

I think he is capable of reaching lower half English Premier League, but would need to improve significantly to go beyond that. In my view he's at a similar general level to his peers such as Souttar, McKenna and Hendry.

Overall heard a lot of crap about him while he was at Hibs so I've been pleasantly surprised.

Edited by 2426255

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Porteous has been in the team/squads consistently for 12 months so thought I'd give my initial thoughts based on the Scotland games in that period. 

His strongest attributes are in the air - he excels there. He's also a good short passer, comfortable playing past the 1st line of pressure. 

One on one defending he's generally met the standard, but struggles against higher quality opponents and has needed his team-mates to help him from time to time. 

I think he is capable of reaching lower half English Premier League, but would need to improve significantly to go beyond that. 

In my view he's at a similar general level to his peers such as Souttar, McKenna and Hendry. Overall heard a lot of crap about him while he was at Hibs so I've been pleasantly surprised.

I largely agree with this, I like his passing ability and particularly noticed his ability against England to step out and zing one into the strikers feet. 

I think he is around the level of those three, though based on the Rangers form of Souttar it seems he is behind the rest. I think Porteous will go on to be the best of that group. Hopefully he is one that Udinese pick up with that partnership!

20 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think he is capable of reaching lower half English Premier League, but would need to improve significantly to go beyond that. 

In my view he's at a similar general level to his peers such as Souttar, McKenna and Hendry.

I would honestly take that and I think, for any Scottish player playing now, that would go down as a successful career if he could establish himself at that level for long enough.

Long term, probably looking for him to be the linchpin at the back for us, thankfully the current Defenders (Handley apart) will be around for the next 2 or 3 campaigns, but Portious should have more in him as he’s still a young lad with 10 or so years in front of him 

Keeping him fresh for next week, good to see.

Watford are a bit of a gang at the moment. Their manager being given a long term contract while they struggle big time was a bit of a shock. Seems like he is at the point of trying anything. Mostly the reaction from the fans pre-match was that it was a bad decision to leave him out however with them getting a decent away result might find himself with a fight to get back in.

• 1 month later...