Ryan Porteous

Lyle Lanley

I'm sure Porteous played more in the middle of the three for Hibs than on the right. I'd opt for Hendry as his Scotland performances have been excellent of late so might be seen as a more reliable option, but Cooper was fine in the games mentioned above and tomorrow might be more similar to them than the ones Hendry played. 

I think it's a straight shootout between Cooper and Hendry - which is the only team selection debate - but Clarke proves me wrong with that on a regular basis. 

Given his last few games, I’d consider him one of the first choice defenders now. I don’t see anyone who deserves to come in ahead of him.

Edited by Jambomo

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Hendry played the Hanley role at home to Israel and Armenia. Cooper played the Hanley role home and away to Denmark, The friendly against the Netherlands and away to Moldova.

I was about to say he did it against Ukraine twice, and Ireland then realised we had switched to a back four in those games. 

I don’t think there is any way it’ll be Porteous in the middle, it’ll be either Hendry or Souttar IMO and if it’s Souttar Hendry will be RCB. I would be happy with either of those options. 

16 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think it's a straight shootout between Cooper and Hendry - which is the only team selection debate - but Clarke proves me wrong with that on a regular basis. 

I tend to agree, the only reason I think Porteous could be considered for the middle centre back is because of how good he is in the air and that he's new to the squad so we haven't seen a pattern.

He was used as the LCB in a 4atb in Ukraine, then RCB in a 3atb in March so maybe he will be the middle of a three in June.

14 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Given his last few games, I’d consider him one of the first choice defenders now. I don’t see anyone who deserves to come in ahead of him.

I wouldn't personally, I think generally he is on the same level with the rest of our centre backs rather than a definite first choice. He is riding the crest of a wave at the moment so I think it's better to give it longer and see how the rest of the campaign unfolds. He has been excellent in recent games but at the end of the day it's only 3 games.

14 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I was about to say he did it against Ukraine twice, and Ireland then realised we had switched to a back four in those games. 

I don’t think there is any way it’ll be Porteous in the middle, it’ll be either Hendry or Souttar IMO and if it’s Souttar Hendry will be RCB. I would be happy with either of those options. 

I'd say John Souttar is the least likely to start in the middle, but you could well be spot on.

Edited by 2426255

50 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I tend to agree, the only reason I think Porteous could be considered for the middle centre back is because of how good he is in the air and that he's new to the squad so we haven't seen a pattern.

He was used as the LCB in a 4atb in Ukraine, then RCB in a 3atb in March so maybe he will be the middle of a three in June.

I wouldn't personally, I think generally he is on the same level with the rest of our centre backs rather than a definite first choice. He is riding the crest of a wave at the moment so I think it's better to give it longer and see how the rest of the campaign unfolds. He has been excellent in recent games but at the end of the day it's only 3 games.

I'd say John Souttar is the least likely to start in the middle, but you could well be spot on.

I actually had it in my head that Souttar played in the middle against Denmark, but I just realised it was Cooper. Scrap what I said - it’ll be Hendry IMO. I don’t think Cooper will start just in terms of his lack of pace compared to the rest. Shoot out between Souttar and Porteous at RCB. 

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It is the Sun; but I wonder where they are getting their tipped back three from. 

I would be amazed if Hendry doesn’t play given how good he was for us before his injury, especially given he was back in the Brugge team at the end of the season. On top of that Cooper is rarely a starter under Clarke too. I’m now fully prepared to be completely wrong thoigh!

37 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It is the Sun; but I wonder where they are getting their tipped back three from. 

Thanks, I hadn't even seen that.

I think there's an element of recency bias in fan opinion classing Liam Cooper as a non-starter, he kind of gets forgotten about -  but from a logic point of view I think it would be fine. If we play Cooper, it would maybe suggest to me we don't plan to leave much space between our goal and the defensive line, attack on the counter and play quick and direct up to Dykes which is how we often have played difficult away games of this nature (Austria, England).

It's never been a stretch to think he might play because he's been overall very good in the middle of the three for Scotland. The Hanley role isn't complicated, traditional defending which Cooper is good at.

That said, it's the kind of decision though that Clarke will get absolute pelters for if we lose and I feel like Liam Cooper already has a mixed reputation with the fanbase given the Czech Republic and Ukraine defeats that will begin to form an unfair narrative if we lose the game so hopefully all goes well should he start.  

Edited by 2426255

47 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Thanks, I hadn't even seen that.

I think there's an element of recency bias in fan opinion classing Liam Cooper as a non-starter, he kind of gets forgotten about -  but from a logic point of view I think it would be fine. If we play Cooper, it would maybe suggest to me we don't plan to leave much space between our goal and the defensive line, attack on the counter and play quick and direct up to Dykes which is how we often have played difficult away games of this nature (Austria, England).

It's never been a stretch to think he might play because he's been overall very good in the middle of the three for Scotland. The Hanley role isn't complicated, traditional defending which Cooper is good at.

That said, it's the kind of decision though that Clarke will get absolute pelters for if we lose and I feel like Liam Cooper already has a mixed reputation with the fanbase given the Czech Republic and Ukraine defeats that will begin to form an unfair narrative if we lose the game so hopefully all goes well should he start.  

I think the good thing is that I trust Clarke with whatever he goes with. Cooper was excellent against Denmark, against a side who didn’t overly look to run in behind. Haaland will, but if we are deeper that obviously negates that. 

Playing against Haaland is a fucking nightmare, I don’t like the thought of sitting deep as he is so clinical with half chances around the box but he has so much pace if we push high up. That was my thinking with Hendry as he can battle physically but has pace too. 

Tough night for all our centre-backs. I think overall you have to say they did well enough given what they were up against even if there were a few ropy moments. It can't be easy to deal with Haaland in 32° heat.

Only Scotland could go to Oslo and complain about the heat(!)

Magnificent result and this team under Clarke really has something about them now. Late goals and never throwing in the towel signifies a belief I haven't seen in the Scottish national team since... forever.

Edited by IggyStooge

Thought they all did well tbh. I thought the pen was soft at the time but I haven’t seen a replay of it so can’t see what he did to give it away. The He fry booking was fair but Tierney’s was a joke. 

Odd story to run the morning after the night before, but I kind of liked it anyway.

I had a conversation with Scott McTominay last Tuesday and he said: ‘I was speaking to Elton John and he was asking for you’. That’s a sentence I never thought I would hear! I actually had a second look at Scott and said: ‘You’re winding me up, eh?’. I think he had been to one of Elton’s concerts. Scott is a big Elton John fan, but I’ve not met him yet.

I’ll blag some free tickets next time he’s in town. Elton is a massive Watford fan and owned the club for a few years. There are a lot of pictures of him plastered all over the stadium, he has done a lot for Watford. He comes to the games quite regularly and watches all of them, he must do if he knows who I am. I didn’t think Elton John would ever know me. I love him, and my mum and dad are big fans. He did a big concert at Easter Road a while back and they were both there. Hopefully I can take my mum to see him again. It would be great to introduce them, although my mum would probably pass out!

There is a big opportunity for Watford. This year the season kind of ran away from us. We were always just that one game away, thinking if we win the next one we are in the play-off spots, but it’s a tough league. We were doing well against the so-called bigger teams, but against the sides fighting for their lives at the bottom we struggled to either see games out or pick up results. With the teams coming up and down it’s going to be a monster league next season, but there are opportunities for any team to get promoted. You saw that with Luton and even Coventry, sneaking into the play-offs. Anybody can go up. It’s a long season but if you finish strong there are opportunities to play in the Premier League.

From my first camp four or five years ago, I can see a difference. The mood, confidence and belief has been getting better with every Scotland camp and that is probably down to the manager, he doesn’t take that credit but he should. The difference from when he came in to now, it’s the polar opposite. The team is only getting better. We have put ourselves in a very good position in this group, but two games doesn’t get you anything. There is still a very long way to go. Every Scotland fan and player knows that we need to take it game-by-game. Growing up as a Hibs fan definitely taught me that! You hope you can keep the performance levels up and hopefully the results take care of themselves. 

You saw in the Cyprus game that a packed Hampden can make you nervous, but it can also push you through. Even when our performance levels weren’t too high for 80 minutes the fans stayed with us and helped us through. This whole group is trying to change the mentality in terms of the pressure side of things. If the fans aren’t there you can fall asleep a little bit more on the pitch, but you have a lot of people relying on you to do well for the nation and that helps, naturally. It has been bright for the last few years and it is a brilliant group to come into. A few young lads trained with us at the camp in Spain and if you asked them all they would say everyone welcomed them.

Ryan Porteous

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10837389/elton-john-ryan-porteous-knows-my-name-scotland/

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Tough night for all our centre-backs. I think overall you have to say they did well enough given what they were up against even if there were a few ropy moments. It can't be easy to deal with Haaland in 32° heat.

They definitely struggled but they were up against the best striker in the world. They'll be fine on Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...