A View From The Terrace - Episode 16

Following a historic week for the Scotland National Team, A View From The Terrace returns to chat all about our nation's outstanding victories over Cyprus and Spain. We'll be jumping on the Hype Train to talk up the exciting young prospects that have stood out in recent weeks and have Football Agent John Viola in the studio to share stories from his thirty two years in the game.

Don't Quote Me On That sees the panel guess the Social Media Content from a reply it's received, and we'll be discussing some of hottest topics from Scottish Football from fan submissions. As ever we'll close with predictions on the weekend's games in The Banker.

Our wee films will look at the controversial merger between Caledonian and Inverness Thistle and The Aberdonians who have been behind one of Scotland's most successful Youth Development Clubs. We'll also be paying tribute to Hearts Legend Marius Zaliukas. 

DSCF7078.jpg

Had to mute it during the John Viola bit, fk me, a wee 'character' with all the banter. Desperate stuff.

The show has a lot going for it, but you lads don't half pull your punches sometimes. Great chat about the Scotland games, but missed an opportunity to emphasise how the games were hidden behind a paywall.

The wee films often raise important, serious issues but the studio segments never reference them (I appreciate editing is a factor).

You have a cracking opportunity to speak for Scottish football fans, to be something cerebral and different, please don't squander it on banter and lolz.

Ach, on balance I'm pro-AVFTT, but...

(Also, more Thewlis please!)

On 31/03/2023 at 23:21, FozzysFence said:

Had to mute it during the John Viola bit, fk me, a wee 'character' with all the banter. Desperate stuff.

The show has a lot going for it, but you lads don't half pull your punches sometimes. Great chat about the Scotland games, but missed an opportunity to emphasise how the games were hidden behind a paywall.

The wee films often raise important, serious issues but the studio segments never reference them (I appreciate editing is a factor).

You have a cracking opportunity to speak for Scottish football fans, to be something cerebral and different, please don't squander it on banter and lolz.

Ach, on balance I'm pro-AVFTT, but...

(Also, more Thewlis please!)

I have actually written to my Local MP about the Scotland Games issue because I feel so strongly about. I know am going off topic with this but it angers me how England Games are free to air but ours are not?

It is clear the SFA are only interested in the money so it is pointless asking them to champion this.

For me, the Government and respective devolved administrations should make the following sporting events as a legal requirement to be free to air for all:

World Cup

Euros

Olympics

Wimbledon

6 Nations and World Cup

World Cup and Euro Qualifiers for ALL home Nations.

The Grand National

PPV TV is getting worse and irrespective of a cost of living crisis we need to say enough is enough and push for change.

On 31/03/2023 at 23:21, FozzysFence said:

Great chat about the Scotland games, but missed an opportunity to emphasise how the games were hidden behind a paywall.

Aye, Welsh games on S4C as well as Viaplay, why not BBC Alba? I realise UEFA have much to do with the contracts, but did BBC even ask?

Edited by welshbairn

20 hours ago, troopio said:

I have actually written to my Local MP about the Scotland Games issue because I feel so strongly about. I know am going off topic with this but it angers me how England Games are free to air but ours are not?

It is clear the SFA are only interested in the money so it is pointless asking them to champion this.

But its not the SFA who sell the games, its UEFA as part of the centralised Media rights that all 55 members have signed up to. 

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, Welsh games on S4C as well as Viaplay, why not BBC Alba? I realise UEFA have much to do with the contracts, but did BBC even ask?

Its UEFA's games to sell 100% but if S4C can pay a fee then Alba could as well.

S4C won't be getting games from next year as viaplay have said they will provide a Welsh language option.

S4C also have about 5 times the budget of BBC Alba.

I'm also not even sure BBC Alba could push the issue and demand a Gaelic option as Gaelic broadcasting doesn't have the same legislative footing as Welsh. 

It would probably need to be on the same basis as the C4 deal with England ie just paying for it in which case you would be as well putting it on BBC Scotland 

I have some sympathy with the SFA here. They have to maximise revenue from a limited number of commercial opportunities.

I think the BBC are getting off lightly with their relative investment in football throughout the UK.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think the BBC are getting off lightly with their relative investment in football throughout the UK.

I remember something from a few years back when the bbc were tendering for the highlights on MOTD for the next 3 years. A figure of £800m rings a bell. They admitted that they had bid on ‘commercial’ terms rather than ‘community interest’ or whatever. In other words, they had stopped pretending to serve all of us.
In addition to that, they were ordered by Ofcom to source 9% of their programming from Scotland as it was only 3% at the time. One of their ways of remedying this was, bizarrely, to relocate the soap Waterloo Road to Scotland 😂
They had reached 6% a while back but not sure how much it is now.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I have some sympathy with the SFA here. They have to maximise revenue from a limited number of commercial opportunities.

How many times does it need repeated? The sale of broadcast rights or European Championship qualifiers is centralised by UEFA and has absolutely nothing to do with the SFA.

The issue here the free to air broadcasters have not seen enough value in paying for Scotland games compared to Viaplay. It's really that simple. If you think they should be free to air then petition the BBC or ITV to pay for them. I imagine they'll say they can't afford it though.

As others have said Uefa well it to the highest bidder. It's then PROBABLY up to the right owner viaplay whether they sell access it onto another provider for one off games on BBC etc. 

STV issue financially is they're only able to bid for games using their STV budget where as ITV has a national broadcasting budget to spend which I presume is much larger than the STV's. STV can't afford what viaplay have paid.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How many times does it need repeated? The sale of broadcast rights or European Championship qualifiers is centralised by UEFA and has absolutely nothing to do with the SFA.

The issue here the free to air broadcasters have not seen enough value in paying for Scotland games compared to Viaplay. It's really that simple. If you think they should be free to air then petition the BBC or ITV to pay for them. I imagine they'll say they can't afford it though.

I'm well aware of that. 

The point is that they are completely disincentivised from negotiating with the rights holder to work on negotiating free to air options,like they do in plenty other countries.

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm well aware of that. 

The point is that they are completely disincentivised from negotiating with the rights holder to work on negotiating free to air options,like they do in plenty other countries.

If you were aware of it and that's your point it may have been an idea to say that instead of posting something about the SFA maximising revenue from commercial opportunities.

I'm really not convinced it's the SFA's responsibility to go to bat on this anyway. People should be campaigning with the tv companies not with the SFA (or their MP's) who are both powerless to affect it in reality.

We're in the slightly difficult position as a country not to have big enough public tv channel funding but having a product that is genuinely marketable. England games are going to get picked up by free to air tv stations potentially because of the vast funding they have (it is slightly surprising Channel 4 now have them though). Northern Ireland games aren't valuable enough for the PPV channels to be bothered about. Wales traditionally haven't been either though their last few years have been the best in their history. S4C also have much bigger funding.

Personally I'm more irritated that Viaplay (Premier) outbid Sky for it meaning an additional sub was needed.

Liked the recent stuff especially Craig being pilloried for going against his own team.

Fascinated by the wee clip showing Airdrie at Broomfield against Hibs, presumably on Scotsport, and wonder when it was played.

Pat Stanton was a top quality player. 

The section on Bathgate Thistle "veteran" was entertaining.

All that and the toxic prediction about Hearts!

Was surprised on Friday 14th of April show that they finally got round to mentioning the brilliant Succession and the clip about Logan Roy’s kids buying him Hearts instead of Hibs.

Thing is, they missed S4 E1 when View From The Terrace was actually mentioned by name by Shiv. Yeah, it’s a wee play on words, but it’s there.