Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland

Biscuits

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Excellent series, as was Once Upon A Time In Iraq.

...and just remembered "The House of Paisley", also on the iPlayer and also well worth watching if you have an interest in this area (as you probably do, if you're browsing this thread).

21 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

...and just remembered "The House of Paisley", also on the iPlayer and also well worth watching if you have an interest in this area (as you probably do, if you're browsing this thread).

I actually fell for this.......

I watched the final three episodes over the last few days. It is an excellent piece of TV, no doubt. There are many admirable and interesting contributions from both 'sides', but the story at the end of the final episode about the guy being blinded by a soldier as a child and making a point of becoming friends with him was remarkable. I don't think I would have had the strength to pursue that, especially given the position the soldier was still occupying.

On 24/05/2023 at 18:53, Torpar said:

I've found the majority of people from there, from both "sides" just don't care about it, it's only big Terry from Slough or John from Stoke, who have never left England, that have to point out "It's LONDONderry pal, simple as!"

Edited to add, Say Nothing is a great book. I've also read Henry McDonald's books on the INLA, UVF and UDA, all good reads. Planning to order A Broad Church 2 by Gearóid Ó Faoleán too

Maybe I've been unlucky but I've met a few from both sides that cared what it was called. 

On 30/05/2023 at 19:24, Torpar said:

Finished this last night, good watch and a lot of stuff I've never seen before, biggest bellend was unsurprisingly the English solider, closely followed by the ex-UDR woman's daughter.

As for Ricky's (former 'RA man) wife, I can see where she was coming from when she was raging at him, can't imagine being effectively a single mother, getting one visit a month, and all your husband wants to talk about is "the cause". If there is any woman on there I wouldn't mess with, it's the fire bomber that was jailed when her ex "touted" on her. 

What did the soldier do that made him come across as such a Bellend? His older interviews were bad but he acknowledged that. 

On 28/05/2023 at 23:34, Flybhoy said:

She is proper off her rocker, bet the five years in the tin pale flew in knowing he was getting peace from her.  🤣

Whilst acknowledging you are going for a humourous take, I wish that there were more that had the determination of Bernadette O'Rawe and fewer like her easily led husband. 

• 2 months later...
On 23/05/2023 at 19:21, Biscuits said:

Outstanding television.

As someone with a massive interest in the “Troubles” I’ve read loads of books and watched loads of documentaries but this was easily the best.

Quality interviews, loads of previously unseen footage and remarkable and heartbreaking stories.  Binged the whole 5 hours today.

Highly recommended if you have an interest. 

Thanks for posting this. Only just heard of it this morning and binged the entire series today. Excellent TV. Full of, eh, characters.

Really enjoyed it.

It showed both sides with out 'both-siding' the issue if you know what I mean. Didn't really get too bogged down on the arguments, was just like 'here are a load of families whose lives were devastated one way or another.' Very sobering

Patrick Kielty came off really well, I had no idea of his history