Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 minute ago, immcinto said:

They won the game with the last kick that's why they were celebrating. They were only in a slightly better position than we would have been with the draw. 

Before the Switzerland game is was broadly accepted that if we lost then our only chance was to batter Hungary. 

That's just demonstrably false. If we'd drawn, we'd have needed all of these results to come in to qualify:

1. Spain beat Albania
  2. Italy beat Croatia
  3. Turkey beat Czech Rep
  4. Portugal beat Georgia

Odds of all of those things happening together were always pretty low.

With a 1 goal win, Hungary needed 2 of the following three things to happen:

1. Albania don't beat Spain AND Croatia don't beat Italy
  2. England beat Slovenia
  3. Georgia don't beat Portugal

Hungary had a much, much higher chance of progression with a win than we had with a draw. That's not even disputable.

If we'd been beaten by Switzerland, then smashing Hungary by 4/5 goals would have given us a very good chance to qualify. Just winning would have given us a fair chance.

4 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Hungary had a very high chance of not making it by beating us by one goal due to their poor goal difference, it was stupid of them to play for this result. There could of been a range of permatations that could of played out, for example Croatia beating Italy would of put Italy ahead of them in the third place rankings being one of them. 

I know. I've explained all the permutations that would have put them through or out. With a 1-0 win, Hungary were probably close to 50/50 to through or go out.

The point is, was aiming to go out and win 4/5-0 ever realistic? would doing that have made it more likely to end up losing or drawing and having a 0% chance of going through?

Just focussing on the win and hoping other results went their way was their best shot of going through. Risking it all and going gung-ho for a 4/5 goal win would have been idiotic. Which is why they didn't do it.

Had a week to calm down now and I'm back in the keep Clarke camp. I do think the credit he built up has now been used and he's back to square one with the fans. 

The Nations League is now make or break for him. A few more performances like the friendlies before the Euro's and then the Euro's and he'll go before the WC qualifiers. 

My opinion is well do ok in the Nations League. Finish 2nd behind Portugal!!

42 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

That's just demonstrably false. If we'd drawn, we'd have needed all of these results to come in to qualify:

1. Spain beat Albania
  2. Italy beat Croatia
  3. Turkey beat Czech Rep
  4. Portugal beat Georgia

Odds of all of those things happening together were always pretty low.

With a 1 goal win, Hungary needed 2 of the following three things to happen:

1. Albania don't beat Spain AND Croatia don't beat Italy
  2. England beat Slovenia
  3. Georgia don't beat Portugal

Hungary had a much, much higher chance of progression with a win than we had with a draw. That's not even disputable.

If we'd been beaten by Switzerland, then smashing Hungary by 4/5 goals would have given us a very good chance to qualify. Just winning would have given us a fair chance.

OK fair point. The 3 pt with poor GD improved a lot due to results after the Scotland-Switzerland Game

With all the snippy comments downvote warfare, etc, this must be the bitchiest website ever. lol.

Got a beef with someone? Be a man and take it to PM.

All these pile ons and downvotes are embarrassing. :)

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

With all the snippy comments downvote warfare, etc, this must be the bitchiest website ever. lol.

Got a beef with someone? Be a man and take it to PM.

All these pile ons and downvotes are embarrassing. :)

Yeah no doubt.

But in fairness you've pretty much been repeating that 5 at the back is a great formation for about a month straight. So it's kind of understandable that it's viewed as a bit boring now tbh.

6 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

I don't think this was the case, they knew they had to beat us by a few goals to claw back their goal difference and have any real chance of progressing on three points.

Hungary didn't react to their goal, or the full-time whistle that soon followed, as if they thought they'd come up short.

34 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yeah no doubt.

But in fairness you've pretty much been repeating that 5 at the back is a great formation for about a month straight. So it's kind of understandable that it's viewed as a bit boring now tbh.

Nah.

When dopey people suggest we go back to a failed system, I politely remind them that a different system has gotten us to back to back Euros.

I do say "trio at the back, in fairness. Never hurts to mix it up a wee bit.  ;)

It is flattering that people notice. Especially since people here all bleed into one, to me. :)

I have never given anyone a downvote. Never plan to. If I have legit beef with anyone, I'll PM them. I don't need an audience. But then again, doubt that'll happen. Why would I have beef with online strangers? :)

Anyway.

Back to topic.

Hopefully Steve Clarke signs an extension to his contract sooner than later.

With the SFA's track record we'll be looking at a dogfight between Gemmil and Hughes.

Edited by Chripper

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Nah.

When dopey people suggest we go back to a failed system, I politely remind them that a different system has gotten us to back to back Euros.

I do say "trio at the back, in fairness. Never hurts to mix it up a wee bit.  ;)

It is flattering that people notice. Especially since people here all bleed into one, to me. :)

I have never given anyone a downvote. Never plan to. If I have legit beef with anyone, I'll PM them. I don't need an audience. But then again, doubt that'll happen. Why would I have beef with online strangers? :)

What planet are you living on haha, you've been banned off of the TAMB forum for having beef with folk and pretty sure you were suspended off of this forum for a while under a different alias. 

I just hope that Clarke isn't going to view this negative criticism as a reason to cut his contract short and walk away.

He made a rod for his own back and in some way his success has given people a stick to beat him with.

We have a squad capable of qualifying but we aren't good enough to go that step further.

It just is what it is.

Despite the recent results, etc, and bumps on the road, Steve Clarke's tenure has been a relative success.

People should just enjoy the ride whilst it lasts. I know that I am. :)

The good times don't last long, so enjoy them whilst it lasts. :)

Edited by Chripper

28 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I just hope that Clarke isn't going to view this negative criticism as a reason to cut his contract short and walk away.

He made a rod for his own back and in some way his success has given people a stick to beat him with.

We have a squad capable of qualifying but we aren't good enough to go that step further.

It just is what it is.

Despite the recent results, etc, and bumps on the road, Steve Clarke's tenure has been a relative success.

People should just enjoy the ride whilst it lasts. I know that I am. :)

The good times don't last long, so enjoy them whilst it lasts. :)

I'm not sure your support is really helping clarke much tbh.

13 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I'm not sure your support is really helping clarke much tbh.

I don't work for the SFA, so you might be right. 😛

I doubt my opinion will really sway things either way, but thanks for the compliment. ;)

I want Clarke to stay. But if he goes then he goes. I just hope the SFA have a contingency plan.

At the end of the day, though. It's only football. A few people in this place are wayyyyyyy too serious and need to have a wee cuddle.

Relax, people. :)

Edited by Chripper

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Clarke's fanboys will be delighted that Switzerland are in the QF and we managed to scrape a draw against them.

A draw with a Quarter Finalist? Scotland? Can you believe that? That's a sensational achievement.
A new 10 year contract for Stevie Clarke.

Nope, still not funny.

37 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I want Clarke to stay. But if he goes then he goes. I just hope the SFA have a contingency plan.

How about they draw up a job description and invite applications? Extreme stuff, I know.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How about they draw up a job description and invite applications? Extreme stuff, I know.

Nice.

That method, as unorthodox as it is, might just catch on. 😛

They'll probably just give the gig to Gemmill.

Personally, i can't wait to see what all the Clarke haters react when we stop qualifying altogether.

All this "He's boring. We play boring football, etc" is all fine and good, but expecting Scotland to play expansive and progressive football, with the current squad, is akin to expecting Jordan to win Mastermind.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Nice.

That method, as unorthodox as it is, might just catch on. 😛

They'll probably just give the gig to Gemmill.

Personally, i can't wait to see what all the Clarke haters react when we stop qualifying altogether.

All this "He's boring. We play boring football, etc" is all fine and good, but expecting Scotland to play expansive and progressive football, with the current squad, is akin to expecting Jordan to win Mastermind.

How about expecting us to not be spineless cowards?