Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

@2343464356 has put more effort into working out Scotland's tactics that even Clarke did.

He picked 11 of his pals and told them to play Brexitball.
It didn't work. Simple as.

At least we only pay Clarke £400k a year for that retrograde pish. Imagine spunking £5M a year for it. 

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I think that's a bit much.  If he's taking time off - and presumably going over what went so badly wrong - he's entitled to that.  There'll be interviews in time.

He's on 400 thousand a year and just ruined our chances 2 finals running. So personally I don't think it's a bit much or is he due any sympathy.

The fans are owed an explanation especially the ones who paid all that money to be there.

Edited by Ranana Ban

On 14/07/2024 at 13:30, Butters Scotch said:

I wasn't referring to someone playing the old McTominay role as a third CB, it was to put them mainly into midfield but keeping one of them slightly deeper to defend against a counter attack and to start off the initial attacking phase, similar to how Kroos was playing for Germany. 

Spoiler
23 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Jack Hendry was one player who performed the deep ball-player role for Scotland.

Part of the 'rest-defensive' structure when we attack. Responsible for progressing the ball from deep. We had that 'McTominay/Kroos' role in our approach against Hungary. 

SCOHUN-J.Hendry..gif.0af7e044fe02f5314c1e2a7ff7d23191.gif

https://streamable.com/qbf7qd

Billy Gilmour was another one progressing the ball from deep. Scotland had that aspect of play in their game against Hungary, that's clear. 

image.gif.8b8bd364c69e76dc8938c2b13f52ffe6.gif

https://streamable.com/ssuixj

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

He's taking a holiday, or rest-defence, if you will. 

Your just jealous that numbers is inadvertently trolling this thread into a rage. 

Any other nation that finished 24th out of 24th would have punted their manager within days.

Clarke appears to be in a comfortable, safe position.

Unsackable even.

Mind you if the alterative is Moyes or McInness might be better with the devil you know.

Edited by Anfield 1977

57 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Gareth Southgate shows Stevie how it should be done.

Still angry

Genuinely worried how good England could be if they bring in an attack minded coach.

Looking forward to another couple of years of Clarke's pragmatism 🙄

2 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Gareth Southgate shows Stevie how it should be done.

Still angry

It's a fair comparison, he's realised he's taken them as far as he can and done the right thing.

A couple of years and the England fans will look back at him fondly.

Posted (edited)

I'm still fine with Clarke as coach.  He has completed his remit as Scotland boss so far by qualifying. 

If he wants to leave then i'm okay with that too, stressful job and all that.

I don't see what any new manager would do differently tbh with the same players.

Edited by 2426255

29 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm still fine with Clarke as coach.  He has completed his remit as Scotland boss so far by qualifying. 

I don't see what any new manager would do differently tbh with the same players.

Maybe be a bit bolder? 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Course you don't. You're not a high end coach. Neither is Clarke. I agree he's done well though, considering

Posted (edited)

This Scotland team has shown it cannot compete consistently with teams as good as England, Netherlands, Germany, Spain and France. Scotland have shown we can compete well against the teams (Ukraine, Switzerland, Hungary etc) below the 'elite' teams, that's our level and we have shown that we can consistently finish ahead of teams seeded below us. That's what Clarke has achieved to date.

The job still in front of Clarke is to take us up another level. It's not a small task, no-one knows if that's even possible. We're part way through that process (1 year or so) and so it's correct to see us in the Nations League and World Cup qualifying before assessing it. Qualifying from our Euro-2024 group was an aspirational target, not a minimum target. Why do fans not get that? 

Edited by 2426255

“Qualifying from our Euro-2024 group was an aspirational target, not a minimum target. Why do fans not get that?”

I think we do, the frustration was the manner of the collapse in game one and the inability to change things and create clear chances against Hungary when we needed to win.

13 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Maybe be a bit bolder? 

Clarke isn't a defensive manager. He plays with ball playing centre-backs. McTominay as a centre-back. He started as a 'back-4' manager. Clarke understands that defending games out isn't the way to improve and reach the level (Pot-1) we're aspiring to. He also understands that Scotland have to be better with the ball when we do have it. Clarke's has adopted a positional play approach.

Guardiola's positional play football is about control. That's why no matter what 'formation' or players you will see stodgy games, passing the ball from side to side and a reluctance to take high risk opportunities under that model. No-one would say Guardiola is a defensive manager, but his football has been labelled 'boring'.

If you want a Postecoglu style manager then look at Celtic in the Champions League under him because that's a good starting point for how Scotland would perform with him in charge.