Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

7 minutes ago, PELE said:

Moyes is a total dinosaur. His sole tactic is lumping high balls into a big carthorse in the middle. His team talk is " get stuck into them". It wouldn't surprise me if he was given the job though.

Lumping high balls into the box and getting stuck into them would’ve been a vast improvement on tonight’s shitefest

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

Every single one of these guys would laugh in our faces if we approached them.

You think so? I mean, if they have better offers, then fair enough, but I’d still be making enquiries. What have we got to lose by finding out?

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Clarke has taken us to a major tournament after decades without one, that shouldn't be overlooked. 

With the exception of Strachan in 2016 (where we came quite close) he's had the massive advantage of having 24 team Euros. The fact we failed so badly to qualify for the World Cup which hasn't expanded until now suggests that qualifying for the major tournaments is more down to tournament expansion than us making huge improvements under Clarke. Our performances in both the tournaments further suggest this. We reached Euro 92 which contained 8 teams, and Euro 96 with 16, so reaching the last 24 before getting swatted aside in the tournaments themselves isn't anything to be particularly impressed by, and is not comparable to reaching previous tournaments.

2 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

You didn't mention anything about being Scottish but they paid more than £3m for Turnbull who sat on the bench for them as a squad player. 

Maik Nawrocki £5m

Marco Tilio £2m

Odin Thiago Holm £3m

Hyeok-kyu Kwon £1.5m

Hyeon-gyu Oh £3m

There's a few bench warmer squad players over the past 2,3 years.  Ralston got a new contract with them quite recently too as they punted a few of the above.

Anyway arguments done.  We are out.  McRorie wouldnt have done better than Ralston the night.

The selection and the choice not to sub Callum McGregor though is scandalous. 

I literally did say they wouldn't spend that for a squad player from Aberdeen. Especially an ex Rangers one.

Turnbull played plenty first season.

Enjoy your night. 

1 minute ago, David1979 said:

You think so? I mean, if they have better offers, then fair enough, but I’d still be making enquiries. What have we got to lose by finding out?

We could enquire in the same way I could enquire about Margot Robbie. Both of us would get the same answer.

He’s just a coward. 

People really watching this tournament full of small teams having a go and playing good football and thinking ‘let’s get another Scottish manager’ is the answer. 

We could enquire in the same way I could enquire about Margot Robbie. Both of us would get the same answer.

I don't think it's quite the same somehow.

An opportunity to coach a group of players who operate at a fairly decent standard, with some who play at a high level in what is considered the best league in the world, and to do that in facilities that are quite good from what I've seen? It's not as if we're Albania or Malta.

2 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Cool so your plan is to do absolutely nothing and just continue being shite cos your scared someone will turn us down?

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

We still had a great chance of going through until Shankland came on and we went to complete shit.

Coincidence?  Simon Murray would have done better. 

Can't for the life of me think why you wouldn't rate Shankland 👀

Just now, David1979 said:

Can't for the life of me think why you wouldn't rate Shankland 👀

I do.  He would do a job for Birmingham.  Not near international class or the EPL level of Adams. 

Get a modern manager in and build a team with 2028 in mind. Trying to go again with this squad for another campaign is just kicking the can down the road at this point. 

About 15 of this squad need told to get to f**k and never selected again. 

Get Doak involved from the off, build the midfield around Gilmour and Ferguson. 

Get the likes of Miller and Conway as much experience as possible. 

55 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I’ve always supported Clarke, but that was a coward’s performance.

First shot on goal from Grant Hanley in the 96th minute against a poor Hungary team.

The level of fear in that team can only be a cultural thing and that only changes at the top.

Against the Swiss we won a corner within 2 minutes and the Tartan Army roared like it was a goal, because it indicated some oompf and urgency.

Tonight we were too shit scared to make two forward passes in a row.

Honourable mention to someone I’m very fond of… Andy Robertson was an absolute shambles. Was he injured?

Anyway, rant over.

Haha, I told you exactly this before the game and you have me a down vote!

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Cool so your plan is to do absolutely nothing and just continue being shite cos your scared someone will turn us down?

I'd 'do nothing' and keep a manager that has been successful over the course instead of gambling on someone else that might be interested.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

6 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’m not actively chasing him out the door but if it comes out in the next few weeks he’s walked away I wouldn’t be sorely upset anymore.

He has got the excuse to have lost Dykes, Ferguson, Hickey and Patterson for this one and I don’t think anyone can argue that most nations would see a drop off if they lost both their starting right backs going into a tournament. 

He’s contracted for the next qualifying campaign, so I don’t see him going. If we qualify for the World Cup all is forgiven for me.

The injuries thing is way overblown. Ferguson never got a kick under Clarke and wouldn't have been any more than a brief sub. I'm not convinced Dykes would have started, even if he would have when you look at how we play he wouldn't have made much/any difference. Hickey is the one real loss, Patterson as back-up means we were basically missing 1 player from our starting 11. It's nothing that every other nation doesn’t have to deal with. The overall style of play and tactics was the issue.

I'd 'do nothing' and keep a manager that has been successful over the course instead of gambling on someone else that might be interested.

I think we have different ideas of success.

Being the worst team at 2 euros with the lowest shot/goal count in history doesn't cut it for me. But I'm glad someone is happy.

We have a top half Premiership level midfield, and a Championship level squad everywhere else. Apart from goalkeepers, who are all Highland League.

Better forward players mean we score the one or two goals that would see us through.

7 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

We still had a great chance of going through until Shankland came on and we went to complete shit.

Coincidence?  Simon Murray would have done better. 

I think it was more to do with pulling McGinn off than swapping Adams for Shankland that was the cause. Much as his Jambo proclivities annoy me, the tefal-headed-one was no worse than Che. McGiinn was often on the verge of making something happen tonight.

Edited by Aim Here

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Here's an idea, let's get a manager that wants to win a game from the first minute rather than the 80th.