Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

14 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

If you look beyond Clarke for a minute, and consider the position of the SFA, then that for me is where the real issue lies.

In my opinion they are a not a professional, well run & results focused organisation. Their very structure means that once in the door, no one wants to give up their position at the table. They can stay in a pretty good job which most of us would love to have and attend any game this wish all over the world with an expense account. There is no body holding them to account - only fans holding back their money & as soon as we get a wee bit of success we all rock up buying tickets and new kits etc.

If they hire Clarke, support Clarke and frankly don't know the answer post-Clarke then there will be  no hurry for a post-mortem, no rush to stand in front of good investigative football journalists ( if we have any) and explain their shortcomings. 

While I do agree with you on the SFA I would say they are focusing on the results. However I think the fans expectation for this tournament has just been different to theirs. When Clarke came in the aim was to start qualifying for major tournaments, as that is where the money is, and he has now qualified for 2 out of the last 3. The performances at both tournaments have been terrible but as long as we keep qualifying and bringing in more money then I think the SFA will be happy with that for quite a while. If they are focused on spending that money on facilities and coaching to try and get more quality young players through then that is not going to be a quick process and they could be thinking more longer term. That or I am giving the SFA far too much credit.

16 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Nailed it.

It's disrespectful from Clarke towards the fans, firstly to serve up such dross on the park and then to act like he did in press conferences, just excerabates it.

His time is up and he should show a bit of grace and go. 

He's not even had the decency to do that.

It's the beginning of the end for him, unless there is radical change in the Nations League and I seriously doubt there will be.

Maybe he is waiting until after the Euros are over ?

Maybe not

The injuries did not help but somethings have to change. If Tierney is still injured come NL he really will have to consider 4atb

He has only 2 more years on his contract so the SFA will not sack him

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

12 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Let’s not get carried away here. Hungary were shite and stank out the tournament just as much as we did. A breakawy goal deep into 10 minutes of injury time won’t change that fact.

Two honking teams that were more concerned about not getting beat than trying win.

I thought it was brilliant psychology by the Hungarians

We did not do anything about it

13 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Let’s not get carried away here. Hungary were shite and stank out the tournament just as much as we did. A breakawy goal deep into 10 minutes of injury time won’t change that fact.

Two honking teams that were more concerned about not getting beat than trying win.

I've not read anyone say that hungary were a good team, so I'm not sure of your point.

Our concern is the scotland team, who were worse than hungary. Who were worse than everyone..

5 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Aye cause you need to do "working" to prove having another attacking player on the pitch would lead to more opportunities. 

Yep. If you have a theory it needs to have an underlying reasoning.

Your theory is if we swap a centre-back for a more attacking player then we'll create more chances. I'm saying football isn't as black and white as that.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Your theory is if we swap a centre-back for a more attacking player then we'll create more chances. I'm saying football isn't as black and white as that.

There’s about a 99% chance that an extra midfielder would have had more impact on the ball than asking Scott McKenna to step into midfield.

Would it have changed the outcome of the game? No idea, but discussing it is a damn site better than your “formations and players don’t actually matter!!!” pish.

Fans (Generalisation) forget Clarke was a "back-4 manager" before Scotland.

He has used it sporadically with Scotland with mixed results and performances as well as having an in built flexibility in the system used.

Why would he be wedded to the back-3? He used it against Gibraltar. To say it's stubborness shows a lack of understanding.

31 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I've explained the reasoning as to why it would be more beneficial having a midfielder in previous posts. It's pretty obvious to everyone on here barring yourself it seems that if we are looking to score a goal then you would want someone that is more comfortable on the ball, someone that can be creative, someone that can pass it better, strike it better, dribble it better, someone that can make forward runs, etc on the pitch ahead of a lump of a CB that is mainly there to defend and will be behind the ball majority of the time.

During the tournament, we had too many passes going backwards or sideways, our forward and attacking midfield players were being marked out the game, there wasn't enough running beyond/off the striker as he was often isolated, too many players behind the ball when building attacks. It was all very toothless. Having an extra man in there would of helped us get up the pitch IMO although the downside to that is we would lose some defensive protection. 

13 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I've explained the reasoning as to why it would be more beneficial having a midfielder in previous posts. It's pretty obvious to everyone on here barring yourself it seems that if we are looking to score a goal then you would want someone that is more comfortable on the ball, someone that can be creative, someone that can pass it better, strike it better, dribble it better, someone that can make forward runs, etc on the pitch ahead of a lump of a CB that is mainly there to defend and will be behind the ball majority of the time.

During the tournament, we had too many passes going backwards or sideways, our forward and attacking midfield players were being marked out the game, there wasn't enough running beyond/off the striker as he was often isolated, too many players behind the ball when building attacks. It was all very toothless. Having an extra man in there would of helped us get up the pitch IMO although the downside to that is we would lose some defensive protection. 

Why do you think Clarke didn't adopt your approach and persisted with his own idea until 80 odd minutes in a 'must win' game?

Why didn't he say: 'f**k it, lets get out the group or die trying?'

37 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Why do you think Clarke didn't adopt your approach and persisted with his own idea until 80 odd minutes in a 'must win' game?

I think it's pretty widely accepted it's because he's a big yellow coward, a chicken.

I think slayer and numbers are a pretty good representation of the left over clarke supporters 🤣

We went 20 years without qualifying for a major football tournament. We went through Vogts, Burley, Smith, McLeish, Levein, McLeish again with no success in sight.

We give the job to Steve Clarke. He proceeds to not only get us to play as a team, he also gets us to play the best football we've seen in years, and also manages to get a ragtag squad of waifs and strays to two major football tournaments.

Against all odds he's done the improbable.

And now, because we managed only one point from a possible nine from the group stage, so called Scotland "fans" want Steve Clarke to leave.

I'm not going to mention the hitting the post against Switzerland and being denied a stonewall penalty against Hungary that Christina Unkel has admitted should have been given.

Oops. I just did.

The Scotland "fans" who want Steve Clarke gone are delusional ingrates.

Either they are ungrateful or they are just moaning gits who yearn for the return of those fruitless two decades so that they have a justification to be miserable.

Look at England. The football world heralds them as a collection of world class talent. Pundits, ex managers, commentators and fans all believe that England are overflowing with football heavyweights.

You see these players strutting their stuff, every week, in the EPL. You seem them bossing the league. Forgetting that amongst those "superstar" England players are players like Saliba, Rodri, De Bruyne, Haaland, Bruno (Both Newcastle and Manchester United), Garnacho, Goku, etc, that make them look good.

The consensus amongst the England fans is that the problem lays with Gareth Southgate. The same as it was the fault of Hoddle, Sven, McLaren, Keegan, Capello, etc.

The world think that Southgate has a plethora of world class attacking players.

The inconvenient truth is in this England squad there are two world class players attackers, and they both scored against Slovakia. Surrounding these two are attacking players ranging from OK to good.

If an apparent "world class" squad of England struggle at this level what chance have Scotland, with four players from the EPL and the rest from the English Championship, SPL, Danish league and the Saudi league got?

With the standard of players Scotland have got, all Scotland fans ought to be thoroughly grateful to Steve Clarke and the job that he's currently doing. And we should be begging him to extend his contract.

Steve Clarke has proven that he can succeed in qualifying and with him at the helm we'll be in the mix to qualify for the 2026 World Cup.

Or Scotland could gamble, get rid of Clarke. Appoint someone like Gemmill or McInnes, who proceeds to rip up the Clarke's successful blueprint, and pinball from mediocre manager to mediocre manager, failing to qualify for a major tournament for another twenty years.

I'll reiterate:

The so called Scotland fans who want Steve Clarke to leave are just moaning gits who yearn for the return of those fruitless two decades so that they have a justification reason to be miserable.

Or, they haven't a clue about football.

I vote all the above. With much confidence.

If people want Steve Clarke to leave. Fine. Stop supporting Scotland and let the Scotland  SUPPORTERS enjoy the ride to the 2026 World Cup.

These moaning gits that want Clarke out probably all voted No at IndyRef and then proceeded to complain that the no vote won.
Edited by Chripper

58 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I am thinking he probably has a lot of regrets over his team selections and wished he did things differently now. 

Playing a midfielder over a CB isn't the same as "f**k it, lets get out the group or die trying" lol.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:
We went 20 years without qualifying for a major football tournament. We went through Vogts, Burley, Smith, McLeish, Levein, McLeish again with no success in sight.

We give the job to Steve Clarke. He proceeds to not only get us to play as a team, he also gets us to play the best football we've seen in years, and also manages to get a ragtag squad of waifs and strays to two major football tournaments.

And now, because we managed only one point from a possible nine from the group stage, so called Scotland "fans" want Steve Clarke to leave.

I'm not going to mention the hitting the post against Switzerland and being denied a stonewall penalty against Hungary that Christina Unkel has admitted should have been given.

Oops. I just did.

Either they are ungrateful or they are just moaning gits who yearn for the return of those fruitless two decades so that they have a justification to be miserable.

Look at England. The football world heralds them as a collection of world class talent. Pundits, ex managers, commentators and fans all believe that England are overflowing with football heavyweights.

You see these players strutting their stuff, every week, in the EPL. You seem them bossing the league. Forgetting that amongst those "superstar" England players are players like Saliba, Rodri, De Bruyne, Haaland, Bruno (Both Newcastle and Manchester United), Garnacho, Goku, etc, that make them look good.

The consensus amongst the England fans is that the problem lays with Gareth Southgate. The same as it was the fault of Hoddle, Sven, McLaren, Keegan, Capello, etc.

The inconvenient truth is in this England squad there are two world class players attackers, and they both scored against Slovakia. Surrounding these two are attacking players ranging from OK to good.

If an apparent "world class" squad of England struggle at this level what chance have Scotland, with four players from the EPL and the rest from the English Championship, SPL, Danish league and the Saudi league got?

With the standard of players Scotland have got, all Scotland fans ought to be thoroughly grateful to Steve Clarke and the job that he's currently doing. And we should be begging him to extend his contract.

Steve Clarke has proven that he can succeed in qualifying and with him at the helm we'll be in the mix to qualify for the 2026 World Cup.

Or Scotland could gamble, get rid of Clarke. Appoint someone like Gemmill or McInnes, who proceeds to rip up the Clarke's successful blueprint, and pinball from mediocre manager to mediocre manager, failing to qualify for a major tournament for another twenty years.

I'll reiterate:

The so called Scotland fans who want Steve Clarke to leave are just moaning gits who yearn for the return of those fruitless two decades so that they have a justification reason to be miserable.

If people want Steve Clarke to leave. Fine. Stop supporting Scotland and let the Scotland  SUPPORTERS enjoy the ride to the 2026 World Cup.

These moaning gits that want Clarke out probably all voted No at IndyRef and then proceeded to complain that the no vote win.

Same post again mate, nice one 👍 

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oops. I just did.

I'll reiterate:

These moaning gits that want Clarke out probably all voted No at IndyRef and then proceeded to complain that the no vote win.

Jim Carrey Idk GIF

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oops. I just did.

I'll reiterate:

Was at all qualifiers home and away and was at all three Euro games, I want Clarke gone, not really sure this makes me a non Scotland supporter.

He has done well getting us to two tournaments but ultimately he has failed twice, can't see him doing much more.

He gets all the credit he deserves but ultimately it's time to move on.

13 minutes ago, NBr1877 said:

Was at all qualifiers home and away and was at all three Euro games, I want Clarke gone, not really sure this makes me a non Scotland supporter.

He has done well getting us to two tournaments but ultimately he has failed twice, can't see him doing much more.

He gets all the credit he deserves but ultimately it's time to move on.

Credit to you then, mate. Total respect.

I stick by 100% what I just said. The people who want the current manager gone clearly don't remember, or they didn't follow Scotland, during the dark times*

No top class manager in their right mind would take the Scotland job. Who is going to say "Jack Hendry, John Souttar, Che Adams, ANGUS GUNN!!?? Lyndon Dykes!?! I wants me some of that!".

😛

The Steve Clarke out mob are all empty barrels who can't seem to give us a cogent reply to whom they want to replace Steve Clarke 

*Glory hunters.

Edited by Chripper

31 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I'll reiterate:

These moaning gits that want Clarke out probably all voted No at IndyRef and then proceeded to complain that the no vote won.

the thick of it GIF

48 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oops. I just did.

I'll reiterate:

are you just wanting more red dots? 

So called Scotland fans? If people take an interest in Scotland and/or attend games they are fans.