Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

Just now, Hauzen said:

Shoogly peg.

Big performance required against the Swiss.

Yeah it would have taken a lot to turn people against Clarke but tonight was really bad.

Weve still got every chance to qualify but 3 points seems unlikely now. Need a win and a draw from the last two. 

For me, the end of the euros should be the end of his tenure. Let's be honest, since qualifying we've been absolutely honking. Tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back. As soon as I saw porteous in that team, I had a feeling it would end badly for him. Don't even get me started on the goalkeeper selection....

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

For me, the end of the euros should be the end of his tenure. Let's be honest, since qualifying we've been absolutely honking. Tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back. As soon as I saw porteous in that team, I had a feeling it would end badly for him. Don't even get me started on the goalkeeper selection....

Who did you want to replace Porteous ?

Who did you want to replace Gunn ?

Who should replace Steve Clarke ?

Heard it a million times that Clarke's on a shoogly peg. Clarke's always p***kly when we lose and worse when we lose badly. The game was a nightmare, but it's one game of three. He's shown that he can bounce back from games like this and he's going to have to do it again.

We are attempting to step up a level in case people aren't realising that. 2024 is a massive step up for our team to try and compete on this stage and in the Nations League. That's why we took the hard friendlies. We've come up short tonight, but we have to expect to take a few knocks before we get to where we want to go.  

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Heard it a million times that Clarke's on a shoogly peg. Clarke's always p***kly when we lose and worse when we lose badly. The game was a nightmare, but it's one game of three. He's shown that he can bounce back from games like this and he's going to have to do it again.

We are attempting to step up a level in case people aren't realising that. 2024 is a massive step up for our team to try and compete on this stage and in the Nations League. That's why we took the hard friendlies. We've come up short tonight, but we have to expect to take a few knocks before we get to where we want to go.  

This makes tonight more annoying to me as our purpose for the past year or so (pretty much since beating Cyprus away) has felt like preparation for this occasion, yet we were utter shite when it came to the main event. 

I agree with your first paragraph, though, and we saw in the last Euros how the mood can change in these gaps between games. It was doom and gloom after losing to Czech Republic, but then we were much happier going into the Croatia game (which ended v badly), so things could be very different this time next week. Not if we play like we did tonight though. 

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

This makes tonight more annoying to me as our purpose for the past year or so (pretty much since beating Cyprus away) has felt like preparation for this occasion, yet we were utter shite when it came to the main event. 

It's not just tonight's game we're trying to make the step up for. Big picture, we're trying to evolve the team beyond where they are. Honestly I don't know how people can't see what is trying to be accomplished here. I post about it often enough. 

2024 has the potential to be a turbulent year. Why? because we're trying to break new ground as a team. Progression isn't always a straight line. It took us years to get beyond the McTominay at centre-back situation. It's not a overnight thing. If people think we're on the wrong road then that's one thing, but it's the knee jerk reactions to a disappointing game tonight that I can't get to grips with. 

A lot of knee jerk reactions on here.

Aye the game was a shitter and mistakes were clearly made in the tactical side of the game but we still have two winnable games left to turn the mood around. 

Didn't have a problem with Clarke's post match interview.  

Shittest question had to be the Austin McPhee one - we'd just attempted the worst free kick in history and Germany should have scored on the break after it. Too fucking right I'd be asking questions of my set piece coach (I can't actually believe we have one but that's a different matter)

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Didn't have a problem with Clarke's post match interview.  

Shittest question had to be the Austin McPhee one - we'd just attempted the worst free kick in history and Germany should have scored on the break after it. Too fucking right I'd be asking questions of my set piece coach (I can't actually believe we have one but that's a different matter)

I’m not sure why you would have an issue with us having a set piece coach, especially given the regularity we have scored from them since he was brought in. 

The build up to euro 2020 and euro 2024 have been very similar in terms of our form.

After we qualified for Euro 2020 we won 2 games in total between then and the tournament which were against Luxembourg and the Faroe islands,  we lost our Nations league group while being in a strong position by losing to Slovakia and Israel back to back and we didn't start our WC qualifiers well with draws against Austria and Israel.

All this was swept under the carpet by pundits, the press and fans to an extent because we had finally qualified for the euros even if it was through the back door.

We ended up being one of the 1st teams being knocked out in what could have arguably be called a home tournament for us.

Now look at euro 2024, we done really well in the 1st half of our group which allowed us to qualify early, but since that win in Cyprus we haven't been competitive and Clarke has had 3 or 4 camps to try and sort it out.

1 win in 9 which was a very poor win against one of if not the worst nations in Europe.

Since we have qualified including last night we have shipped an average of 2.6 goals per game and scored 1.2 goals per game. 

Again this has been all swept under the carpet by the press and pundits because the most important thing was actually qualifying for the tournament, but we have to hold ourselves to a better standard than just qualifying, we have just embarrassed ourselves on the world stage,.not 1 single attempt on goal in the opening game, and we have set the record for being part of the biggest opening game defeat.

Already we are hiding behind injuries, it's one position on the park that's really effected and we have said how it's crippled our entire build up to the tournament.  Aaron Hickey has been injured since October and Patterson since April so he has had plenty of time to come to terms with it.

Given the form we are in I don't think we will just bounce back against switzerland because we haven't bounced back now for a long time.

I simply hope I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It's not just tonight's game we're trying to make the step up for. Big picture, we're trying to evolve the team beyond where they are. Honestly I don't know how people can't see what is trying to be accomplished here. I post about it often enough. 

2024 has the potential to be a turbulent year. Why? because we're trying to break new ground as a team. Progression isn't always a straight line. It took us years to get beyond the McTominay at centre-back situation. It's not a overnight thing. If people think we're on the wrong road then that's one thing, but it's the knee jerk reactions to a disappointing game tonight that I can't get to grips with. 

Jesus, big picture🤣

What we have been building for is this, right now. Clarkes been in charge a long time, this is the European championship. This is what we've been working towards for a long time. There isn't a tournament right after this one.

He's got 2 games to turn it around, I still think he can. But if he doesn't I think he will walk himself, as he strikes me of a guy with integrity.

Let's be honest this squad had maybe 1 more tournament, at most 2. At the end of this tournament we need to decide what's best for us, not what's best for the manager.

11 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I agree with your first paragraph, though, and we saw in the last Euros how the mood can change in these gaps between games. It was doom and gloom after losing to Czech Republic, but then we were much happier going into the Croatia game (which ended v badly), so things could be very different this time next week. Not if we play like we did tonight though. 

Voting Election Day GIF by #GoVote