Dundee United 23/24

I enjoy the banter with our neighbours from up the street,  in the same way I can have a laugh in the pub or work when there's a deserved slagging on the go. There's times you have to suck it up as you dished it out in the past. This is our glorious moment. I think it might last a while though.

11 hours ago, ArabFundamentalist said:

You and all the other Dees who lurk in this thread are more than welcome to comment on United. However I'm personally not prepared to let it go without telling you all to gtf.

Just like I'd expect you lot to do if I was posting on the Dundee thread.

The difference is though you lot would probably do just that and stick up for your team.

United supporters seem to be happy getting powered without offering any sort of comeback.

It's rather depressing.

A noble quest, sir. You will go down in United folklore.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeker said:

I enjoy the banter with our neighbours from up the street,  in the same way I can have a laugh in the pub or work when there's a deserved slagging on the go. There's times you have to suck it up as you dished it out in the past. This is our glorious moment. I think it might last a while though.

Well said, the important thing is that we are Arabs and (thankfully) not Dees.

Form is temporary, class is permanent…

The biggest issue for me at the minute is still the goalie. Replacing him should have been the first piece of business done this summer. That fact it wasn't is a massive concern.

I've already had the fear about Goodwin and this transfer window, so far, isn't helping alleviate that feeling.

I think Newman will be in goals until we get a new keeper signed.  Birighitti won’t be involved IMO, just be a bit of brinkmanship until they agree on a deal for him to leave. When we get another keeper in and he becomes third choice hopefully that will be the hint he needs!

12 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

I think Newman will be in goals until we get a new keeper signed.  Birighitti won’t be involved IMO, just be a bit of brinkmanship until they agree on a deal for him to leave. When we get another keeper in and he becomes third choice hopefully that will be the hint he needs!

Yeah, Birighitti will be gone as soon they can find someone to take him and, eventually, if they can’t find someone he’ll be paid off. Can’t be starting the season with the keeper being booed from minute one and he would be. United have made some particularly thrawn decisions in recent years but surely can’t be that obtuse.

Surely.

Right?

No they are deffo getting rid. He's basically gone already the club are doing pre season with him solely so he's fit and ready to move nothing else.

Newman has looked exceptionally good in training btw and Parish seems to be a decent coach by all accounts.

Feeling a bit more confident about Newman certainly, so much so if we get someone a bit more experienced for cover I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

No they are deffo getting rid. He's basically gone already the club are doing pre season with him solely so he's fit and ready to move nothing else.

Newman has looked exceptionally good in training btw and Parish seems to be a decent coach by all accounts.

Feeling a bit more confident about Newman certainly, so much so if we get someone a bit more experienced for cover I'll be 

We can't go into next season with Newman as our no1, don't think he's ready and wasn't convinced with him when he played last season. Surely the fact were looking to bring in a keeper it'll be as a starter 

3 hours ago, Mr Meeker said:

That's where I'm at, luckily for me only one Dee drinks in the same pub, and he's a good lad. 

And I think you are correct, our troubles may last a while, I'm usually quite balanced about managers but Goodwin hasn't gained my confidence........ (yet?).

Tbf the only howler that Newman was involved in last season in a competitive game* was the opening goal in the 4-0 against County, and Mulgrew was partly responsible in that cock-up too. The rest conceded in his brief run were mostly because he was hung out to dry by the defence.

I still would prefer to see another keeper come in rather than stick with Newman purely because our only other alternative offers about as much protection as a traffic cone plonked on the goalline.

*He may have flogged one in a friendly too.

Edited by captainkev

On 06/07/2023 at 09:15, Pens_Dark said:

Players leaving PL youth academies are a bit of a weird one. You could find a real gem or you could find the next Sean Goss for example. 

Best thing to do was to get him off the wage bill asap as that will be the real drain on the club.

Sean Goss is brilliant. 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Feeling a bit more confident about Newman certainly, so much so if we get someone a bit more experienced for cover I'll be happy.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I thought the keepers looked pretty engaged on the clip on the Clubs you tube channel. MB was conspicuous by his absence on it although he was there 

4 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think I'll trust the Scotland national team and the management of the club's opinion over yours.

Craig Samson got u-21 caps. Jamie Langfield got a B cap and several call ups to full Scotland squads, thankfully without playing.