Dundee United 23/24

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

With the later kick off time I was able to watch the 90 minutes - and hard to argue with any of this. 

We were very solid, if unspectacular - but we got the job done against a team that was very happy to sit deep and allow us to keep the ball (which has never been our strong suit).  Their keeper made a number of excellent saves, especially from Moult, and on another day we score 4 or 5.  

Both goals were excellent - need both Watt and Middleton to keep this run of form going.

Their keeper was MotM IMO.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

What about Kevin Holt though, eh? I mind him, albeit obliquely, from his time at Dundee. A lanky, rather feckless left back. I did not expect this guy to pitch up from Partick in the summer. Impeccable centre half, no nonsense, tidy, and loads of goals. Cheers. 

Yup, definitely this season's surprise package. Can't really complain about how well he's got on.

Some run we are on, long may it continue till promotion, hopefully!

On 10/10/2023 at 02:01, Granny Danger said:

I first subscribed about half way through the 21/22 season.  So far this season both the quality of transmission and the camera work seems poorer than last season and the season before.

The quality of the stream on Saturday was dreadful (but still significantly better than Raith).

Another reason we need to get promoted back to the Premiership at first time of asking - the top-tier equipment was so much better.

On 22/10/2023 at 01:00, Pull My Strings said:

What about Kevin Holt though, eh?

Holt's first goal was an absolute screamer - as good a goal as we have scored in years.  I suspect that the solidarity of knowing that Declan Gallagher is behind him is what is allowing him the confidence to stride out of defence so quickly and frequently - long may it continue.

He doesn't get nearly as much recognition as Holt, but how good is McMann playing this season?  I know it is a big step down from last season, but he was playing incredibly poorly and his confidence looked absolutely shot.  I know that the removal of Birighitti has clearly had a massive impact on all of the defence (how couldn't it!?) but the turn-around in McMann is incredible.

On 22/10/2023 at 02:18, Granny Danger said:

Yet another goal for Logan Chalmers today.  Certainly seems to be fitting in at Ayr.

No idea why he can't replicate this at United.  Real potential and delivering at Ayr and Inverness - but not even getting game time...

Edited by arab_joe

I’m getting a bit fixated by our unbeaten league run and, more so, by our goals against.

I think it’s highly unlikely we can go the whole season without losing a game but it would be something if we could keep our goals against at 18 or below over 36 games.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m getting a bit fixated by our unbeaten league run and, more so, by our goals against.

I think it’s highly unlikely we can go the whole season without losing a game but it would be something if we could keep our goals against at 18 or below over 36 games.

By my reckoning, across the UK we are joined only by Celtic, Falkirk, Hamilton, Tottenham, Arsenal, Portsmouth and (somewhat randomly as they sit 6th in League Two after 13 games) Mansfield at being unbeaten in our respective leagues.  Would be nice to keep it going for another few weeks.

I know it has already been said by every Arab, but what a difference not having Birighitti makes.  If we still had him in the sticks we'd be sat midtable.  Us Arabs are prone to hyperbole, for sure, but I don't think I'm out of line to say that he is the single worst player I have ever seen play for our club (and I include the outrageously unskilled Stuart Duff) - and I've been watching us since the late 90's...

17 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Richard Gough says what? 🙄😂

I never saw him play but my vote is for Andy Rolland - heard his interview with the Dode Fox Podcast chaps a few months back and it was absolutely superb.  He's 80 years old and recalls moments in meaningless games from the 60's with incredible clarity.  A proper legend.

Richard Gough went to Rangers - he is dead to me.  

10 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Fun time at the Fruitbowl.

At long last.

Thank you.

Our pleasure (I think).

Edited by arab_joe
Mansfield

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I know it has already been said by every Arab, but what a difference not having Birighitti makes.  If we still had him in the sticks we'd be sat midtable.  Us Arabs are prone to hyperbole, for sure, but I don't think I'm out of line to say that he is the single worst player I have ever seen play for our club (and I include the outrageously unskilled Stuart Duff) - and I've been watching us since the late 90's...

There must have been about half a dozen occasions v Raith when I had my heart in my mouth as they fired the ball toward goal. Walton scooped up every single one with zero fuss. Birighitti would've spilled at least one of them in those conditions, likely resulting in a goal against.

48 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

There must have been about half a dozen occasions v Raith when I had my heart in my mouth as they fired the ball toward goal. Walton scooped up every single one with zero fuss. Birighitti would've spilled at least one of them in those conditions, likely resulting in a goal against.

Every time I think of Birighitti it makes me think of Fox, a guy given a job he should never have been given, and Ashgar, a guy who should not have been in the position to appoint anyone.  If Goodwin gets us promoted at the first time of asking it will go a long way to helping me consign these two chancers to the dustbin of history.

3 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Gough was on a previous poll.

I know.

You'd think the social media team would know that Richard Gough was a right-back for us, not a centre-back. But hey-ho.

Also, no mention of Ray Stewart.

Sean Dillon? Love him, but, no.

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Richard Gough went to Rangers - he is dead to me.  

I remember years ago seeing a picture of a bunch of the league-winning team on a night out - there must've been around eight of them and there was Richard Gough.

It kinda shocked me as I was much like you - dead to me - but he clearly remembers the time with affection.

So I'll cut him some slack given he played for us for six years and helped win us the title.

Also... https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/issue-1/remembering-ralph/

For the 25th anniversary of the Premier Division win, Davie Dodds had a function in his Dundee pub and I found myself in a room full of heroes. Late in the evening, Richard Gough asked me “where’s busy?” Ralph, myself and the Californian-based Gough found ourselves in the Mardi Gras nightclub, where Ralph and I watched in unbridled delight as the following ensued:

INT. MARDI GRAS NIGHTCLUB. NIGHT.

The nightclub is largely empty. Tatjana’s Santa Maria blasts the threadbare crowd. Ralph, myself and Gough stand at the bar. Gough’s hair, once ginger, is now golden. His face is a deep mahogany. He looks magnificent, and he knows it.

A MAN approaches, a little unsteady on his feet.

MAN

Are you Richard Gough?

GOUGH

Correct.

MAN

What you up to these days big man?

Gough flicks back his golden hair.

GOUGH

Surfing.

MAN

(presuming he’d misheard)

Surfing?

GOUGH

Surfing.

MAN

Surfing?

GOUGH

Surfing.

MAN

(with growing confusion)

Surfing?

GOUGH

Surfing.

The man looks around the dark, empty spaces of the Mardi Gras. As Santa Maria reaches a crescendo (Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Oh, Oh, Santa Maria…) his whole life flashes before his eyes. He thinks about choices made, turnings taken, opportunities missed. He revaluates the very core of his being as everything he has ever known to be true retreats in front of him. He grips the bar, as to find some semblance of solidity in a world suddenly void of reason. He turns back to the golden-haired Gough, his body crumpled, his eyes pleading for escape from the escalating existential crisis, his voice cracked and full of pain…

MAN

Surfing?!

Jim Goodwin has really turned this campaign around, I was dreading going into this that I was signing up to see a mid table championship finish as my first fitba season but seems like it cant really get much better.