Tranent 2023/24

Omnishambles

15 hours ago, Omnishambles said:

Surely no chance the club keep him on the books after a guilty plea on several counts. Bizarre decision to bring him in to begin with.

Aye not the publicity that you want at least Tranent weren’t mentioned in the S*n article along with Kelty where he was last season.

Sure a Kelty fan mentioned that his club dropped him as soon as the case came to light.

Edited by cowdenbeath

You'd have thought they'd have seen the deserved panning Clyde have been taking for several years now and know that you just don't do this

I struggle to think anyone at the club that made this deal happen or put that god awful statement out *didn't* see this exact backlash coming from it. It's either a case of being completely tone deaf to reading the room or a willingness to bury heads in the sand while the club's name is almost unanimously trashed. The most baffling thing is how avoidable this has all been - and I don't think a few season ticket holders towing the committee line really outweighs a wholly negative response from all corners of the league outwith the club. Talk of not knowing all the facts is puzzling for a guy that's plead guilty, and talk of rehabilitation is massively premature for someone who hasn't even been sentenced yet. The club have got a chance to do some serious damage limitation here to the club's reputation and own the fact that they've massively misjudged this whole saga. It needs to happen quickly though.

2 hours ago, Omnishambles said:

I struggle to think anyone at the club that made this deal happen or put that god awful statement out *didn't* see this exact backlash coming from it. It's either a case of being completely tone deaf to reading the room or a willingness to bury heads in the sand while the club's name is almost unanimously trashed. The most baffling thing is how avoidable this has all been - and I don't think a few season ticket holders towing the committee line really outweighs a wholly negative response from all corners of the league outwith the club. Talk of not knowing all the facts is puzzling for a guy that's plead guilty, and talk of rehabilitation is massively premature for someone who hasn't even been sentenced yet. The club have got a chance to do some serious damage limitation here to the club's reputation and own the fact that they've massively misjudged this whole saga. It needs to happen quickly though.

They must have known about the court case when they signed him.

13 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

They must have known about the court case when they signed him.

He's probably not a big enough name. Leave it be. Everyone on here wants to be vigilante we are supposed to be about rehabilitating people and looking after peoples mental health.

Craig Thomson was to me a worse offender and he has played for years and in fact played for your club.

People need to get off their high horse about someone playing football for a semi professional club. Goodwillie situation I didn't agree with the way it was played out but that was a much higher level

11 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

He's probably not a big enough name. Leave it be. Everyone on here wants to be vigilante we are supposed to be about rehabilitating people and looking after peoples mental health.

Craig Thomson was to me a worse offender and he has played for years and in fact played for your club.

People need to get off their high horse about someone playing football for a semi professional club. Goodwillie situation I didn't agree with the way it was played out but that was a much higher level

Hope you dont have a daughter mate . What about the woman he stalked and abused mental health? fool

7 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

Ultimately this decision looks to have been made purely on football.

Rehabilitating offenders isn't an overnight activity and an early guilty plea can be as much about overwhelming evidence etc.

Football is full of offenders convicted of all sorts of crimes - many who continue to offend and many who turn their lives around.  Its not an overnight fix.

Tranent have made their decision and will have to accept sponsors / local community reaction to the decision.

9 minutes ago, shush10 said:

the only wrong is him abusing. where is the other wrong ?

Well let's put it a way that you won't understand anyway because you are stuck in this current mindset people have.

You are ridiculing him for abusing someone but you are abusing the guy it's a hit pot and kettle.

The goodwillie case made international news a few faceless people on here isn't going to make a difference. I bet you wouldn't say it to his face

13 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

Well let's put it a way that you won't understand anyway because you are stuck in this current mindset people have.

You are ridiculing him for abusing someone but you are abusing the guy it's a hit pot and kettle.

The goodwillie case made international news a few faceless people on here isn't going to make a difference. I bet you wouldn't say it to his face

Yeah, expressing a negative view about an abuser and actually abusing your partner are one and the exact same. Are we all perfect? No. Do we all have mistakes in our past? Yes. Are those mistakes automatically on par with domestic abuse? No. Jesus wept.

To flip your question, would you be comfortable to say the whole thing has been a massive overreaction to the face of the woman he laid his hands on? I would say the 'current mindset' in a lot of these cases is the accused/abuser walks away looking like the victim in a lot of people's eyes that are seemingly desperate to make apologies for them.

Edited by Omnishambles

3 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

you are on here defending a man who abused and stalked a woman and admitted to it in court.  its not tranents job to rehabilitate this man, prison will do this.

also are you pals with goodwillie , you keep mentioning him? do you back him too ?

Just now, Omnishambles said:

Yeah, expressing a negative view about an abuser and actually abusing your partner are one and the exact same. Are we all perfect? No. Do we all have mistakes in our past? Yes. Are those mistakes automatically on par with domestic abuse? No. Jesus wept.

To flip your question, would you be comfortable to say the whole thing has been a massive overreaction to the face of the woman he laid his hands on? 

I'm leaving it there before this gets out of hands like it always does on here 

Just now, shush10 said:

you are on here defending a man who abused and stalked a woman and admitted to it in court.  its not tranents job to rehabilitate this man, prison will do this.

also are you pals with goodwillie , you keep mentioning him? do you back him too ?

I'm leaving it at that before it gets put of hands. I've made my point you have made your point I have made mine and we disagree that's it  and I'm not defending him noone is.