The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

10 minutes ago, Beckford said:

OK can anyone put any kind of positive spin on what we witnessed tonight? Folk were saying last Saturday was not that bad and that some of us were overly critical.  Well I'm sorry but tonight was pathetic and I refuse to believe anyone can think otherwise.

In a word. No.

Regardless of the players we have out tonight that was absolutely embarrassing we were rotten again from start to finish and once again deserved nothing from the game.  Morton weren't great either but it's clear they wanted it more and knew what they were doing. The players looked completely lost and it was clear they was zero plan from us. Rankin stood for most of the game in silence expect from the occasional shouts of him shouting up. where you look at the opposite dugout and Imrie was shouting instructions constantly. The management tonight is why Morton are in the next round and we're not. Another trophy where we are out at the first real test as you can't really count the Dundee United B game. I tried to be a bit easier on Rankin after we got promoted but i am quickly losing my patience tonight was shocking. From looking at the directors box tonight it didn't seem like Seref, Gerry or John Brown were they which is quite ironic considering they wanted Friday night games. 

Tumilty is absolutely rotten. Todorov is hopeless I honestly can't see him scoring for us unless he takes a penalty. Why did we sign O'Connor? I can remember him being hopeless for Ayr anytime I seen him and he looks just as bad for us. That boy from St Johnstone doesn't look promising either. Those guys are rotten but somehow Ben Williamson is on another level of shite how did he play the full 90 tonight? Anyone with a clue puts Maguire into midfield and takes Williamson off. If Scott Martin is out for any period of time then we should be looking at the transfer market again still a few good free agents available. Kerr Mcinroy and Liam Grimshaw instantly both come to mind Grimshaw also does a good job at right back which is another position where we are badly lacking in quality.

A big 3 games coming up for us with Morton again and Airdrie coming up after the Falkirk game I would imagine they'll be a bit of riot if we pick up anything less than 4 points from the next 9. 

18 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Regardless of the players we have out tonight that was absolutely embarrassing we were rotten again from start to finish and once again deserved nothing from the game.  Morton weren't great either but it's clear they wanted it more and knew what they were doing. The players looked completely lost and it was clear they was zero plan from us. Rankin stood for most of the game in silence expect from the occasional shouts of him shouting up. where you look at the opposite dugout and Imrie was shouting instructions constantly. The management tonight is why Morton are in the next round and we're not. Another trophy where we are out at the first real test as you can't really count the Dundee United B game. I tried to be a bit easier on Rankin after we got promoted but i am quickly losing my patience tonight was shocking. From looking at the directors box tonight it didn't seem like Seref, Gerry or John Brown were they which is quite ironic considering they wanted Friday night games. 

Tumilty is absolutely rotten. Todorov is hopeless I honestly can't see him scoring for us unless he takes a penalty. Why did we sign O'Connor? I can remember him being hopeless for Ayr anytime I seen him and he looks just as bad for us. That boy from St Johnstone doesn't look promising either. Those guys are rotten but somehow Ben Williamson is on another level of shite how did he play the full 90 tonight? Anyone with a clue puts Maguire into midfield and takes Williamson off. If Scott Martin is out for any period of time then we should be looking at the transfer market again still a few good free agents available. Kerr Mcinroy and Liam Grimshaw instantly both come to mind Grimshaw also does a good job at right back which is another position where we are badly lacking in quality.

A big 3 games coming up for us with Morton again and Airdrie coming up after the Falkirk game I would imagine they'll be a bit of riot if we pick up anything less than 4 points from the next 9. 

Bit harsh on Morton so I have to disagree I thought we played pretty well tonight completely controlled the game from 10 minutes onwards and should’ve had more than 1 goal 0-1 flattered Hamilton tonight and anyone watching could see that 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I gathered that 

Morton winning the game easily doesn’t change the fact Hamilton were the much better team in the first ten minutes (when I made that post)

Edited by MazzyStar

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Morton winning the game easily doesn’t change the fact Hamilton were the much better team in the first ten minutes (when I made that post)

Make those kinda posts more often please might help us climb the league 😁 glad you edited your post no need for name calling 

Edited by Cowshed

19 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bit harsh on Morton so I have to disagree I thought we played pretty well tonight completely controlled the game from 10 minutes onwards and should’ve had more than 1 goal 0-1 flattered Hamilton tonight and anyone watching could see that 

Potentially i am a  little bit harsh on Morton. I totally agree that you deserved to win and deserved to win more comfortably however I feel that a lot of that was down to how bad we were rather than Morton being amazing or anything however it's clear Imrie has a plan and his players are buying it you can't say that same about us. 

10 hours ago, Beckford said:

OK can anyone put any kind of positive spin on what we witnessed tonight? Folk were saying last Saturday was not that bad and that some of us were overly critical.  Well I'm sorry but tonight was pathetic and I refuse to believe anyone can think otherwise.

Last weekend the team atleast looked like they were trying to get a win/draw out of the game.  Last night it genuinely looked like the team weren’t bothered about trying to get any sort of result even after going down a goal less than 20 minutes in.

I don’t know why that was the case, £100k to the winner of the trust trophy isn’t to be sniffed at.

10 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I thought the beginning of each half were your best spells, where you had some control in the game and tempo to your play.

Agree Morton weren't great shakes on the night either and in a cup game getting through is all that matters.

Worryingly, 1 goal looks to be enough to beat us in the last few weeks with two relatively average championship sides (sorry QP and Morton fans but it's true) getting a goal and looking relatively comfortable. 

Also worryingly, transfer market definitely isn't an option in January. We've overspent already and we need to work with what we've got. Still think some of the new boys will come good, although Olufunwa looked awful against Raith and Williamson is a passenger every game. 

26 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

Also worryingly, transfer market definitely isn't an option in January. We've overspent already and we need to work with what we've got. Still think some of the new boys will come good, although Olufunwa looked awful against Raith and Williamson is a passenger every game. 

In January Olufunwa will probably be away as he's only here till January. I would assume and hope we'll be looking to move on Williamson and potentially 1 or 2 others so that might free things up. But it probably isn't an option right now which is frustrating. There's good money to be made from these competitions though that we keep getting knocked out of at basically the first real test which isn't good enough.. 

45 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

Worryingly, 1 goal looks to be enough to beat us in the last few weeks with two relatively average championship sides (sorry QP and Morton fans but it's true) getting a goal and looking relatively comfortable. 

The fact that conceding one goal is enough to see us more or less chuck it has been a recurring discussion amongst fans I know. We are so fragile mentally and you can clearly see the players' heads go down when we conceeded.

Another recurring theme is starting a a game (or often both halves) pretty well. However, it never seems to last more than ten to fifteen mins if we dont score. Which again points to poor confidence and mentally, which is largely down to Rankin.

The flip side of this is that when we do score early, we tend to sit in really deep and become very negative rather than looking to kill the game off, which again seems to be down to Rankin.

22 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

£100k to the winner of the trust trophy isn’t to be sniffed at.

Completely agree. I don’t understand why folks keep referring to this as a tinpot competition. A hundred grand for teams at our level goes a hell of a long way and is 100% worth battling for.

With the exception of Martin, I don't think any of our players from last season have really stepped up to the Championship yet, but hopefully some will do once the first round of fixtures are done. 

Henderson, Barjo and Kilday have had some good (or even very good) games, but none have consistently looked like Championship players yet. Like I said, though, hopefully that'll come, and it's needed as Shaw and McGinty have been the only good signings so far imo. 

25 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

With the exception of Martin, I don't think any of our players from last season have really stepped up to the Championship yet, but hopefully some will do once the first round of fixtures are done. 

Henderson, Barjo and Kilday have had some good (or even very good) games, but none have consistently looked like Championship players yet. Like I said, though, hopefully that'll come, and it's needed as Shaw and McGinty have been the only good signings so far imo. 

I would say Macdonald has stepped up to the championship as well obviously he's now injured for the next 2 or 3 months. I completely agree with you that Martin is still our best player. Our midfield will be good when it's a midfield 3 of Macdonald, Martin and Connor however when 2 of them or even 1 of them are injured it's going to be brutal. Like I said in a previous post if Martin is out for a period of time then another midfielder has to be brought in even if it's just till January there's still a couple of good free agents who would immediately improve us if we're in a position with no Macdonald and Martin and we don't bring anyone else in i can't see us picking up many points in that time. I still think Longridge is decent enough as well although he's not outstanding he rarely puts a foot wrong. 

Henderson was definitely our best player on Friday and looked the only one likely to make something happen would genuinely be the only one who I would have given passmarks to. I agree with you on Shaw and McGinty. I actually quite like Albinson as well and I do prefer him over Lyness. I still think there's a player in Bradley which we've seen in flashes. Maguire is a bit meh he's not great but he's not been terrible either however I'm not to keen on the rest of the new signings so far.

On 12/10/2024 at 09:47, Moysterclass said:

No need to apologise; I'm more than happy to be labelled an "average" side by just about every set of fans whose team we've taken points off this season, especially if we carry on the way we've started!

35 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

No need to apologise; I'm more than happy to be labelled an "average" side by just about every set of fans whose team we've taken points off this season, especially if we carry on the way we've started!

Fair play. We said the same thing when we were in the premiership getting called every name under the sun after a win. 

1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I would say Macdonald has stepped up to the championship as well obviously he's now injured for the next 2 or 3 months. I completely agree with you that Martin is still our best player. Our midfield will be good when it's a midfield 3 of Macdonald, Martin and Connor however when 2 of them or even 1 of them are injured it's going to be brutal. Like I said in a previous post if Martin is out for a period of time then another midfielder has to be brought in even if it's just till January there's still a couple of good free agents who would immediately improve us if we're in a position with no Macdonald and Martin and we don't bring anyone else in i can't see us picking up many points in that time. I still think Longridge is decent enough as well although he's not outstanding he rarely puts a foot wrong. 

Henderson was definitely our best player on Friday and looked the only one likely to make something happen would genuinely be the only one who I would have given passmarks to. I agree with you on Shaw and McGinty. I actually quite like Albinson as well and I do prefer him over Lyness. I still think there's a player in Bradley which we've seen in flashes. Maguire is a bit meh he's not great but he's not been terrible either however I'm not to keen on the rest of the new signings so far.

Hard to say about MacDonald given he's only played about two games in midfield against Championship opposition, though I actually really liked what I saw from him at CB.