The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

Just now, Owsley 2 said:

To be fair, we did have two seasons in the Premier with ridiculously low season ticket prices, for adults anyway. £150 & £180.

Cheap tickets for a shite, negative product, though.

I can't remember seeing any adverts outside of official club social media either.

Not going to build your fanbase if you advertise only to those who already are your core fans.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Articles like this really wind me up when they are littered with complete inaccuracies.

The attendance on the Friday night we beat Aberdeen was over 3,000 and the main stand was relatively busy. Ronnie suggesting more than 1,600 were in the away end is nonsense.

The youth game yes had over 3,000 too, but it was free to enter (so didn't sell out) and was the very first game in a european competition for the club. 

Honestly with attitudes like that it's no wonder the football club was a shambles. f**k the lot of them. 

Aberdeen attendance was 4,093. Our stand was packed. I think Ronnie means the Basel game, weren't there more at that one than the Midtjylland game? But yes, free entry.

2 minutes ago, Owsley 2 said:

Aberdeen attendance was 4,093. Our stand was packed. I think Ronnie means the Basel game, weren't there more at that one than the Midtjylland game? But yes, free entry.

Definitely wild to suggest that Aberdeen had more fans than the stand behind the goal hold then. What an utter fanny.

The worst of it is every single one of them live in an echo chamber and will believe what each of them say.

Possibly, i got mixed up too.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Cheap tickets for a shite, negative product, though.

I can't remember seeing any adverts outside of official club social media either.

Not going to build your fanbase if you advertise only to those who already are your core fans.

I think the Alex Neil half season in the Prem spoilt us all. Accies in the top league is not the norm. It was always going to be a tortuous struggle to win points. The Season tickets were publicised in the papers, maybe they could've put posters up around town but there is word of mouth. I know fans who hadn't bought one in years that bought them.

29 minutes ago, Owsley 2 said:

Accies in the top league is not the norm. It was always going to be a tortuous struggle to win points.

I disagree. Clubs of a similar size in Livingston and St. Johnstone have had success in the top flight and won trophies.

Accies tried to do things on the cheap year in year out, which sucked the life out of our support. They thought far too much of the Academy, evidenced still to this day with them still banging on about 2 players sold almost 15 years ago. Look at some of the chumps that got so much playing time in the top flight - Munro, Mimnaugh etc.

When Alex Neil left, the club boasted they'd had 60 applications for the job, including the likes of Gattuso. Who did they appoint? Martin Canning. Off the back of 3 caretaker defeats, including a 5-0 humping at Firhill. Canning took us from 3rd in mid January into a relegation scrap.

That decision, and the £1m Nigerian Prince fiasco is ultimately what they will be remembered for.

I hope to hear no more of them or who owns the stadium. Get to f**k.

3 hours ago, Beckford said:

Its always claimed that "fan apathy" is the cause of all the clubs problems. Blame the fans when we were told the club didnt need fans during the good times. Funny how we get the blame during the tough times.

Why is there never talk of why there is this apathy? Why were there no efforts to build the support when we clearly had some great teams?

Why not value the support of fans that buy season tickets every year regardless of how they are treated. Why not praise fans that follow the club through thick and thin. 

In the view of Ronnie,Allan and McGowan the fault of all the problems at the club during their tenures lie to everyone else apart from them 

19 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Ronnie coming across as a bitter old man and yet again it's the fans fault.

Let's not pretend he won't be involved in the club anymore along with the rest if them. Must think we all button up the back 

Probably "bought" a Platinum Ticket 🤪

48 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Articles like this really wind me up when they are littered with complete inaccuracies.

The attendance on the Friday night we beat Aberdeen was over 3,000 and the main stand was relatively busy. Ronnie suggesting more than 1,600 were in the away end is nonsense.

The youth game yes had over 3,000 too, but it was free to enter (so didn't sell out) and was the very first game in a european competition for the club. 

Honestly with attitudes like that it's no wonder the football club was a shambles. f**k the lot of them. 

Yep good thing they aren't making the football decisions anymore the minute Ronnie,Allan or McGowan and any of their mates get a single bit of criticism they either throw a meltdown and start threatening fans or accuse fans of hate crimes. 

Tbf it does look like there are around 1,600 Aberdeen fans behind the goal though that would leave around 2,400 home fans (which looks about right), rather than 1,400. A much bigger support than is quoted but also not the 'few dozen empty seats' I saw that was claimed on twitter. It wouldn't surprise me if the S*n have made a simple f**k up  

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

3 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Tbf it does look like there are around 1,600 Aberdeen fans behind the goal though that would leave around 2,400 home fans (which looks about right), rather than 1,400. A much bigger support than is quoted but also not the 'few dozen empty seats' I saw that was claimed on twitter. It wouldn't surprise me if the S*n have made a simple f**k up  

Watching this back and seeing the players that made up that starting XI just cements that Alex Neil is a superb coach. Very few, if any, of those players done anything after leaving Accies. 

Can't blame Neil for leaving, going to Norwich has given him a great life and career down south, but can't help but wonder 'what if' he had stayed that season. I am certain we'd have qualified for European football.

Edited by Accies1

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I disagree. Clubs of a similar size in Livingston and St. Johnstone have had success in the top flight and won trophies.

Accies tried to do things on the cheap year in year out, which sucked the life out of our support. They thought far too much of the Academy, evidenced still to this day with them still banging on about 2 players sold almost 15 years ago. Look at some of the chumps that got so much playing time in the top flight - Munro, Mimnaugh etc.

When Alex Neil left, the club boasted they'd had 60 applications for the job, including the likes of Gattuso. Who did they appoint? Martin Canning. Off the back of 3 caretaker defeats, including a 5-0 humping at Firhill. Canning took us from 3rd in mid January into a relegation scrap.

That decision, and the £1m Nigerian Prince fiasco is ultimately what they will be remembered for.

I hope to hear no more of them or who owns the stadium. Get to f**k.

Livingston threw a lot of money at it. OK, it won them the League Cup but it also led to administration. St Johnstone historically have been a bigger club with a bigger support. They've had several European seasons. Apart from the 30s, Accies have had one season in the top flight in the 50s, one in the 60s, none in the 70s, two in the 80s and none in the 90s. We struggle to reach 300 season tickets, St Johnstone have sold over 2,000 already. Not sure what was the most we sold in the Premier, I'm think we sold at least 800 when they were only £150.

I've said before, I wanted Canning gone after the 4-1 Annan humiliation but he did keep us up for two seasons. And look where we are now.

Canning was a necessary sacrifice. It was miserable watching his team every week with no sign of ever breaking beyond dross, so he had to get punted to see if there was any hope of us improving. We didn't improve, but it was better to learn that than continue stuck in the same old rut. 

10 hours ago, Owsley 2 said:

To be fair, we did have two seasons in the Premier with ridiculously low season ticket prices, for adults anyway. £150 & £180.

Always felt this is a really tricky one to get right. Make them too cheap and you weaken the value of your product. Charge too much and you get slaughtered.

The freebie tickets to all the hangers on did really wind me up though. At times you couldnt get into the "club shop" due to the line of folk waiting to collect comps.

Friends and family of players fair dos, but random folk standing outside the shop with handfulls of tickets saying things like" dont pay to get in mate, if got loads of comps here"

In the section we sit, it often felt like we were the only ones actually paying to get in. Sticks in the craw when your teams getting gubbed every week.

Ronnie McDonald coming across as a bitter man at being ousted by Zengin at The Football Club(Stadium Company is a different kettle of fish as we all know).

His regime has went The Grand Old Duke of York as we find ourselves back where we started when he took over.

His regime for me ultimately comes down to two things:the disastrous appointment of Martin Canning at the best period for the club since the 1930's denying us the chance of Europe and giving his Shares away to the man despised by 99.9% of Accies fans aka Colin McGowan in his last GIRUY to the fans.

At the end of the day Ronnie did do a great job for 15 years but he valued giving his mates jobs and ownership status and hoping for the best instead of appointing the right people. The Canning manager appointment Daz assistant and McGowan being given ownership status are examples of these there is more people could name. And he could never take blame for anything I'm glad he doesn't get to appoint another manager because if he was we all know it would of been Daz which would of been a disaster hopefully when the time comes for Seref to appoint his first manager whenever that is he goes for the best candidate rather than appoint a mate who is out of depth from day 1 and hope for the best like Ronnie did a couple of times. Hopefully he can also accept criticism and not throw a full meltdown everytime like Ronnie did. So far Seref has started of very well with signings good to see that gala day and fans fourm on Sunday as well as it's something the fans have wanted for a while. However the Social media stuff needs to improve. Still need a couple signings as well rankin did say in the media during midweek he wanted at least 1 in by the game tomorrow wonder if we will we get a match day signing.

54 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

At the end of the day Ronnie did do a great job for 15 years but he valued giving his mates jobs and ownership status and hoping for the best instead of appointing the right people. The Canning manager appointment Daz assistant and McGowan being given ownership status are examples of these there is more people could name. And he could never take blame for anything I'm glad he doesn't get to appoint another manager because if he was we all know it would of been Daz which would of been a disaster hopefully when the time comes for Seref to appoint his first manager whenever that is he goes for the best candidate rather than appoint a mate who is out of depth from day 1 and hope for the best like Ronnie did a couple of times. Hopefully he can also accept criticism and not throw a full meltdown everytime like Ronnie did. So far Seref has started of very well with signings good to see that gala day and fans fourm on Sunday as well as it's something the fans have wanted for a while. However the Social media stuff needs to improve. Still need a couple signings as well rankin did say in the media during midweek he wanted at least 1 in by the game tomorrow wonder if we will we get a match day signing.

It didn't matter who was manager as Ronnie had far too much influence in signings and team selection. He gave up a long time ago so on that front we are well rid.

We need to stop promoting McGowan on our official social media platforms too. He (and the club) claim he has gone, so let him advertise his stuff through his own channels.

Gerry Strain still using the email address he claimed was hacked and was at the centre of a police forensic investigation is a surprise, but if he could stop promoting non football related stuff (and tagging McGowan in football club related stuff) on LinkedIn that would also be great.

I'm willing to give Rankin a fresh crack of the whip now he has a squad that is undoubtably his, but his whole nonsense about what he claimed was said at the Alloa game does him no favours. An acknowledgement that his public and vocal tarnishing of the supporters was rooted in information given to him in bad faith would go a long way to building bridges with the support.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It didn't matter who was manager as Ronnie had far too much influence in signings and team selection. He gave up a long time ago so on that front we are well rid.

We need to stop promoting McGowan on our official social media platforms too. He (and the club) claim he has gone, so let him advertise his stuff through his own channels.

Gerry Strain still using the email address he claimed was hacked and was at the centre of a police forensic investigation is a surprise, but if he could stop promoting non football related stuff (and tagging McGowan in football club related stuff) on LinkedIn that would also be great.

I'm willing to give Rankin a fresh crack of the whip now he has a squad that is undoubtably his, but his whole nonsense about what he claimed was said at the Alloa game does him no favours. An acknowledgement that his public and vocal tarnishing of the supporters was rooted in information given to him in bad faith would go a long way to building bridges with the support.

Yeah I would agree with everything you've said there