The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

Obviously really sad to see him go especially with him being a fan. He gave everything for us good to see him leaving on high as we all know he had a really difficult season last year. Really disappointing that it seems like the club haven't offered him what's he's worth hopefully he does well at Livingston.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Obviously really sad to see him go especially with him being a fan. He gave everything for us good to see him leaving on high as we all know he had a really difficult season last year. Really disappointing that it seems like the club haven't offered him what's he's worth hopefully he does well at Livingston.

I don't think there is much more to it.

He more than likely was on money that the manager thought he wasn't worth given he has been posted missing for pretty much 2 years.

Played well recently but probably knew the situation/offer and was playing for a contract elsewhere. 

Edited by Theaccman

3 hours ago, Beckford said:

Wow, didn't think they would actually let him go to a team we will be competing with for free. A week ago he scored for the club he loves. A week later he's out the door. Something doesn't feel right about this tbh. 

We didn't "let him go" - he was out of contract.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

We didn't "let him go" - he was out of contract.

So give him the contract he deserves. They didn't So they let him go. 

That's disappointing. His numbers this season were excellent and I wanted to see how he carried that form into the Championship, especially as he played such a big role in getting us there. His dad (also his agent) wanted him to re-sign, so I'd imagine the appetite was there. 

While it's hardly all been plain sailing, watching him break through at the start of the 19/20 season was great fun and I don't think there's been another Accies player who I've wanted to do well as much as him. 

53 minutes ago, Beckford said:

So give him the contract he deserves. They didn't So they let him go. 

Maybe we did offer him the contract his general level of performance the last few years 'deserved'

Lewis Smith leaving isn't the end of the world. Seref has said he wants to be competitive next season - if we take that at face value then change is neeed - we won't achieve that by resigning the same players who flopped 2 seasons ago.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe we did offer him the contract his general level of performance the last few years 'deserved'

Lewis Smith leaving isn't the end of the world. Seref has said he wants to be competitive next season - if we take that at face value then change is neeed - we won't achieve that by resigning the same players who flopped 2 seasons ago.

Yet we retain and keep players like Winters who have contributed nothing.

There is plenty of fat that could be trimmed from the squad to free up funds. Smith may have been a fringe player next season,  but he would have been an asset as an impact sub and deserved a chance.. This,  along with his loyalty and connection with the club is an argument for keeping him. I accept he may have been promised more game time elsewhere though.

Lewis Smith didn't flop in the championship. His confidence was clearly shot and he was poorly managed by Rankin. Annoyingly, Rankin recently got it right and used him in a slightly different role, which saw his performance levels improve.

No one is saying it's the end of the world he has left. The issue for some is an improving player getting back to his best has gone to a rival and could potentially come back to hurt us. 

Edited by Beckford

14 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Lewis Smith signed with us, 2 year deal with club option of a 3rd year

Fair move for him, however he is genuinely the ultimate confidence player.  When he starts as soon as he makes a mistake his whole game goes to shit and he could be hooked off.

Turned it around a towards the end of the season and has been a decent servant but not completely heartbroken to see him go. A fresh start might be best for all.

1 hour ago, Beckford said:

Has Winter signed an extension? I was pretty sure that he was out of contract at the end of the season too. 

Speaking of which, here's who I'd be looking to get rid of:

- All of the loan players except Rose

- Fulton and Lewis Smith are sadly away anyway

- Jamie Smith, Kalala and Redfern out on loan

- Then let go of Hendrie, McGinn, Connor Murray, Hewitt and Winter

Mumbongo will definitely be away as well it will be interesting to see where he ends up as he didn't do that bad at QOTS nowhere near good enough for us or the championship though. I would have kept Joe McGlynn and Kilday if we had stayed in L1 however now we've been promoted I think we need to let both go to bring someone better in and free up the wages. I would personally keep Hendrie as a backup to Longridge. 

Posted (edited)

Winter is out of contract I’m sure so I expect he’ll be gone when the club announce a retained list.

the others I think are: Fulton and Smith (both already away), Redfern, Hamilton, Henderson, Mumbongo, McGlynn, Murray, Lyness and maybe Hendrie. Excluding loan players.
Everyone else is on atleast a deal for next season if not longer (although I don’t know about youth player as there was talk Ben Black will be gone)

From that I’d really only be breaking the bank to try and keep Hendo.  Redfern falls into the same category as Winter for me, never managed to kick on.  Can we afford the sentiment of offering Hamilton a new deal? I dunno. Lyness meh we could do a lot better I think.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

3 hours ago, Beckford said:

Who says we're keeping Winter? 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Speaking of which, here's who I'd be looking to get rid of:

- All of the loan players except Rose

- Fulton and Lewis Smith are sadly away anyway

- Jamie Smith, Kalala and Redfern out on loan

- Then let go of Hendrie, McGinn, Connor Murray, Hewitt and Winter

I'd keep McGinn, Murray, Jamie Smith at the club for depth. Kalala, Newbury, Ben Black loans. Hendrie 50/50, depends what money he's on. Winter, Hewitt Redfern away for sure. 

Posted (edited)

I used Winters as an example of a player that has been kept well beyond the point of where he has been usefull to the club but was kept on and played regularly. Hope he will be one of the first ones out the door but would not be supprised if he was given a new contract tbh.

Edited by Beckford

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

From that I’d really only be breaking the bank to try and keep Hendo.

We've not offered him a deal.

I'd absolutely keep Hamilton btw. Him and Owens should be our first choice CB pairing.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I forgot about the two loaned out strikers (McGlynn and Mumbongo). I'd get rid of both, though I've not seen McGlynn for Kelty so not sure if he's improved much. Another striker, Ben Black, is offski too as he's felt that his pathway's been blocked. 

I like Henderson and think he'd be a good backup. It didn't always work out for him in the second half of the season, but I think he's got the potential to offer us something next season. 

Mumbongo was a bizarre signing. No hate against the guy but wasn't nearly good enough. And now we've lost Ben Black apparently because he couldn't get in the first team. Very poor squad management. 

Posted (edited)

The thing which always confuses me about Mumbongo is he somehow managed to make 4 English Premier League appearances for Burnley. Clear to say that he was absolutely rotten for us. I will never forget his performance at Annan where he probably should have been subbed back off after being subbed on. It does seem like he done OK for QOTS though as he did get a couple of goals for them. 

Edited by Ian Mcleod

I'd keep McGlynn personally, i liked what I saw in his odd appearance and he scored a few goals, so think he deserves another chance, maybe as a impact sub.

I'd ship out:

Lyness
Hendrie
McGowan
Hewitt
Murray
Winter
Mumbongo

30 minutes ago, Laid-back Accie said:

I'd keep McGlynn personally, i liked what I saw in his odd appearance and he scored a few goals, so think he deserves another chance, maybe as a impact sub.

I'd ship out:

Lyness
Hendrie
McGowan
Hewitt
Murray
Winter
Mumbongo

I also liked McGlynn and would have kept him if we had stayed in L1 however now we're in the championship I don't think he's at the level required only 3 goals in 12 for Kelty isn't what you're needing in the championship. I wasn't a fan of Lyness at the start but I think he's done well and deserves to stay as a backup but we do need to bring someone else in wonder if Michael McGovern is an option the club are considering.