Clyde Season 23/24

11 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I've just watched our head coach state "we're still trying to find the best system to play with the players we've got."

Surely that's the wrong way round. I'd suggest the director of football should be signing the best players to play to the system he's chosen for the team.

Our football setup is completely flawed as you say. Our rookie head coach doesn’t have a clear identity on how he wants to play. It should be the head coach that is dictating who the DOF recruits to fit into his system and style. Instead we’ve got McLean trying to cobble something together from the old pals and young boys that Duffy is signing. It’s an impossible task, Pep would struggle to make something coherent out of that shite.

I would like someone to remind McLean of his ‘fittest team in the league’ bollocks then ask him to comment on Ross Forbes fucking waddling about for 90mins yesterday. That was embarrassing.

Edited by Clyde01

First of all, apologies for the slightly long-winded and probably self-indulgent post, but I feel like a Sunday morning vent so here we are 😂😂

I remember first asking the chairman during a meeting last year - can’t remember which one - that the club was in a state of decline and it was greeted with a mild sense of surprise and incredulity that anyone would ever think that. Yet, here we are and two games in, the rot is well and truly set in for another long and brutal season. Once again, there is nothing tangible to excite the fanbase beyond a Crownpoint application which we look underdogs at this stage to secure and a suddenly announced investment which we’re only getting the benefit of at the time when the vast majority of the quality players are already signed up.

I don’t sneer at a single club in this division because they all have at least one of three critical things you need for a successful operation - on-field success, competent stewardship and community connection. I envy them for having these things. 

There is no divine right to success but the whole attitude around the club is a complacency that because we were half decent almost two decades ago, then we’ll be fine. 

I miss most of the games these days but my job means I watch another club on a Saturday on a regular basis and the comparison between the way they operate on and off the field just makes me even more frustrated at how things are going with Clyde.

The game on Wednesday is one of the few I could make because the two teams don’t clash for once, but there will be no chance at all, it’s just a waste of time at the moment. It’s not about the fact we’re losing so much - I’m used to that with Clyde over the years 😂😂 - but I don’t even see a reason to invest the mental space at the moment. I don’t even check what the score is until I come back from the games right now.

We talk about growing the fanbase but I’m a fan just approaching 30 and have no intention to engage with the club - beyond my monthly contribution - until there is a sign of life. At the moment we’re just flatlining towards an existential crisis and I can’t bear to watch it.

3 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

With any luck the mystery investor will threaten to walk away unless the board show Jim the door.

Imagine throwing money at a failed and continuing to fail operation because one small group of men appear unable to admit or come to terms with the fact they've made a mistake. 

This is a huge point.  Our starting 11 had 7, I think, from last year's unmitigated shitshow.  

In terms of the additions; C Scullion will never be a SPFL player. Forbes and Carswell both look way beyond their sell by. 

Any 'investor' real or imaginary, is doing the right thing by buying when the price is low.

Talk of 'gravy train' for directors is just inflammatory bollox.  There is no gravy to be supped up.  I don't question their motivation but I do seriously question their ability and acumen. A few examples:

Extending DL's contact 

The period ie ending in September for the contract

DGW return loan

Frying pan to fire Broadwood to NDP

Revolving door of same old faces, who have failed, on board

Duffy / McLean appointment

Chairman's statement made in hope and not based on evidence.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Typo

44 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

This is a huge point.  Our starting 11 had 7, I think, from last year's unmitigated shitshow.  

In terms of the additions; C Scullion will never be a SPFL player. Forbes and Carswell both look way beyond their sell by. 

Any 'investor' real or imaginary, is doing the right thing by buying when the price is low.

Talk of 'gravy train' for directors is just inflammatory bollox.  There is no gravy to be supped up.  I don't question their motivation but I do seriously question their ability and acumen. A few examples:

Extending DL's contact 

The period ie ending in September for the contract

DGW return loan

Frying pan to fire Broadwood to NDP

Revolving door of same old faces, who have failed, on board

Duffy / McLean appointment

Chairman's statement made in hope and not based on evidence.

So you don’t think Duffy is just there for the money as he is a shit manager and the board are scared to get rid of him 

4 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

First of all, apologies for the slightly long-winded and probably self-indulgent post, but I feel like a Sunday morning vent so here we are 😂😂

I remember first asking the chairman during a meeting last year - can’t remember which one - that the club was in a state of decline and it was greeted with a mild sense of surprise and incredulity that anyone would ever think that. Yet, here we are and two games in, the rot is well and truly set in for another long and brutal season. Once again, there is nothing tangible to excite the fanbase beyond a Crownpoint application which we look underdogs at this stage to secure and a suddenly announced investment which we’re only getting the benefit of at the time when the vast majority of the quality players are already signed up.

I don’t sneer at a single club in this division because they all have at least one of three critical things you need for a successful operation - on-field success, competent stewardship and community connection. I envy them for having these things. 

There is no divine right to success but the whole attitude around the club is a complacency that because we were half decent almost two decades ago, then we’ll be fine. 

I miss most of the games these days but my job means I watch another club on a Saturday on a regular basis and the comparison between the way they operate on and off the field just makes me even more frustrated at how things are going with Clyde.

The game on Wednesday is one of the few I could make because the two teams don’t clash for once, but there will be no chance at all, it’s just a waste of time at the moment. It’s not about the fact we’re losing so much - I’m used to that with Clyde over the years 😂😂 - but I don’t even see a reason to invest the mental space at the moment. I don’t even check what the score is until I come back from the games right now.

We talk about growing the fanbase but I’m a fan just approaching 30 and have no intention to engage with the club - beyond my monthly contribution - until there is a sign of life. At the moment we’re just flatlining towards an existential crisis and I can’t bear to watch it.

I hate to disappoint you, but if you substituted the name 'Dumbarton' for 'Clyde' in there you would lose nothing in accuracy.

7 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I hate to disappoint you, but if you substituted the name 'Dumbarton' for 'Clyde' in there you would lose nothing in accuracy.

Dumbarton have their own stadium FFS we are an amateur operation and team.Dumbarton are light years ahead of us but to be fair we have Gordon Thomson and Jim Duffy 🤔

38 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Dumbarton have their own stadium FFS we are an amateur operation and team.Dumbarton are light years ahead of us but to be fair we have Gordon Thomson and Jim Duffy 🤔

Gordon Thomson I know you are reading this chat.It is time for you to do the honourable thing and step down as chairman and allow the club to move forward.You are holding the club back with the bad decisions you are making and surrounding yourself with yes men.Time to leave as you aren’t good enough.

1 hour ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

We have our own stadium do we ?  Well,  we may find out soon just how secure it is. 

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

I believe your squad this season will allow you to qualify for the on-field part of things, whether you associate winning L2 as hitting that threshold. It’s a hell of a lot more exciting on that front than we have to look forward to!

You also have a community to represent and harness positively at the moment, although I’m not in a position to say either way how effective that process has been with Dumbarton. We currently have a nomadic existence in Hamilton, hopefully Crownpoint can help move us forward on this 🤞

1 hour ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

You massively underestimate the precarious position we currently find ourselves in under our absent owners and yes men on the board. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - Clyde would fare much, much better on the pitch if they ditched the current setup for a semi competent manager who just signs his own players. Off the park I can’t comment as I don’t know the ins and outs of that but there is absolutely nae need for a director of football and a manager at this level, despite some guy on here dying on his sword over the subject and banging on about “football departments” whatever that means. We too have a board who take f**k all to do with the football side of things but it still doesn’t require a director of football.

6 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Our football setup is completely flawed as you say. Our rookie head coach doesn’t have a clear identity on how he wants to play. It should be the head coach that is dictating who the DOF recruits to fit into his system and style. Instead we’ve got McLean trying to cobble something together from the old pals and young boys that Duffy is signing. It’s an impossible task, Pep would struggle to make something coherent out of that shite.

I would like someone to remind McLean of his ‘fittest team in the league’ bollocks then ask him to comment on Ross Forbes fucking waddling about for 90mins yesterday. That was embarrassing.

This isn’t rocket science.Get rid of Duffy and his rookie manager and bring a manager in with a proven track record.The main problem is Gordon Thomson and his cronies.I’m sick listening about crownpoint.We will be in the lowland league and it won’t matter although it is a pipe dream.

What incentive is there to turn up and support the team at the moment? In the two ‘home’ games I’ve attended this season I’ve seen us soundly beaten by a highland league side and a team recently out of the lowland league. I have seen nothing in either match to think things will click or improve it’s just been eye bleedingly dreadful on both occasions. We’ve barely troubled the opposition or looked coherent never mind in control of the match. I have zero appetite to go and watch more of that, especially against a uni team midweek.

Our attendances are awful these days, a combination of the awful product and playing at Hamilton. How much money is it costing us having crowds that are at least a couple of hundred bodies down on broadwood.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

What incentive is there to turn up and support the team at the moment? In the two ‘home’ games I’ve attended this season I’ve seen us soundly beaten by a highland league side and a team recently out of the lowland league. I have seen nothing in either match to think things will click or improve it’s just been eye bleedingly dreadful on both occasions. We’ve barely troubled the opposition or looked coherent never mind in control of the match. I have zero appetite to go and watch more of that, especially against a uni team midweek.

Our attendances are awful these days, a combination of the awful product and playing at Hamilton. How much money is it costing us having crowds that are at least a couple of hundred bodies down on broadwood.

Been at both the games against Brechin and Bonnyrigg, can’t remember 2 more insipid and depressing performances. They just had nothing about them.

There was zero urgency in either game at a goal down to get back level. I understand McLean by nature isn’t one to shout and bawl, but there also doesn’t seem like much coming from the bench either. 

The team has too many players not up for a fight, particularly Cameron and Conor Scullion yesterday. But Cameron has never shown anything like that since coming in, I’ve not disliked a player as much as him for years. 

If there is money to spend, it needs spent quickly. A left back, winger and striker should be the priority positions. 

After the last 2 games I’d struggle to say when I’ll be back, because as it stands it’s simply not worth the £17 to watch that level of performance. 

Reading this thread, I seriously wonder why Clyde fans don’t just stop going. I could rhyme off a long list of good reasons, in particular the contempt that the board has had for the supporters for many years. For me, signing DG (the first time!) was the final straw, especially when no-one on the board could even be bothered to respond to my emailed complaint, despite the fact that I was a third generation season ticket holder of (too) many years. There is life beyond this self-inflicted torture. Stop going; go to see football elsewhere. You might even regain your love for the game and decide to invest your support, and your hard-earned cash, in a proper football club. You know it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Kempes said:

Reading this thread, I seriously wonder why Clyde fans don’t just stop going. I could rhyme off a long list of good reasons, in particular the contempt that the board has had for the supporters for many years. For me, signing DG (the first time!) was the final straw, especially when no-one on the board could even be bothered to respond to my emailed complaint, despite the fact that I was a third generation season ticket holder of (too) many years. There is life beyond this self-inflicted torture. Stop going; go to see football elsewhere. You might even regain your love for the game and decide to invest your support, and your hard-earned cash, in a proper football club. You know it makes sense.

Or we can try and force change by boycotting the games and starve the board of much needed cash.

On 07/08/2023 at 11:01, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

You are lucky, I have witnessed those two games and also the one against Hamilton and apart from the 1st 15 minutes or so it has been more of the same. Who in the hell is identifying these players. I don’t want to be too hard on the youngster who have just come in, maybe within time they may make some kind of impact but they are not what we need and we don’t have the time. Forbes and Cresswell Jesus H Christ, totally past it  and no movement whatsoever, I imagine I put in more footstep walking to the ground than they did on the park. Cameron and C Scullion afraid to go into a 50/50, Scullion found out that is the way to get yourself hurt or maybe he was just trying to hide his red neck and started to hobble, Even Sula shat out of one when he over ran the ball and from that moment on his performance and attitude went out the window and looked like he couldn’t care less, not to mention retaining so many of the failures from last season including Duffy, he had one job to keep us up and he failed, so we reward him with a promotion to DOF, fcuking mind boggling.

Edited by Pride Of The Clyde

9 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

30 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I agree with this