Clyde Season 23/24

4 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

Not sure how you can say with any authority that McLean is not the answer given we now know for a fact he has had his hands tied behind his back the entire time Duffy was involved. 

You may well be right but I think the guy definitely deserves a chance to prove he can turn things around given a bit of time. Of course were we to lose the next 3 or 4 games in a row I would agree that he probably isn't the man for the job. Terrible squad I know but I think we need to remember this is League 2 so even a hard working and well organised team of poor players can still get the odd draw/win if properly motivated and managed. I'm going down to Stranraer today to see if we're at least competing and a bit better organised than when Duffy was pulling the strings. 

Well shall we scrutinise his track record?

52 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

I hate being right about this but the next thing that will happen is we will go adrift at the bottom and all the guys on this chat will be talking about crownpoint.We need to change the manager and the chairman now.

46 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

I hate being right about this but the next thing that will happen is we will go adrift at the bottom and all the guys on this chat will be talking about crownpoint.We need to change the manager and the chairman now.

They will be talking about CP alright! My money on the Club will get the vibe and pull out before the official announcement or if they get that timing wrong, will blame Davie Ross for unsettling the the decision makers at CP.

1 hour ago, Right turn Clyde said:

The issue is this is Duffy's squad, not McLean's. Also, since Duffy has gone there has been an improvement in performances, albeit without any points gained. 

Today in particular I feel we were more than worth a point. Not saying we played well or anything. It was still mostly pretty dire stuff but McLean has got them fighting a bit more and we did create a few chances at least - even putting the ball in the net at one stage only to suffer from a dodgy offside call.

My point is that McLean may not be the answer but I still think it's not fair to judge him with only two games gone post-Duffy. I say release some of the funds for a few more loan signings and give the guy at least another month to show what he can do. If the answer is 4 more losses in succession then fair enough, time to find a new manager. 

6 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

The issue is this is Duffy's squad, not McLean's. Also, since Duffy has gone there has been an improvement in performances, albeit without any points gained. 

Today in particular I feel we were more than worth a point. Not saying we played well or anything. It was still mostly pretty dire stuff but McLean has got them fighting a bit more and we did create a few chances at least - even putting the ball in the net at one stage only to suffer from a dodgy offside call.

My point is that McLean may not be the answer but I still think it's not fair to judge him with only two games gone post-Duffy. I say release some of the funds for a few more loan signings and give the guy at least another month to show what he can do. If the answer is 4 more losses in succession then fair enough, time to find a new manager. 

We just got relegated and like any club, the intention surely is to bounce straight back...so we appoint a rookie manager who captained us the year before

when we could hardly buy a win....that appointment in itself is good enough reason for a vote of no confidence in the Board.

Stop being so nice, this is a results based business, look at the results. And before the "decimated  with injuries" excuses appear, someone thought it a good idea to sign injured players then tell us we will have the fittest team in the league. No-one told him we were training on Monday's when players muscles and strains had not the normal to recover.

2 outfield players on the bench today, such a disadvantage.

It's not very good really is it? But let's persevere until it's far too late.

We need bodies in the door now to help bail us out, it’s as simple as that. And I don’t mean wee boys that have never played men’s football, I mean anyone we can get on loan or out of favour elsewhere that has played league football (and can run about). We need to throw some money at it.

We competed well in the main today but the squad is a shambles. Two outfield subs who are both miles off the standard. ONE striker with any SPFL experience who is now crocked, Mullen looks ok but unfair to expect him to be the main man. Mulvanny, like the subs just isn’t good enough.

Hammer blow losing the late goal, didn’t see it clearly as was down the other end edging towards the exit but even before the tannoy I knew who the scorer would be.

Without fresh blood in the door we are in BIG, BIG trouble.

Edited by Clyde01

5 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

We just got relegated and like any club, the intention surely is to bounce straight back...so we appoint a rookie manager who captained us the year before

when we could hardly buy a win....that appointment in itself is good enough reason for a vote of no confidence in the Board.

Stop being so nice, this is a results based business, look at the results. And before the "decimated  with injuries" excuses appear, someone thought it a good idea to sign injured players then tell us we will have the fittest team in the league. No-one told him we were training on Monday's when players muscles and strains had not the normal to recover.

2 outfield players on the bench today, such a disadvantage.

It's not very good really is it? But let's persevere until it's far too late.

You're still ignoring the fact that McLean didn't sign this team and as far as I'm aware he's only been in charge/making any sort of decisions for the last TWO games.

I have always said that McLean may not be the right man for the job but I still think he deserves a bit more time to prove himself given the two key issues above. I understand why you and others are frustrated to the point you want shot of the guy now but my worry is the board could well replace him with someone even worse!

I still want to see him given another few games and, hopefully a bit of cash to strengthen the squad as much as possible before the window closes.

Edited by RutherGlen

8 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

You're still ignoring the fact that McLean didn't sign this team and as far as I'm aware he's only been in charge/making any sort of decisions for the last TWO games.

I have always said that McLean may not be the right man for the job but I still think he deserves a bit more time to prove himself given the two key issues above. I understand why you and others are frustrated to the point you want shot of the guy now but my worry is the board could well replace him with someone even worse!

I still want to see him given another few games and, hopefully a bit of cash to strengthen the squad as much as possible before the window closes.

Yes, I am totally ignoring that fact....he is a rookie and not what's needed whether he recruited this lot or not.

4 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Yes, I am totally ignoring that fact....he is a rookie and not what's needed whether he recruited this lot or not.

I disagree. I think someone like McLean (young manager with lots of enthusiasm) is exactly what we need. Jim Duffy had bags of experience but look what happened with him at the helm. Then there was Chapman, Bomber Brown, Millar, the list goes on. Plenty of guys with vast experience but they were all absolutely useless. 

Of course it's a risk going with McLean but I think it is absolutely one worth taking. I only wish he had been given full autonomy from the outset and then we wouldn't currently be in a position of still not really knowing whether he can do the job or not. 

Edited by RutherGlen

Today I thought he just looked out of his depth and at a loss for what to do. More and more this is my impression of him tbh.

Agnew was animated and telling players where to go, tinkering with the tactics etc. Very little coming from our bench. Fair enough he didn’t have much in the way of subs to make but even directing players or encouraging/reprimanding them is lacking. It’s hard to say if he is just quiet and thoughtful or not got a clue.

1 minute ago, RutherGlen said:

I disagree. I think someone like McLean (young manager with lots of enthusiasm) is exactly what we need. Jim Duffy had bags of experience but look what happened with him at the helm. Then there was Chapman, Bomber Brown, Millar, the list goes on. Plenty of guys with vast experience but they were all absolutely useless. 

Of course it's a risk going with McLean but I think it is absolutely one worth taking. I only wish he had been given full autonomy from the outset and then we wouldn't currently be in a position of still not really knowing whether he can do the job or not. 

He doesn’t have lots of enthusiasm though, that’s part of the problem.

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

It’s hard to say if he is just quiet and thoughtful or not got a clue.

Very good point and I would like to think the former. I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. Assuming he's given a few more games to prove his worth that is. 

Just now, RutherGlen said:

Very good point and I would like to think the former. I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. Assuming he's given a few more games to prove his worth that is. 

How many does he get in all seriousness...we are supposed to aiming for promotion and after 4 league games we are 7 points off the top. Another 4 games and that could realistically be doubled.